gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:03:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joe Thomas Interview: On Brian Wilson, the Reunion, & TWGMTR  (Read 13569 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »

This interview finally clarifies something I've always wondered about - the genesis of Lay Down Burden, and whether it was written before or after Carl died.  It always seemed like for every time someone said the song was written before Carl died, with the intention of his involvement, there was someone else (or the same person, potentially, in Brian's case) saying it was written after he died.  Now we know that Lay Down Burden was written after Carl died, as a tribute to him/ a way to respond to his passing, but that Spring Vacation had been written before Carl died, with the title Lay Down Burden and the intention of Carl singing.   Which is not at all the resolution to that discrepancy I expected, but it's nice to know. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »

Hate to be a downer, but if I sit and really think it out, I can very much hear Carl singing the chorus of "Spring Vacation" and several parts of other songs in my head. Shit hurts, man Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 01:14:25 AM »

I like how even though Mr. Thomas contradicts pretty much everything everyone has said about anything, people still believe without a shadow of a doubt his testimonial picture of Brian Wilson as a brilliant sociopath that's spent the last twenty-five years pretending to be consistently crazy and burned out for fun.

And maybe all this time, he thought Be My Baby was a shitty record. Sure had us fooled.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 02:04:56 AM »

"He was talking about the fact he believed that the toilets flushed the opposite way than they did here above, in the northern hemisphere. And he wanted to know if I had any info on whether that was true or not."  Grin
Brian obviously saw that episode of The Simpsons !

Otherwise, a very revealing interview...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:13:55 AM by D409 » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 03:53:48 AM »

I like the fact that Mike had to go to the office and meditate to come up with

Spring Vacation
Good Vibrations
Summer Weather
Were back together

Wonder how deep he had to go to find those spiritual gems?*

*not Mike bashing - just funny

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »

Wonder how deep he had to go to find those spiritual gems?

Hey, did you hear? Bruce LEARNED SO MUCH about songwriting from MIKE (and Brian).

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »

It makes me think of David Lynch's TM-y creativity book. Well, mostly the audiobook. DIVE DEEP, MIKE! DIVE REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL DEEP!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »

If you put it into a much larger perspective, Brian's humor has been about the set-up and put-on since he was in school. Take it to the absolute extreme where there are groups of fans analyzing and forming entire theories based solely on one sentence spoken and forgotten decades ago, and a lot of fun could be had if that's your kind of humor. Or as someone said, a lot of inane or silly questions from journalists could be side-stepped by saying things like "I burned the tapes" or whatever. He's a hard guy to read, that Brian. We have to think that's how he wants it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »

Exactly, he's been playing us for fifty years!   Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »

If you put it into a much larger perspective, Brian's humor has been about the set-up and put-on since he was in school. Take it to the absolute extreme where there are groups of fans analyzing and forming entire theories based solely on one sentence spoken and forgotten decades ago, and a lot of fun could be had if that's your kind of humor. Or as someone said, a lot of inane or silly questions from journalists could be side-stepped by saying things like "I burned the tapes" or whatever. He's a hard guy to read, that Brian. We have to think that's how he wants it.

I guess the put on was that Brian told Joe Thomas "Hey, just wait and see what happens if I give Mike the title Spring Vacation."

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »

It very well could have been.  There's really not much explanation for it, it's completely possible that Brian gave that song to Mike intentionally to get it out of Mike's system. 
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »

What if Brian when tripped on acid he became convinced he was a glass of orange juice? And this whole time he's been a glass of orange juice pretending to be Brian Wilson?
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »

I like how even though Mr. Thomas contradicts pretty much everything everyone has said about anything,

Most of what 'everyone has said about anything" has been a game-of-whispers repetition of alluded-to half-anecdotes and innuendo, with people interpreting whatever fragments they get however they damn well please.

Over the years people here have proved that anything can be spun.  Video footage of Brian being happy and engaged in the studio?  Obviously faked -- not merely restaging the way things actually were for the camera, but faked.  Reports of Brian being heavily engaged in the Gershwin album?  Well, they would say that, wouldn't they.  "Southern California"?  Must be totally written by Scott Bennett and put out under Brian's name (clue: no).  Jeff Foskett saying "Some days I don't know if Brian knows how to tie his shoes, other days he's really on the ball"?  Somehow only the first half gets heard.

If you want a story that has been consistent over the years?  It's this:  Brian has good days and bad days.  Lately, it seems like his good days have been pretty damn good indeed.

Quite frankly, once we knew that Brian had been deliberately and consistently lying in interviews about the reunion, the image of him as this unthinking zombie-shell became a bit harder to sustain...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »

the image of him as this unthinking zombie-shell became a bit harder to sustain...

http://youtu.be/TuujTYHCmgs

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 12:55:28 AM »

Most of what 'everyone has said about anything" has been a game-of-whispers repetition of alluded-to half-anecdotes and innuendo, with people interpreting whatever fragments they get however they damn well please. If you want a story that has been consistent over the years?  It's this:  Brian has good days and bad days.  Lately, it seems like his good days have been pretty damn good indeed. Quite frankly, once we knew that Brian had been deliberately and consistently lying in interviews about the reunion, the image of him as this unthinking zombie-shell became a bit harder to sustain...

Brian has no compunction about lying when 1.) it suits his purposes, 2.) it shuts down an interviewer 3.) it amuses him.

We just realised that Brian is who he is.. He plays us like fools.. He has been planning this for years..

This is what makes me just love the guy.  There is a method to his madness and is extremely unmovable otherwise.

He said he burned the Smile tapes too, and then had that moment of truthfulness on a chat (in 2000? 2002?) where he reassured the fans that he knew where the tapes were and that Smile would come out in time. So how long had he planned THAT? Who knows what's really going on in his head?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
A hurdle to me represents lots of mental effort and extreme mental stress. It’s like a woman having a baby. What stress! To go through that! And for that big baby to come out of that little vagina. NOBODY KNOWS HOW THAT’S DONE! Someone can try to explain it, but you see the woman afterwards and she’s cool.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:57:15 AM by kappa » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 05:21:50 AM »

We just realised that Brian is who he is.. He plays us like fools.. He has been planning this for years..

This is my impression.

Brian has no compunction about lying when 1.) it suits his purposes, 2.) it shuts down an interviewer 3.) it amuses him.

Barely 10 percent of his interviews these days are worth anything. And even those contain big swaths of untruth.

I think that my be why Brian's stock response to the question "what come next" is the old line about the rock 'n roll record.

There IS no rock 'n roll record. But it shuts up interviewers and keeps the fans happy. Then Brian can actually go away and do whatever it is he wants to do. Which probably isn't a whole record of rock 'n roll.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 05:48:48 AM »

This is my impression.

Barely 10 percent of his interviews these days are worth anything. And even those contain big swaths of untruth.

I think that my be why Brian's stock response to the question "what come next" is the old line about the rock 'n roll record.

There IS no rock 'n roll record. But it shuts up interviewers and keeps the fans happy. Then Brian can actually go away and do whatever it is he wants to do. Which probably isn't a whole record of rock 'n roll.

I think others in Brian's camp have said that Brian's big wish is to record a rock 'n roll record. So if it's a lie, it's one that (a) Brian's camp believes or (b) it's a lie they go along with for the hell of it.

Songs like 'Goin' Home', 'Morning Beat', the arrangements on 'We Belong Together', 'You've Got A Friend In Me' really tell me that Brian loves rock n roll and that he wants to record more of it.

And seriously, most BW fans probably don't want a whole album of Spector influenced, heavy moog, heavy guitar songs - so why he'd say that to keep the fans happy is beyond me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:51:27 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »

And seriously, most BW fans probably don't want a whole album of Spector influenced, heavy moog, heavy guitar songs - so why he'd say that to keep the fans happy is beyond me.

I'd love to hear a BW album like that! Actually, if there is another Beach Boys' album, with Mike Love and David Marks on board, I'd like nothing more than that.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »

I'd love to hear a BW album like that! Actually, if there is another Beach Boys' album, with Mike Love and David Marks on board, I'd like nothing more than that.

Agreed. I would LOVE that.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »

That's the Beach Boys album I'd want.  I mean, really, I'll be thrilled if they release anything new at any point, but I'd love to hear them do the "rock and roll" album.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »

Oh no doubt! Me too! (Did you see my post in the demands for the next Beach Boys album??? I want every song with moog synths and crazy chords haha)

I'm saying that you're average Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan is not looking for that. They love songs like 'I Get Around' and 'California Girls' - Brian knows that most Beach Boys fans have never heard of 'Love You' - So when Brian says he wants to record a whole heavy RnR album I really doubt he's trying to please the majority of his fanbase.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »

Oh no doubt! Me too! (Did you see my post in the demands for the next Beach Boys album??? I want every song with moog synths and crazy chords haha)

I'm saying that you're average Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan is not looking for that. They love songs like 'I Get Around' and 'California Girls' - Brian knows that most Beach Boys fans have never heard of 'Love You' - So when Brian says he wants to record a whole heavy RnR album I really doubt he's trying to please the majority of his fanbase.

You wouldn't consider I Get Around Spector-esque Rock & Roll?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »

I think you're missing my point Roll Eyes

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »

I think you're missing my point Roll Eyes

Care to explain rather than "rolling your eyes?"
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »

I like the fact that Mike had to go to the office and meditate to come up with

Spring Vacation
Good Vibrations
Summer Weather
Were back together

*not Mike bashing - just funny

According to Joe Thomas, Brian Wilson wrote those words, not Mike Love.  Joe said in an interview that Brian wrote the chorus and Mike wrote the verses part of that song.  Since Brian is in charge of music and Mike is not, I assume Joe was referring to the lyrics.  Brian also came up with the phrase "easy money," which was the first set of words he had to go with "Spring Vacation," the title of which Brian also thought up.  Although I'm not sure why it would take a meditation session to come up with Mike's verse lyrics, either, which aren't much better. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx