gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:56:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 23: Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA 6/1/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 58689 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2012, 02:00:45 AM »

From where I was sitting, IJWMFTT went over well, but not overwhemingly so.  I'm not sure the crowd was that Brian Wilson-centric as one would see at a Brian Wilson solo show.  It seemed like a lot of "slice of life" type people, who were neither Brian fans or particularly big Mike-and-Bruce show partisans.  Just people who had heard of the Beach Boys and knew the big hits.  "Wouldn't It Be Nice" actually got a much more ecstatic reception than any other "Pet Sounds" song played or perhaps even the car and surf songs, probably because it's been in so many film soundtracks as well as on radio.

It was just interesting to watch the crowd and see what they liked, not from the perspective of what I liked, though I thought Brian did a great job of singing IJWMFTT.  The crowd did not seem to be into much of the deep catalog stuff and just sat there for "Marcella," and I thought Brian did a good job with that one.

yeh, i agree with you about the crowd. seemed like 'average' concert-goers. Folks seemed really pumped after the show though. My wife and I walked to the Bart back to Oakland, and I heard a bunch of people talking about how great the show was. One guy going on about how the classic bands just deliver or something like that. "Now I've just got to see the Stones too ..."

but yeh, I could have sworn they gave a standing ovation after "IJWMFTT".
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:02:29 AM by DonnyL » Logged

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:46:01 AM by endofposts » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 02:12:31 AM »

O.K., I will attempt a review (at least some essentials).

The setting was spectacular, at Berkeley's Greek Theatre, where many legendary concerts have been held. Perfect evening, destiny seemed to hang in the air. First special moment was Brian's warbled intro to "Marcella", followed by a very strong vocal performance by BW of the cult favorite. Everyone was in fine voice. Mike introduced "Disney Girls" (couldn't remember which album it was on, and added that Bruce had also written I Write the Songs, but they wouldn't play it due to tome constraints) and Bruce played and sang it excellently, one of the evening's early highlights. Bruce may have been unhappy with the crowd response, commenting (or needling) inscrutably: "we're a California band" when the song ended. Please Let Me Wonder" featured a fine lead vocal from Brian and solid rendition all around. "Don't Back Down", seldom if ever heard before this tour, was the only notable entry in a series of surf songs. Scott Totten's excellent lead on "Ballad of Ol' Betsy", another obscure personal favorite, was quite enjoyable. Fine rendition of "Cottonfields" selected on this night over CA Dreaming. "California Saga" really soared, Al spot-on. Perfect night to introduce this tune to the set. I will say at this juncture that there were moments when the cumulative vibe that was starting to build after a certain sequence of quality, deep-catalog tunes was derailed by a mediocrity inserted at an inopportune time, so that what sometimes started to feel like an early '70s classic period show never had a chance to build creative momentum, whether it be "It's the Time" or whatever the 2nd new song just introduced to the set is called, or "It's O.K", there was a haunting (to me at least) sense of missed opportunity, due to the relatively conservative setlist. No "This Whole World", sorely missed. Jeff's vocal on Don't Worry Baby was serviceable but a bit bloodless, would much rather hear Brian sing it, warts & all. 4-song car medley ended the 1st half.

2nd set opened with "Add Some Music" around the piano, lovely. IJWMFTT with Pet Sounds footage onscreen, delicate and gorgeous. "Sail on Sailor" was also especially poignant on this beautiful evening, Brian struggling a bit with the vocal but valiantly soldiering on. Show-stopper IMO was "All This is That", crystal-clear and transcendent(!) Wouldn't It Be Nice" & "Sloop John B", rock-solid, with a lovely 1st verse on the latter from Brian. Touching video tributes to Dennis & Carl, then an excellent SS version of H&V, the only SMiLE song of the night (criminal. I shouted out a request for "Surf's Up" at the top of my lungs, but alas to no avail of course. Just doing my duty). Another stellar 1st verse for Brian on GV, highlight being the complete newly discovered silent studio footage, only available for viewing during GV on the tour so far, it seems. One long shot I hadn't seen was of Brian singing his part, getting WAY into it, like the shot we've seen when he is coaching Hal Blaine, clapping along. Thus ended the musically interesting portion of the evening. Everyone sung & played very well, the evening was just crying out for more of the creative side of the band's repertoire, at least 3 additional adventurous numbers (Break Away, Country Air, Wonderful, 'Til I Die, Vegetables, Darian singing Darlin', Our Prayer to open the 2nd set, as Al suggested, only to be met with indifference from Love) so that the selection wouldn't be tilted too heavily towards the conservative, at least IMO. They could jettison It's O.K., the 2nd song from the new album, R&R To the Rescue or Barbara Ann, not to mention the obligatory "Kokomo" which would disappoint many fans by its exclusion I guess. Ah, let 'em eat cake! Usual uninteresting encore. All songs performed very solidly, but IMO due to Mike's iron conformist hand on the setlist it narrowly failed to reach the potential heights that the band's concerts at their best are capable of, sorry to say, despite the excellent vocal and instrumental performances. I understand that compromise is necessary for the less hard-core, but it's tilted too far in the other direction to really take off. Unfortunately that's probably what the majority of fans want, at least partially because they've been carefully trained since the late '70s, when the Wilson contingent and the Clean Livers had their cataclysmic split (which Al is on record as having regretted, siding with Love et al) and the oldies revue die was cast when the Wilsons lost that battle, to expect from the BBs. I for one find that very unfortunate, but am certainly thankful to have been able to see them at all last night.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:46:18 AM by endofposts » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2012, 02:31:01 AM »

I'm not saying the car and surf tunes are mediocre, you misread what I said. Plus the original vocal blend (still there to an amazing degree even with Carl & Dennis no longer with us) can't be duplicated at the solo shows, even though Brian's band are technically fine singers. I'm not going to get into an argument with you like a lot of people seem to like to do on this board. I think I gave a balanced opinion, I'm a very old -time fan and resent being lectured. If you are completely happy with what the band under Mike's leadership evolved into, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, just don't get snarky. As I said, I'm very happy that the tour happened, and the concert had many memorable highlights. I just call the band and its history as I see it, and I feel confident that is is one, of many, very valid viewpoints.

Daly, Chicago 1968
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 02:31:17 AM »

I''ve seen a lot of Beach Boys (something over 100 )concerts and this was simply amazing.  Probably in my top 3 of all time dating back to the early 70's.

During the soundcheck, the band performed  Ca Girls, Hawaii, Isn't It Time(twice), California Saga, Then I Kissed Her, Disney Girls, and FRIENDS.  I estimate about 75 people had VIP and Meet and Greet passes.  

The guys were spot on tonight and the band tore up the house!

I didn't get my Country Air but I did California Saga!  Too many highlights to mention but ADD SOME MUSIC was beyond awesome.  It was so cool to see the BOYS gathered with Brian at the piano and play one of my favorite tunes from my favorite album, Sunflower.  They sounded fab!

Good night.  I need to think about all that happened earlier tonight!

Kudos to the band!

Oh, Mike mentioned that the new album comes out on June 5 at least twice.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 02:34:04 AM »

Just trying to do a service for everyone and add my two cents, should've known there would be blowback. Peace, brother.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:39:02 AM by MutedTrumpeterSwan » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »

I''ve seen a lot of Beach Boys (something over 100 )concerts and this was simply amazing.  Probably in my top 3 of all time dating back to the early 70's.

During the soundcheck, the band performed  Ca Girls, Hawaii, Isn't It Time(twice), California Saga, Then I Kissed Her, Disney Girls, and FRIENDS.  I estimate about 75 people had VIP and Meet and Greet passes.  

The guys were spot on tonight and the band tore up the house!

I didn't get my Country Air but I did California Saga!  Too many highlights to mention but ADD SOME MUSIC was beyond awesome.  It was so cool to see the BOYS gathered with Brian at the piano and play one of my favorite tunes from my favorite album, Sunflower.  They sounded fab!

Good night.  I need to think about all that happened earlier tonight!

Kudos to the band!

Oh, Mike mentioned that the new album comes out on June 5 at least twice.

That's good to hear, Les. I was wondering if it was just magical from my perspective, but if it's in your top 3, that means a lot. Really felt some freaky energy out there. I imagined DW walking through the crowd at one point.

FRIENDS !?!?!? holy !@&*!

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 02:39:52 AM »

Last post.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:47:14 AM by endofposts » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »

I rarely post here, so don't lump me in with everyone that gets talked about behind their backs (personal). I was not insulting you personally. It's just that I didn't call the car and surf songs mediocre, and I know full well who Brian's collaborators were, ML among those who did fine work with him.

Daly, Chicago 1968
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 02:51:10 AM »

edited the set list - i just remembered they played 'when i grow up', though i may have the placement wrong.

also, 'kiss me baby' and 'marcella' may have been in reverse order, I can't remember.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 03:01:11 AM »

My prediction for songs that will ultimately be performed on this tour at some point that we haven't yet heard:

1 Friends (cheated!)
2 Break Away
3 Surf's Up
4 Wonderful
5 'Til I Die
6 Caroline No
7 Here Today
8 something from WILD HONEY (I still think "Aren't You Glad" would be the best choice, but more likely "Darlin'" or the title track)
9 Farmer's Daughter
10 Girl Don't Tell Me
11 Salt Lake City
12 Good to My Baby or Don't Hurt My Little Sister
13 Time to Get Alone
14 Cabinessence
15 Cool Cool Water
16 Don't Go Near the Water
17 Lookin' at Tomorrow
18 Good Timin'
19 Honkin' Down the Highway

and some total curve balls ("Day in the Life of a Tree"? "Amusement Parks USA"? "In the Back of my Mind"? "LIFE IS FOR THE LIVING"!?!?)

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 03:41:16 AM »

If they had played "This Whole World", I'd say this is probably the best set yet! Cheesy
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 04:15:30 AM »

They could jettison It's O.K., the 2nd song from the new album, R&R To the Rescue

*massive double-take*

Oh wait, you meant "Rock and Roll Music"!  For a moment my gast was truly flabbered...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2012, 04:31:26 AM »

O.K., I will attempt a review (at least some essentials).

They could jettison It's O.K., the 2nd song from the new album, R&R To the Rescue or Barbara Ann, not to mention the obligatory "Kokomo" which would disappoint many fans by its exclusion I guess.

Wow. R&R to the Rescue is such a cool addition to the set! A cool, underrated song from the 80s.

Ah, wait. Ok, get it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 05:28:22 AM »

This was posted on facebook. I don't know if it's from yesterday but figured it would be. Does anyone know more ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »

Here's a video of Add Some Music from Greek

Boy Brian is really in to it  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elj2Df37nN8&feature=relmfu
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »

Is this what we want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJWuQV2u9ns&feature=related       Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Cry
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 06:55:46 AM »

I hate to complain about the setlist because we're getting an average of 45 songs here in 2012 so I will stick to tweaking it Smiley
I know Mike is firmly in control of the set list as we have yet to see any of his lead vocals dropped.  I feel like it might be time to rotate It's Ok , Little Honda, or Don't Back Down out. I still think Al is not being utilized enough. They add Cal. Saga but drop another of his lead vocals. It's almost like ok Al we'll add your song but you have a limit of 5 songs.  They dropped Youre So Good To Me, if Brian didn't want to sing it let Al sing it. It's always been a good tune live. I don't really get Betsy unless they really wanted to give Scott a lead vocal cause Jeff had one? But Mike and Bruce have been playing that one for years really, it's not that special. If they want to give the back up band another lead Darian on Darlin would be far better.  Just personal preferences I guess.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »

I agree with the comments above. I do wish Al would get a few more leads; he has the best voice of the group by far and sounds great. But in general I've been ok with the setlist; better than what I had oiginally expected it to be honestly, with quite a few chestnuts. And if they reheardsed FRIENDS at the sound check, that would lead me to believe that's one of the songs that the California Saga kids will be performing with the band on Saturday. Perfect choice, IMHO.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2012, 07:20:46 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: Today at 01:46:01 AM by endofposts »

Why did you delete your posts? Did I miss something???

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2012, 07:38:23 AM »

delete

Whatever they were, it's a blessing

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »

delete

He deleted it because he was being obnoxious! I think he was raggin' on Hal (Mutedtrumpeterswan) who hardly ever posts here anyway. Why bother nit-picking a review - the guy's taking the time to post a review of the concert through what he saw in his own opinion. And it wasn't even objectionable or harmful. Damn, give the guy a break.

Good review, Hal!  No need to feel guilty or apologize for anything you posted. Glad you enjoyed the show. I did too!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »

This was posted on facebook. I don't know if it's from yesterday but figured it would be. Does anyone know more ?

They did some kind of Q&A at Google, but I can't find more info about it.

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »

Wish I'd been there in my Old Blue and Gold CAL Bear sweatshirt and probably an SF Giants cap (sorry Les, the old green satin tour jacket "shrunk" a bit since '82.)  California Saga - all right, about time.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx