gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 11:38:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coldplay  (Read 5572 times)
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »

They are a decent band that for whatever reason gets hated on a level that doesn't match any level of anyone "overrating" them. Can I see why many wouldn't like them yeah, I don't get the hate.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »

@Cabinessenceking

"Coldplay songs are about nothing. they hardly have songs about a topic even."

What topics did Beethoven or Vivaldi bring up in their music?

Music is about emotion (good or bad)....for me Coldplay's music gives me a good emotional response...even if the song Yellow is about nothing - it sounds beautiful. Music is about making people happy - who says to get to this point the artist has the write lyrics about a specific ideal or place?

Vivaldi's most recognised piece of music is 'the four seasons'...

Yellow is by all means musically a very good song. But the directionless lyrics and C.Martin's unflattering voice strips it of beauty for me. I like lots of other cuts from Parachutes though!  Grin

My point being that YOU think of them as directionless lyrics - yet they have the ability to convey meaning/emotion to millions of people - Vivaldi has hundreds of other pieces that aren't named (a lot of which I prefer over The Four Seasons) - and they speak on a multitude of levels. I know a lot of poets that, through the use of nonsense imagery paint quite an emotional picture. Art doesn't need to be spoon-fed in order to make an impact.

With that being said: I do see how the latest Coldplay offerings have been crap. MX is horrible compared to their early work (mostly because the lyrics are cliche and the instrumentals cater to 2012 top-40 charts). X&Y was an album that went on about 30 minutes too long haha.

Have you listened to Viva La Vida all the way through? Personally I found it to be quite a beautiful album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »

@Cabinessenceking

"Coldplay songs are about nothing. they hardly have songs about a topic even."

What topics did Beethoven or Vivaldi bring up in their music?

Music is about emotion (good or bad)....for me Coldplay's music gives me a good emotional response...even if the song Yellow is about nothing - it sounds beautiful. Music is about making people happy - who says to get to this point the artist has the write lyrics about a specific ideal or place?

Vivaldi's most recognised piece of music is 'the four seasons'...

Yellow is by all means musically a very good song. But the directionless lyrics and C.Martin's unflattering voice strips it of beauty for me. I like lots of other cuts from Parachutes though!  Grin

Have you listened to Viva La Vida all the way through? Personally I found it to be quite a beautiful album.

I agree. I listened to that album a bunch of times and was impressed. I really dug it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »

Ye I've heard viva la vida many many times, the entire album. a few nice cuts here and there, but again the lyrics have no meaning. I cannot connect with the songs.. Strawberry is good, lost is good, 42 is good, there are many good songs, but they dont mean anythign to me, they pass the grey whistle test, but they are not classic material by any means. Had they been about something rather than nothing i would grant them greater status.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 11:59:19 PM »

Ye I've heard viva la vida many many times, the entire album. a few nice cuts here and there, but again the lyrics have no meaning.

Neither do the lyrics to Surfin' Bird, but that song is a stone-cold classic!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 01:47:26 AM »

Ye I've heard viva la vida many many times, the entire album. a few nice cuts here and there, but again the lyrics have no meaning.

Neither do the lyrics to Surfin' Bird, but that song is a stone-cold classic!

Ye I've heard viva la vida many many times, the entire album. a few nice cuts here and there, but again the lyrics have no meaning. I cannot connect with the songs.. Strawberry is good, lost is good, 42 is good, there are many good songs, but they dont mean anythign to me, they pass the grey whistle test, but they are not classic material by any means. Had they been about something rather than nothing i would grant them greater status.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx