gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:44:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did Brian not remake Adult Child like he did Smile?  (Read 4206 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 02:55:53 AM »

Why should Brian go through a whole new writing period when he has such unreleased gems under his belt? As pointed our 'She Says That She Needs Me' is an example of my idea. Old composition rerecorded, new lyrics etc. = new good song!

While they're the band's songs to finish, my point with "She Says That She Needs Me" is I'm not really a fan of the new lyric. Can you imagine a "reworked" "Life Is For The Living" with the "Brian is an important person" people in charge? "Life... is for the living! Don't sit around on the couch, bein' a slouch!" or something equally boring would probably come into the equation. In fact, that line still sounds a bit too funny. Quick, someone dress it up in even more boring clothing.

The original recordings are finished and sound fine to me. As I said before, the originals exist in better quality than the bootlegs. Unless something possesses Brian to re-record them, I'd rather just see these songs in their original form on an archival release.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 03:00:51 AM »

There is also the small matter of Adult Child not being very good. Let's break it down.

Life is for the Living: The converted can possibly appreciate this on a Brian-being-Brian level, but I'm sure that Mike Love expressed his noted view on the subject of Adult Child before the end of the eighth bar of its first song.

Hey Little Tomboy: Then again, Mike was apparently happy to sing on this, so who knows what goes on in his mind.

Deep Purple: Having front-loaded the quality, we now hit the filler.

H.E.L.P. Is On The Way: Doesn't count, and it's on the GV box set besides.

It's Over Now: Dick Reynolds' arrangements are tacky Vegas hackery at its worst, and Carl's vocal performances of this period are slightly depressing. As songwriting though, it's as good as everybody says. And it's on the GV box set.

Everybody Wants to Live: Now you're talking. However, we're very much in Love You territory here - sublime for the converted, "Jesus Christ, what is this sh*t?" for the other 99% of mankind.

Shortnin' Bread: Try harder, Brian.

Lines: For me, Adult Child is worth its weight for this alone. Like the best of Love You, it shows Brian's genius cracked but intact. But also like the best of Love You ... see Everybody Wants to Live.

On Broadway: I quite like this actually, in spite of myself. Who's with me?

Games Too Can Play: See H.E.L.P. Plus, not even a good song on its own terms.

It's Trying to Say: Sounds like something that was deservedly left off Love You.

Still I Dream of It: Same deal as It's Over Now. And I do wish someone of good judgement had at least been on hand to give Brian's lyrics a tweak here and there.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 03:03:10 AM »

Pssshhh.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 03:13:29 AM »

As far as releasing Adult Child..

If they sold 500 copies digitally for 10 bucks a pop, that would easily cover Mark's mixing fees + artwork design. The rest is profit.

And sh*t, Mark probably doesn't even need to remix it. Mastering, Artwork, and maybe the mixing of a few unbooted bonus tracks.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx