gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:38:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 23: Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA 6/1/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 58314 times)
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »

What a great show that was!  Highlights to me were 'Please Let Me Wonder', 'IJWMFTM', 'Don't Back Down', the tributes (Forever and GOK) and...sorry...'Rock and Roll Music' which seemed to fit real good and was a fun rocker when it showed up in the second set.

Liked both of the new tunes, and am looking forward to going out tomorrow to get the record.

What a cool time to be a long time fan!!!

One song I would have wished for:  Surf's Up

P.S. Saw Brian on the second SMiLE tour here in '05. This show was every bit as fun. It's so great to see the whole gang together again (last time I saw the whole lineup was in '86).

Does anyone think the whole band would ever tour again or is this it?
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »

Another write up about the Berkeley show on the Beach Boys Britain Board...

Check the link:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1338912036&user=bellagio

Dogbone
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »

Late to the game, I realize, but I thought I would share the email I sent to my former bandmates. They were subjected to countless hours of Smile and PS outtakes for many years trapped with me in a van crossing the country. I'm surprised the H&V vocal outtakes alone didn't cause them to dump me off in the middle of Kansas.

The Beach Boys were, there's no better way to put it, fucking awesome.

Man, not what I was expecting.

I never could have dreamed of seeing them own their catalog the way they did.

Fears going in:
Mike being an annoying prick
Brian sitting with his hands on the keys and staring into space
Brian's amazing band covering all the vocal parts (great, but not the Beach Boys)
A very unadventurous set list

Mike was actually funny and sounded good after three days rest. He even seemed touched when talking about Carl.
Brian was playing piano almost the whole time and was actually in the mix. He sang lead on a bunch of songs and never needed to be covered (except for the falsetto parts which Jeff Foskett handles).
They played 46 songs! Including every hit, but also about 12 lesser known songs and two new ones.

Their vocals were stunning and on several songs only one or two of the back up band were singing.

The great thing about Brian's band is they do what the 70's and 80's touring juggernaut never did; they stay true to the sounds of the records (tones, timbers, instruments). So, you get a French horn on the intro to "God Only Knows" instead of a synth and a six string bass on the "Dance, Dance, Dance" guitar riff.

There were only two guys from Mike's touring Beach Boys. And they were great choices. Brian's drummer is all finesse, like having Hal Blaine handle his original parts. Mike's drummer reminded me of you, David. He rocked with taste. And he is none other than John Cowsill of the Partridge-family inspiring 60s family band The Cowsills. He just gave everything a bit of extra energy. He was also, by the way, in Tommy Tutone and sang backgrounds and played drums on Jenny (867-5309), so the two of you also have that in common.

Anyway, I think Houston is sold out, but this is well worth seeing. Shocking really. Maybe I just caught them on a good night...a sold out show in California after a three day break, but 8000 others and I were floored.

I exchanged a few words with Al after the show as he signed autographs.

And I got the set list.

Love and mercy,
Dan
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcfybeRupo&feature=player_embedded

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »

Quite a billing:  "Scott Bennett and The Beach Boys "

Did Scott's dad film that?  LOL
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »

Some of the best quality footage taped on this tour...right up front and HD...dig it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKpmPGmKUo&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99R-zcKGQ4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmQm-Ykmlw&feature=relmfu
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »

Some of the best quality footage taped on this tour...right up front and HD...dig it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmQm-Ykmlw&feature=relmfu

Awesome !
And catch Brian singing the falsetto part during the outro and Brian and Mike together at the end  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx