gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681379 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 10:21:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 23: Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA 6/1/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 59015 times)
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »

Surf's Up would be awesome!, if neccesary, i suppose they could rotate it with IJWMFTT
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »

O.K., I will attempt a review (at least some essentials).

They could jettison It's O.K., the 2nd song from the new album, R&R To the Rescue or Barbara Ann, not to mention the obligatory "Kokomo" which would disappoint many fans by its exclusion I guess.

Wow. R&R to the Rescue is such a cool addition to the set! A cool, underrated song from the '70s

O.K., Mr. Smarty Pants, I meant R&R Music of course, writing in a rush late at night. Wink
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:48:30 PM by MutedTrumpeterSwan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »

I'll probably post more later on the show. But quickly, I'll say this. I can be pretty analytical about this kind of stuff and I'm the last person to make a snap judgment of how amazing a show could be. But..... This *may* have been the best show I've ever seen....... Beach Boys-related or otherwise.....

I've seen enough of these guys to know when it's an "on" night for the band and the audience. The band was "on", all the members were "on", and the audience was great and not annoying as some "casual" masses of fans can be. Great setlist. A "new" addition to the setlist. Everybody in good mood and good voice. Good sound. Great weather. My seats were way better than I assumed they would be. Bought some swag at the merch stand. Will probably buy more on the website.

The only way it could have been better is another hour-long set.........
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:01:48 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »

With all the original singers taking their original vocal parts (except Brian giving his falsettos to Jeff), why does Brian always sing Mike's lines on Add Some Music, when Mike is standing right there?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »

Mike's not singing his line in Marcella either.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »

WOWOWWOWOWOWOW.

I'm going to post more later when I can get my thoughts/photos/videos together but wow! That was easily one of the best nights of my life. An incredible show. I nearly keeled over when I heard the first notes of "Kiss Me Baby" (I'd been avoiding peeking at previous set lists and had NO idea it was coming.)

Looking back at the other recent reviews of the shows on this site, I have to guess that Brian was quite as "on" this show as recent others. There weren't any incidents or anything, but he seemed to be wanting to get it over with.

Not complaining though, at all. I am beyond elated.

Photos to come!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2012, 02:19:59 PM »

Yeh I noticed BW seemingly randomly getting really into certain songs. I noticed he was singing along to songs here and there, and playing the keyboard quite a bit more than I expected. He was rocking around and making weird hand gestures during 'Disney Girls', and I think he was playing along to 'All This is That' as well. Wish I could remember more details.

ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

Yeh I noticed BW seemingly randomly getting really into certain songs. I noticed he was singing along to songs here and there, and playing the keyboard quite a bit more than I expected. He was rocking around and making weird hand gestures during 'Disney Girls', and I think he was playing along to 'All This is That' as well. Wish I could remember more details.

Oh I didn't even notice that. I had a pretty bad view of him. I was in the front row but I was in front of Al, so for the most part, all I saw was the top half of his head and the rest was covered by piano. So I'm only basing this on what I heard and when I watched him during Add Some Music.

Brian was a cut up during the soundcheck, though.

Scott T: "Brian, what song do you want to sing?"
Brian: "Do It Again"
Everyone: "......."
Mike: "Yeah I want to do that one too."

Brian: "Perfect, teleprompter, perfect."

And then when he just got up, walked across the stage, and started gesturing for the entire audience to leave. HAHA.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

With all the original singers taking their original vocal parts (except Brian giving his falsettos to Jeff), why does Brian always sing Mike's lines on Add Some Music, when Mike is standing right there?

For the same reason Dennis sang "Help Me, Rhonda" in the early seventies with Al standing on stage with him.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »

The BOYS were at Google yesterday afternoon for the Q and A.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »

Oh I didn't even notice that. I had a pretty bad view of him. I was in the front row but I was in front of Al, so for the most part, all I saw was the top half of his head and the rest was covered by piano. So I'm only basing this on what I heard and when I watched him during Add Some Music.

Brian was a cut up during the soundcheck, though.

Scott T: "Brian, what song do you want to sing?"
Brian: "Do It Again"
Everyone: "......."
Mike: "Yeah I want to do that one too."

Brian: "Perfect, teleprompter, perfect."

And then when he just got up, walked across the stage, and started gesturing for the entire audience to leave. HAHA.

Brian was a cut up during the soundcheck, though. And then when he just got up, walked across the stage, and started gesturing for the entire audience to leave. HAHA.

Brian left the soundcheck early because he wanted to get something to eat. The best "bantering" went on between Mike and Jeff.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »

Wish I'd been there in my Old Blue and Gold CAL Bear sweatshirt and probably an SF Giants cap (sorry Les, the old green satin tour jacket "shrunk" a bit since '82.)  California Saga - all right, about time.

During "Be True To Your School" a big "Cal" banner was shown on the screen behind the band. BIG applause went up.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »

Ivy, that wasn't you in the front row standing up and screaming stuff at Mike Love before they started "All This Is That", was it?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »

The BOYS were at Google yesterday afternoon for the Q and A.

It seems I posted a picture of that in this thread. I really don't know what theat means, though. Is it something like a video interview?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »

did Mike sing it or Al?

Brian opened it, then Mike & Al sort of started in unison, and Al was looking at Mike kind of funny like, "Aren't you singing this?" ... and then he sort of seemed to realize Mike didn't quite know the words beyond the first verse, so he took over.

Al said: "We figured Berkeley is the perfect place to place this ... that was from 1973, the Holland album".

Weird thing is the backdrop screen had 'jazz cigarette' smoke going through the whole song (and only this song) !

here is why that probably happened. on may 19th scott emailed me saying al was wanting to do calif saga. kept asking scott about doing it. scott asked me for copies of the song. i sent him the versions i had. yesterday they did it at soundcheck. at dinner brian asked scott across the dinner room if they were going to do that song that night. brian told scott that al didn't think they were ready to do it and what did scott think. scott told brian that he thought it went pretty well at soundcheck. brian asked scott to talk to al about the song. so scott talked al into doing saga last night. scott said brian wanted to do that song last night and was happy that they did it. so that explains that about al and mike and the lyrics.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »

California Saga went off without a hitch. Mike said they hadn't done it in many years, but you wouldn't know it - you'd think it was a regular staple in their set. Outstanding vocal by Al - you could hear every word clearly. Can't remember if Brian did the intro like he did on the record. The whole band was into it and it brought a loud applause. Good timing, Al!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »

Some good pictures here from the San Jose Mercury News:

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2012/06/02/beach-boys-at-the-greek/#name here

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »

wished they had done saga at pittsburgh. always liked it and the times i heard it on the radio back in 1973.

angela and i today decided to celebrate our 15th anniversary a couple of months early. today we got tickets for the july tahoe show. so maybe they will do it there also. hope so... Smiley
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:08:30 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »

thanks for the link mikie...

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »

So finally The Beach Boys decides to play California Saga and no one films it ? oh boy..
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »

Ivy, that wasn't you in the front row standing up and screaming stuff at Mike Love before they started "All This Is That", was it?

NO!

hahaha

but that woman sure was transcending somewhere  3D
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »

Mikie,  I didn't see you at the soundcheck.. Did you also get to take a pic with the BOYS?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »

"Saga" was absolutely terrific, performed brilliantly, feel fortunate to have seen it. Really sorry they didn't do "Friends" which will undoubtedly enter the lineup soon.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »

"Saga" was absolutely terrific, performed brilliantly, feel fortunate to have seen it. Really sorry they didn't do "Friends" which will undoubtedly enter the lineup soon.

PROVE IT. NEED VIDEO OR DIDN'T HAPPENED.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »

Didn't they rehearse Friends for the California Saga guys?  Or was it for the BB?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx