gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:39:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS - That's Why God Made The Radio SS member reviews  (Read 67929 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »

Immersion therapy works, I'm living proof - there are several tracks that I wasn't crazy about (or outright hated) upon first listen, but that I've grown to really like after forcing myself to give them more chances.  Like Ron though, I'm still having a lot of trouble getting into "Shelter" and "Beaches In Mind".  I like parts of "Shelter" but Foskett ruins it for me, and "Beaches In Mind" just doesn't do it for me.  

On a different note, one thing I've noticed, which I'm sure has been mentioned on here at some point, is the lack of classic Brian Wilson fades - there's really only one that springs to mind, and that's on the title track.  Hearing a song just fade out during another chorus repeat gets boring after awhile.  It's such a generic thing to do.  The vocal arrangements are very Brian, so I wonder why he didn't make more out of some of the fades?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »

Listening to the end of summer's gone, with the recorded surf merging with the real sound of the sea in the Pacific, obtained, I can assert, the proper effect (I don't think I am original in this observation):  the BB gave voice to the landscape, but they finally fade and surrender their voices to the endless, lonely sea.  If that sounds romantic or even bathetic, try listening to Summer's Gone as described, and your head will fall, heavy with tears into your open hands.

My current hopes?  That they hit the top 5 on the charts Wednesday and that they immediately announce a new album contract as a follow up. But if this is it, we will all have an eternal moment to comfort us in our mortality.

Beaches in Mind?  Try it on the 405, as I did, or in the sand and just let it sweetly slide into your being. 

Great to be writing to you both and best wishes to all.

PS: try those amazon reviews; many are outstanding, learned, and insightful.  No facile Mike-bashing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 08, 2012, 09:40:22 PM »

I think it down down to this. There are plenty of fades on the album, but they're not conventional.

TABTD has an instrumental fade.
TWGMTR has an actual, added vocal-part fade
Bill and Sue has a Brian-invented fade with the radio announcer.
Shelter kind of has a fade as Brian adds more and more syncopated vocal parts to the chorus repeat.
Strange World has a sound effects fade
FTTBA goes straight into the next song
Ditto for Pacific Coast Highway
Summer's Gone has an instrumental / sound effects fade

So that's all but four tracks of the album that have some sort of fade or clear reason to one.

Isn't It Time really needs one. I suspect this is because it was a super-late addition to the record and didn't have time to cook properly.

Spring Vacation, Daybreak and Beaches in Mind are all more conventional tunes, but they all could have been improved by fades. Indeed, Spring Vacation is the kind of tune where a really BW-style, quirky fade would have added some interest to the tune (for me).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »

I think Spring Vacation is great, but I agree some crazy Coda would have made it better.  Something like on "Airplane". 
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »

This album is the best BB's album since Surf's Up. Love You is just as good but comes from a different universe. It is also up there with Lucky Old Sun and the Gershwin alum. I rate it that highly at the moment. It's getting better with each listen. I would have changed the sequencing but have no real gripes other than Daybreak is average. I actually enjoy the production and really can't hear the comparisons to Imagination, it's streets ahead of that album in terms of song quality and production. Love it.

Best since Surf's Up- I agree.

I haven't listened to the new album yet, is it really that good? Better than Holland? I'd say that Holland straight through is near perfect, the only way to make it better would have been to make it a double LP with live tracks like Untitled by The Byrds. But as is, it's probably my favorite BB album besides Friends. Is TWGMTR that good? I'm getting more and more interested in listening to it, but I'm worried that the praise may be a little hyperbolic.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:17:50 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2012, 12:26:45 AM »

This album is the best BB's album since Surf's Up. Love You is just as good but comes from a different universe. It is also up there with Lucky Old Sun and the Gershwin alum. I rate it that highly at the moment. It's getting better with each listen. I would have changed the sequencing but have no real gripes other than Daybreak is average. I actually enjoy the production and really can't hear the comparisons to Imagination, it's streets ahead of that album in terms of song quality and production. Love it.

I haven't listened to the new album yet, is it really that good? Better than Holland? I'd say that Holland straight through is near perfect, the only way to make it better would have been to make it a double LP with live tracks like Untitled by The Byrds. But as is, it's probably my favorite BB album besides Friends. Is TWGMTR that good? I'm getting more and more interested in listening to it, but I'm worried that the praise may be a little hyperbolic.

The worst you can say is that it's not embarrassing. Brian is very involved. And it's pretty much impossible to over praise the closing suite. Better than SIP, Still Cruisin and BB85 without question.

I've no doubt folks will have a more balanced view in time. But for now, this is really a marvelous gift, and that's what folks are expressing.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2012, 12:32:07 AM »

Opinions will differ. For reference my favourite album is Friends followed by Love You. I love Holland and there is no comparison with TWGMTR in terms of sound, performance, mood, songwriting and production, they are entirely different, but for my money I just enjoy TWGMTR more. One thing to note is that Mike Love sounds as good on TWGMTR as he did on Holland. His vocals sound great, there is none of that grating nasal singing which has been in evidence for years.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2012, 04:58:54 AM »

Who cares what anyone else thinks. You are a fan and are on here all the time. If you buy it this week you can get it on CD for $7.99. Go for it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 09, 2012, 06:20:21 AM »

The praise *is* hyperbolic. It's about on the level of MIU, but without the most embarassing aspects of that album. Maybe about as good as LA, at a pinch. It's definitely better than Keepin' The Summer Alive, 85, Still Cruisin' or Summer In Paradise, but nowhere near as good as BW88, Gettin' In Over My Head or That Lucky Old Sun. Better produced than Imagination, but the best songs aren't as good as the best on that album.

But comparing it to any Beach Boys album from 1964 through 1977 (except the Christmas album, Party! and maybe 15 Big Ones) is just unfair to the new album. Probyn was right when he said it sounds like 80s Beach Boys.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 09, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »

The last three songs on the record hold up against anything this band has ever pressed to wax in terms of being emotionally charged, beautiful music. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »

I'm not sure the praise is hyperbolic.  To me, the more I listen the more I like it, and I rather liked it from the start.  But to each their own. 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 10, 2012, 04:09:53 AM »

1. Think About The Days
2. That's Why God Made The Radio
3. Isn't It Time
4. Waves Of Love
5. Shelter
6. California Feelin'
7. Daybreak Over The Ocean
8. Don't Fight The Sea
9. Life Suite

Produced by : anyone but Joe Thomas.

Now, that's a good album.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:29:02 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 10, 2012, 06:08:29 AM »

I haven't listened to the new album yet, is it really that good?

No offense intended, really, but I'm curious, with all of the talk and build up, why you haven't listened to the new album? As someone like yourself who has posted significantly on a Beach Boys' message board and who lists Holland as his favorite album (must be a dedicated fan to have even heard Holland), isn't the curiosity killing you? Cheesy
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 10, 2012, 06:14:20 AM »

The praise *is* hyperbolic. It's about on the level of MIU, but without the most embarassing aspects of that album.

...or indeed, practically any aspect of that album. I really don't see how you can listen to that opening phrase of "Think About The Days" -- probably the most delicate opening to a Beach Boys album ever -- and think "Laaaaaaaast night I went out disco dancin'"...
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 10, 2012, 06:30:27 AM »

Summer's Gone -- I know literally *everyone* else on this board thinks this is Caroline No, Surf's Up and Wonderful combined and made better, but I really, really don't get it. To me this is about thirty seconds of rather dirge-like musical material repeated ad nauseam, with tedious, uninsightful lyrics. I can only presume I'm missing something and that in six months or so I'll say "OH!!! I GET it now!" and hit myself for being so stupid, but right now I can honestly not give this any better than 3/10.

Agree completely with this. Just dont get anything form it. Maybe its because I know JBJ is involved and so developed some kind of mental block about the song

Maybe when you read the RS article and discover that Brian's last words to Carl are some of the song's lyrics your opinion may differ.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:27 AM »

You might have a different opinion of Holland than other people.  Saying it's better than Holland could be hyperbolic to you but it might not be to others.  I'm not ready to say that, but I think there are 1 maybe 2 songs better than anything on Holland. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 11, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »

First of all, I think the very existence of this album is a miracle, and I'm very grateful to have it!

Now that I've had a chance to play it multiple times, I really like this album. I love the title song and "Think About the Days" (stunning!), and "Isn't It Time" has become an instant earworm -- I keep waking up with it running in my head.

As for the last three tracks, it's great to hear Al singing the lead on "From There to Back Again" and there are some gorgeous harmonies on PCH. "Summer's Gone" is still my stumbling block. It's pretty, but it just doesn't work for me as an album ending. I keep wanting to hear something else after it, to complete the album in my mind (another "Southern California"-type song, for example). The way it is now, it feels unfinished. (I suppose that could be intentional, so that we'd be left wanting more.)

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 11, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »

First of all, I think the very existence of this album is a miracle, and I'm very grateful to have it!

Now that I've had a chance to play it multiple times, I really like this album. I love the title song and "Think About the Days" (stunning!), and "Isn't It Time" has become an instant earworm -- I keep waking up with it running in my head.

As for the last three tracks, it's great to hear Al singing the lead on "From There to Back Again" and there are some gorgeous harmonies on PCH. "Summer's Gone" is still my stumbling block. It's pretty, but it just doesn't work for me as an album ending. I keep wanting to hear something else after it, to complete the album in my mind (another "Southern California"-type song, for example). The way it is now, it feels unfinished. (I suppose that could be intentional, so that we'd be left wanting more.)

That is pretty much how I feel at the end of Pet Sounds. Really it's a Brian Wilson production trait.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »

Just listened to the album in the car today.  I wish Al Jardine had been given more lead vocals, like the lead vocal that starts Isn't it Time, which is catchy, BW is a little rough on that one.   TWGMTR is the standout track, but and From There to Back Again is great, although almost too smooth.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: June 13, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »

Been listening to the album in it's entirety since I bought it.

Think About the Days - Nice opening to the album. Brief but sets the mood.

That's Why God Made the Radio - Love how all the guys's voices are prominent especially in the chorus and tag. Brian sounds great on this. Great song for the lead single.

Isn't It Time - Got me hooked instantly. Jeff has a nice voice but it didn't always fit in with the blend and kind of wished that he didn't sing the high part of the bridge. Still, it's a great song.

Spring Vacation - Grew on me, catchy song, have me an earworm. Traditional Mike-Brian lead is nice to hear. Also nice to hear Bruce have a brief lead.

The Private Life of Bill and Sue - Catchy and the chorus, especially the backing vocals, were stuck in my head. Also like the Carribean vibe in the song. This could make a cool music video with a funny storyline!

Shelter - Another grower. Jeff's voice fits in with this song much better than Isn't it Time. Backing vocals are also nice.

Daybreak Over the Ocean - It's a decent song, but my problem is that it's a bit wordy. Probably be a little better with the lead rerecorded. Also gave me an earworm as well on the bring back part.

Beaches In Mind - Another decent song. Did not catch my attention as much as the others but the chorus is catchy. Some people said that fun fun fun was in the lyrics but I did not hear it at all. Still, it's decent.

Strange World - Nice song, like the Spector-esque production. The bicycle bell thing caught my attention on the sample and I immediately thought of "You Still Believe in Me.

From There to Back Again - Amazing song. Al's voice sounds like he never aged. The lyrics are also nice. Kind of reminds me of Surf's Up. Brian was right with the song being meant for Al to sing.

Pacific Coast Highway - Brief but sad and beautiful. Says a lot in a brief song, especially the goodbye.

Summer's Gone - Another amazing song. Some parts of the production, such as the percussion, kind of reminds me of Caroline, No. Brian's vocals are spot -on in this song and the response or echo vocals at the end of a few verses are nice too.

Overall, it is a great album. The type where you have to play the whole thing in order to understand the concept. I knew it was going to be good but they exceeded my expectations by a lot. 11/10
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:07:39 PM by lilgirl91 » Logged

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 13, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »

I refuse to listen to any of the songs in the suite separately or individually.  The whole thing needs to be played through with my undivided attention. 
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 13, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »

The Private Life of Bill and Sue sounds like South America from the Imagination album.

I like PCH and Summer's Gone but they sound more like BW solo tracks than Beach Boys songs.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 13, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »

The Private Life of Bill and Sue sounds like South America from the Imagination album.

I like PCH and Summer's Gone but they sound more like BW solo tracks than Beach Boys songs.

Could say the same thing about the songs on Pet Sounds, too. You're right though, but that's what makes them spectacular songs.
______

The only two songs I've been regularly skipping over are 'Beaches in Mind' and 'Strange World' - I'm hoping the latter song will grow on me, but it's just not working so far. Everything else on this album is incredible.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »

I'm digging the album thus far.  Most of the songs on the album have been enjoyable.  I will admit that "Summer's Gone" is nice, but a bit of a snoozer for me.  They should have closed the album with "From There To Back Again". 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »

The only two songs I've been regularly skipping over are 'Beaches in Mind' and 'Strange World' - I'm hoping the latter song will grow on me, but it's just not working so far. Everything else on this album is incredible.

Gotta say I agree. Something about "Strange World" ... it's as if I've heard it before, though I can't place it yet (and not just the melody that it shares with Beaches In Mind).

The cool thing is that even in these two, there are redeeming points. Namely, the harmony (no mike love intended). Seems like there's always new stuff to pick out, which to me as far as the Beach Boys are concerned = greatness.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx