gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:09:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alternate Remastered Albums Selection  (Read 2700 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:07:14 AM »

The remastered albums will be 1963′s Surfin’ U.S.A., Surfer Girl and Little Deuce Coupe; 1964′s Shut Down Volume 2 and All Summer Long; 1965′s The Beach Boys Today!, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) and Beach Boys Party!; 1966′s Pet Sounds; 1967′s Smiley Smile; 1970′s Sunflower; and 1971′s Surf’s Up.

Now i love all these albums and am happy they're getting reissued (yep, even Party!), but i'd dispute that they give the most accurate and definitive over-view of the groups catalogue. Perhaps that wasn't even the intention, however given the choice which twelve Beach Boys albums would you have picked for the remaster/reissue treatment (and you can only pick twelve, ok, no cheating). My choices would've been:

1. Surfin' USA
2. Surfer Girl
3. All Summer Long
4. Today!
5. Summer Days...
6. Smiley Smile
7. Wild Honey
8. Friends
9. Sunflower
10. Surf's Up
11. Holland
12. Love You

After all, do we really need yet another version of Pet Sounds...??
Holland is a masterpiece and deserves far more recognition that it gets.
Oh, and apologises to Shut Down Vol 2, which i adore, but i think in the grand scheme of things Surfin' USA is probably the more important album, so it won out.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:09:22 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:05:05 AM »

No 20/20? No Catp? I'll fight for 'em!

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »

Well i certainly thought this thread would get more of a response than it has done... Oh well. Am i the only the one disappointed by their choice of reissued albums?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

It makes sense - they all have big singles on them, even the otherwise insane Smiley Smile has GV, Party has Barbara Ann etc and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the angle EMI Japan were going for.

The rest will probably follow. Depends how well the first bunch sell!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »

The correct answer is...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All. Not sure why they've limited it to twelve and had the strange omissions. I'm sure we'll see them all (sans SIP, which as much as I'm not into it, was a properly released album. Can't rewrite history, folks), but still.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »

I don't see any point in reissuing FRIENDS unless there's a dedicated mono mix floating around that nobody knows about.  A stereo only issue would make for one very short cd.

Not dissing on FRIENDS.  Just sayin'......
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »

I don't see any point in reissuing FRIENDS unless there's a dedicated mono mix floating around that nobody knows about.  A stereo only issue would make for one very short cd.

Those 25 minutes are worth more to me than 70 minutes of St.Anger or whatever. I don't mind paying for a decent CD reproduction of the original album as long as it's not compressed and limited all to hell.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »

Friends (original 1968 stereo mix) + mono 45 rpm mixes + unreleased tracks from the sessions + some remixes.
I would buy it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »

Friends (original 1968 stereo mix) + mono 45 rpm mixes + unreleased tracks from the sessions + some remixes.
I would buy it.

Now THAT would be worthwhile, and I could see a similar format for everything after FRIENDS (although the 45 mixes wouldn't be mono after Do it Again, but you get the idea).  Sadly, though it looks like SUNFLOWER and SU have already sailed....
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »

What's wrong with short? There's nothing worse than some hour+ album that doesn't know when to call it a day... Besides, Wild Honey was shorter, and Surf's Up - which has been reissued is only five or so minutes longer...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »

What's wrong with short? There's nothing worse than some hour+ album that doesn't know when to call it a day... Besides, Wild Honey was shorter, and Surf's Up - which has been reissued is only five or so minutes longer...
You got that right!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx