gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 23: Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA 6/1/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 58317 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »

At Al's solo show at Fingerprints Records a while ago he hinted that "California Saga" might make the set on the tour.  Hopefully he can remind the band about adding it.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »

I want All Summer Long back in the setlist.

Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »

Mikie,

I'm sure we won't be hearing Student Demonstration Time but it sure would be appropriate for tonight!   I think you can run from the Greek Theater to People's Park in less than 10 mins!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »

See you there, Les.   

I'm expecting a good write-up by Joel Selvin.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »

SouthBay,

I once spoke to Carl in the 90's about the Boys coming out for an encore and opening up with Country Air.  He loved the idea!!  I still hold out hope that the spirit of Carl will bring Country Air out during this tour.   

My seat will give me dead on center view of the action! 

I'll be looking for the Smiley fans!  Come and say hello!

I'll change my vote from "Aren't You Glad" to "Country Air" with this new information.

I sent all of the Beach Boys fan letters in 1993 at age 14.  Carl was the only one to respond and sent me an autographed photo.  I hope to feel his presence at the show as well.

Very cool, Donny.  And how cool of Carl to have responded!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »

SouthBay,

I once spoke to Carl in the 90's about the Boys coming out for an encore and opening up with Country Air.  He loved the idea!!  I still hold out hope that the spirit of Carl will bring Country Air out during this tour.   

My seat will give me dead on center view of the action! 

I'll be looking for the Smiley fans!  Come and say hello!

That would be just great!

Country Air and some of that Wild Honey!   Wink

Have a blast!  You are flying First Class!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »

Hot time in old Berzerkeley tonight!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:16:13 AM by MutedTrumpeterSwan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:45:18 AM by endofposts » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »

They did "California Saga." 

YESSSSS!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »

They did "California Saga."

Dumb question: The whole "Saga" or just the (On My Way To Sunny) Californ-i-a part? Though,  I think I could probably guess the answer to that one. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:17:59 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »

California Saga?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:30 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:48:29 AM by endofposts » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »

did Mike sing it or Al?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 12:28:19 AM »

did Mike sing it or Al?

Al, though Mike may have doubled him or sang parts of it.  I don't remember exactly, and I was focusing on Al.  Mike gave him nice introduction for the song, saying Al lived in Big Sur and was going to sing a song about California, then the intro to that part of the song started to play.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »

Let's see if I can remember this ...

1 Do It Again
2 Little Honda
3 Catch A Wave
4 Hawaii
5 Don't Back Down
6 Surfin' Safari
7 Surfer Girl
8 Please Let Me Wonder
9 Marcella
10 Kiss Me Baby
11 Disney Girls
12 Then I Kissed Her
13 Isn't It Time
14 Why Do Fools Fall in Love
15 When I Grow Up
16 Cottonfields
17 It's OK
18 Be True To Your School
19 Ballad of 'Ole Betsy
20 Don't Worry Baby
21 Little Deuce Coupe
22 409
23 Shut Down
24 I Get Around

25 Add Some Music
26 California Saga
27 Sloop John B
28 Wouldn't It Be Nice
29 I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
30 Sail on, Sailor
31 Heroes and Villains
32 In My Room
33 All This Is That
34 That's Why God Made the Radio
35 Forever
36 God Only Knows
37 Good Vibrations
38 California Girls
39 Dance, Dance, Dance
40 Help Me, Rhonda
41 Rock and Roll Music
42 Do You Wanna Dance?
43 Surfin' USA

44 Kokomo
45 Barbara Ann
46 Fun, Fun, Fun

(order might be slightly off + I might have missed a couple)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:49:51 AM by DonnyL » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:28 AM »

Did Brian sing the beginning?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 12:30:31 AM »

By memory?  Very impressive Donny--thanks Cool
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »

did Mike sing it or Al?

Brian opened it, then Mike & Al sort of started in unison, and Al was looking at Mike kind of funny like, "Aren't you singing this?" ... and then he sort of seemed to realize Mike didn't quite know the words beyond the first verse, so he took over.

Al said: "We figured Berkeley is the perfect place to place this ... that was from 1973, the Holland album".

Weird thing is the backdrop screen had 'jazz cigarette' smoke going through the whole song (and only this song) !

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 12:42:18 AM »

did Mike sing it or Al?

Brian opened it, then Mike & Al sort of started in unison, and Al was looking at Mike kind of funny like, "Aren't you singing this?" ... and then he sort of seemed to realize Mike didn't quite know the words beyond the first verse, so he took over.

Al said: "We figured Berkeley is the perfect place to place this ... that was from 1973, the Holland album".

Weird thing is the backdrop screen had 'jazz cigarette' smoke going through the whole song (and only this song) !
I'd love to hear Al sing the whole song, or have Al & Mike trade off the verses.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »

Wow, now if that ain't fanservice.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:19 AM »

Overall: transcendent, spiritual show. I'm not 100% certain, but I think Mike was a bit choked up after 'God Only Knows' (I know I was). Definite high point for me was 'I Just Wasn't Made for These Times'. REALLY came together, everything felt just right. Highlights from the first set were "Disney Girls", "Then I Kissed Her" and "Cottonfields". I would have loved to hear "This Whole World" and "You're So Good to Me" instead of "Marcella" and "Kiss Me Baby", both of which came off a little strange. "Why Do Fools Fall in Love", "It's OK", "Betsey", "Rock & Roll Music" & "Kokomo" were the low points for me. Although BW's "find a ride" sounded pretty cool. "Dance Dance Dance" felt weird for some reason too. "God Made the Radio" (the crowd seemed really into it; it felt like a 'hit') came off much better than "Isn't it Time". "In My Room" is placed in a strange spot ... kind of jarring between "Heroes" and "All This is That".  Some TM / spiritual dialog from Mike and Al while introducing "All This is That". Crowd seemed kind of lost during this one, but I was really into it.  And Mike actually said "Berzerkely" at one point. Crowd went nuts during "Be True to Your School" when the 'Cal' logo was shown on-screen (the Greek Theater is essentially on-campus).

The 2nd set from 'Add Some Music' to 'Good Vibrations' was very special, all the way through. There was some kind of wind that came through that chilled me in such a way somewhere around 'Sail on Sailor' or 'Heroes & Villains' that I swore the tributes were coming next.  I kept looking up to the trees, plant life and the sky and feeling a sense of the group's history and what it may have felt like to be at a Beach Boys show in the '70s.

I also became saddened near the end. Because I watched all of these people, young and old, so into 'Fun Fun Fun', 'Barbara Ann', etc ... realizing that this celebratory, life-affirming thing known as an authentic Beach Boys concert is moving toward the end of it's life. And although I saw the group many times in the '90s, none of the shows ever seemed quite this magical ... I realized this is probably the first and last time I will watch and listen to the Beach Boys perform.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:57:00 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 12:55:58 AM »

Are these guys reading the board and actually taking our requests?  Grin It seems that every time somebody mentions wanting to hear a song, they do it.  Smiley  I bet they'll do Darlin' at their next show. It would be cool if they did Big Sur, or even the entire California Saga. I might possibly sell a body part to see or hear them do Funky Pretty. They need Blondie and Ricky though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:45:36 AM by endofposts » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »

Seeing this show made me wonder why Mike had to be such a putz about things over the years.  If he were just a little bit nicer guy, he could have gotten so much more respect instead of scorn.  He's good at what he does, which is front a rock band in concert.  His voice isn't that outstanding or anything, but he delivers the songs well, has a lot of charisma, and somehow can get a crowd going just singing a song.  He's sort of like Roger Daltrey in that way; he personifies what a more introverted songwriter was trying to convey. 

Brian is almost the opposite.  He's not a good showman at all, never was, and he wasn't even the strongest singer in the band.  Carl took a lot of leads that Brian otherwise might have given himself because Carl had a sweeter vocal quality.  Then Mike did songs that fit a certain persona, and Al did the rest that Brian or Carl didn't do, or that Al himself wrote.  Brian's charisma and talent comes from writing and arranging, and knowing which voice and instrument belongs where.  While watching the show, I was thinking that Mike was excellent at getting the crowd involved (the car and surf songs got the biggest overall response), but Brian's genius gave Mike the script.  The crowd loved Brian, too, but more in a way of tribute to him and giving him respect for all that's he's accomplished.  Brian doesn't need to be out front and make big gestures to get the crowd's love and attention, though on the other hand, the reaction he gets is more subdued.  It's interesting to see that dynamic played out and it was something I enjoyed much more than any of the Brian Wilson solo shows I've seen.  The sum of the Beach Boys is greater than the parts, even Brian.

I agree with your post, but didn't you think the show really took off into another dimension with "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"? I feel like the crowd response was overwhelming after that one.  And the performance was so perfect ... it was one of those moments that is really rare. Just captured a lot of emotion.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2012, 01:55:18 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:29:23 AM by endofposts » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx