gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:21:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Sequel Songs  (Read 10493 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »

Oh... O.k.  I'll delete those then.  Thanks!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 10:01:47 PM »

Maybe I Know came after You Don't Own Me, so this doesn't really make much sense. Also, I think the whole "Johnny" thing ended with "Judy's Turn To Cry". You could make the case otherwise, but most of her songs from those first two years deal with teenage romance, so they fit in that mold regardless of intent.
And of course those "Johnny" songs were already mentioned in this earlier post, don't know how it slipped out of your sight:

Lesley Gore- It's My Party- Judy's Turn To Cry

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 03:00:36 AM »

Instrumentals are always good for sequels:
"Green Onions" and "Mo' Onions" by Booker T. and the M.G.'s
"Last Night" and "The Morning After" ("Ooooooooh, mah head!") by the Mar-Keys

And speaking of Dee Dee Sharp, there's also her own "Mashed Potato Time" and "Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes)"

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 08:12:16 AM »

"Return to Pooh Corner" - Kenny Loggins

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »

I don't know if this would be a sequel. It surely isn't an answer song, I'd guess. Kinda like an updated (read: relocated) "Jailhouse rock"

Dixieland rock

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 04:12:21 AM »

Hey, folks, you seem to forget the greatest example of sequel - Santa's Goin' to Kokomo! Never cared for it much until I heard today when it came on shuffle. Not better than its predecessor, but still fun, despite Ambha's irritating kid voice.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:13:33 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »

"Judy is a Punk" => "Suzy is a Headbanger" => "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" ... => "Heidi is a Headcase"

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 07:45:29 AM »

"Judy is a Punk" => "Suzy is a Headbanger" => "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" ... => "Heidi is a Headcase"

"Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue"/"Carbona Not Glue!"  Showing the Ramones were willing to explore new vistas....  Drum

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 01:36:42 AM »

Read recently that Neil Sedaka's silly song "Oh Carol" is dedicated to Carole King. She answered back with "Oh Neil".

British band "Kaleidoscope" (don't mix with the US one of same name, which I also very like) recorded a song about fictional girl Jenny Artichoke after hearing Donovan's "Jennifer Juniper". Again, no musical similarity, it's odd compare the 2, but anyway, my choice is Kaleidoscope. It's such a fantastic song & I dig Peter Daltrey's voice. Those into Syd Barrett & young Mick Jagger would be pleased to hear this singer.
"Jenny Artichoke" by Kaleidoscope (UK) is definitely much better than "Jennifer Juniper".

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 05:12:03 AM »

British band "Kaleidoscope" (don't mix with the US one of same name, which I also very like) recorded a song about fictional girl Jenny Artichoke after hearing Donovan's "Jennifer Juniper". Again, no musical similarity, it's odd compare the 2, but anyway, my choice is Kaleidoscope. It's such a fantastic song & I dig Peter Daltrey's voice. Those into Syd Barrett & young Mick Jagger would be pleased to hear this singer.

Agreed, RR. That's a lovely album. I was introduced to it recently thanks to a wondrous list from across the road (scroll down to "The Keepers"):

http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/1427/thesupermetroids-obscure-album-discoveries-recommendations?page=1&scrollTo=63495

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 04:58:48 PM »

As I said in Obsessed by songs thread, I discovered Kaleidoscope (UK & US bands) way back in 2011. Posted songs by them in different years here as well. Strangely, nobody picked up those song posts or cared to listen. Familiar with many obscure albums in that linked PS thread too.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 03:05:36 AM »

As I said in Obsessed by songs thread, I discovered Kaleidoscope (UK & US bands) way back in 2011. Posted songs by them in different years here as well. Strangely, nobody picked up those song posts or cared to listen. Familiar with many obscure albums in that linked PS thread too.

RR, there's a lot to digest here at Smiley so don't take it personally.

Yes, I'm having a great time going through that list--catching up on bits of my past that I missed at the time.

Many thanks to that person. :=)

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »

Del Shannon – “Walk Away” (sequel to “Runaway” co-written with Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne)
https://youtu.be/O62_xeM3kqQ

George Harrison – “This Guitar (Can’t Keep from Crying)” (sequel to “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”)
https://youtu.be/dMzGx_pXP_k

Ben Folds – “Fred Jones, Part 2” (sequel to “Cigarette”)
https://youtu.be/znUsjNI34_4

Bruce Springsteen – “The Promise” (sequel to “Thunder Road”)
https://youtu.be/a7PhILCrtqs

The Kinks – “Destroyer” (sequel to “Lola”, also references “All Day and All of the Night”)
https://youtu.be/A5yuCwmf2fk

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »

2JK: It's just funny bands & songs shared before got passed by when today the same bands/ songs suddenly catch attention.

George Harrison – “This Guitar (Can’t Keep from Crying)” (sequel to “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”)
https://youtu.be/dMzGx_pXP_k
George did better this time. But, "Here Comes The Moon" is lame. "Sun" would do.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »

2JK: It's just funny bands & songs shared before got passed by when today the same bands/ songs suddenly catch attention.

It makes sense to me. Things are quieter now and there are less posts to read. That's all, I'm sure.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2018, 05:57:05 AM »

Barry McGuire's "Eve Of Destruction" is familiar enough but who else has heard the optimistic sequel, "Dawn Of Correction" by The Spokesmen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkGZKOgfOi4

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx