gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:57:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loren Daro comments on Brian & LSD (possibly...)  (Read 70126 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »

*Sigh* This is getting really ugly...

This is the sort of thing that causes the people on the Record Room to say what they say about this board.  Of course it isn't all that, there's cool people and discussion here,  but this is getting pretty silly.

Surely you can't critique pointless silly fights/comments on these boards with Spaceman as a main RR contributer   LOL

Meh, it's a meaningless entry in an apparently long-running petty gradeschool message board ping pong competition. There's a thread about this thread going on over there right now talking about our big mouths and small brains. It's infantile and what's worse is they seem to look for just about any excuse to "prove" how superior "they" are to "us". I don't particularly care - board allegiance is a sad thing - but it is an explanation for a few of the messages here.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »

This is the sort of thing that causes the people on the Record Room to say what they say about this board.  Of course it isn't all that, there's cool people and discussion here,  but this is getting pretty silly.

Surely you can't critique pointless silly fights/comments on these boards with Spaceman as a main RR contributer   LOL

Meh, it's a meaningless entry in an apparently long-running petty gradeschool message board ping pong competition. There's a thread about this thread going on over there right now talking about our big mouths and small brains. It's infantile and what's worse is they seem to look for just about any excuse to "prove" how superior "they" are to "us". I don't particularly care - board allegiance is a sad thing - but it is an explanation for a few of the messages here.

Yeah, i edited my post after you quoted me.  But whatever, it really doesn't matter what anyone says about another on here.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:20:12 PM by Runaways » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »

It isn't long-running. That thread is about the same subject as this one, someone just mentioned the discussion about it over here, and that became a part of the conversation. The folks that want to speak negatively about things that are said on this board don't have to look far or obsess over it to find what they dislike. Anyone casting aspersion on that type of behavior here is a hypocrite, that same thing has gone on in several threads here.
Personally, I don't care much about any of it any more really, because the two boards aren't even attempting to do the same thing. This is a conversation board about The Beach Boys that angles towards the fan-casual. The "Beach Boys" section of The Record Room is a splinter section that at times has gone bereft of posts for months at a time. What that place is mainly about is lengthy, ongoing writings on music, such as the marathon Motown, Elvis, Zappa, Dylan etc. threads. It ain't a competition, because it ain't the same race.
There will always be a type of attitude there about this place, just because the two folks who started The Smile Shop are there, and they hate Charles LePage. There are people there who severed their affiliation with the board under bad circumstances. But it is silly, because the same people aren't really involved in the argument, virtually everyone here came along after that. So it is pointless, and the ties should be totally severed, and I would be happy if The Record Room was never mentioned here again. It was a mistake to point out anything that was posted there about the new Beach Boys album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2012, 09:21:22 PM »

It isn't long-running. That thread is about the same subject as this one, someone just mentioned the discussion about it over here, and that became a part of the conversation. The folks that want to speak negatively about things that are said on this board don't have to look far or obsess over it to find what they dislike. Anyone casting aspersion on that type of behavior here is a hypocrite, that same thing has gone on in several threads here.
Personally, I don't care much about any of it any more really, because the two boards aren't even attempting to do the same thing. This is a conversation board about The Beach Boys that angles towards the fan-casual. The "Beach Boys" section of The Record Room is a splinter section that at times has gone bereft of posts for months at a time. What that place is mainly about is lengthy, ongoing writings on music, such as the marathon Motown, Elvis, Zappa, Dylan etc. threads. It ain't a competition, because it ain't the same race.
There will always be a type of attitude there about this place, just because the two folks who started The Smile Shop are there, and they hate Charles LePage. There are people there who severed their affiliation with the board under bad circumstances. But it is silly, because the same people aren't really involved in the argument, virtually everyone here came along after that. So it is pointless, and the ties should be totally severed, and I would be happy if The Record Room was never mentioned here again. It was a mistake to point out anything that was posted there about the new Beach Boys album.

Nice post.  I had never heard of the Record Room, but was happy to hear about it.  Nobody here really talks about the RR as far as I can tell.  The only ones who bring it up are RR posters, so I don't think you'll have to worry about that heh.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »

And now for something completely the same.

DARO: "I was of the Beat Generation, never a hippie... Just re-read what was written about me in books about Brian after many years. It's simply astonishing how so much is inaccurate, made up out of whole cloth. Events that never even happened turned into long, involved anecdotes. I was their favorite voodoo doll, their pens were their needles..."

on the acid trip: "No particular insights -- they came later as the experience sunk in. he did see God, as I thought he might... We discussed every aspect endlessly. It was, to him, a completely positive experience."

Question time for the next volley! I'll add the "typical day" question to that one for wacky sitcom purposes.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:37:21 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »

I'm actually confused by Loren's current "positive" look on Brian's first LSD trip.  Didn't Loren say Brian went into his room and put his head in the pillow, and Brian said he was crying for his parents or something??
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

Right, he mentions that Leaf doc story again first but I snipped it. It's not uncommon to have difficult moments and then laugh about them when you realize it's all in your head and simply getting out of bed or going into another room with "enough of THAT!" is enough to break the spell. I think he means the rest of it was positive.

DARO: "I was around almost all the time in the months following his trip. yes, California Girls, and other later hits emerged during that time. He was at the piano constantly..."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:52:40 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »

Right, he mentions that Leaf doc story again first but I snipped it. It's not uncommon to have difficult moments and then laugh about them when you realize it's all in your head and simply getting out of bed or going into another room with "enough of THAT!" is enough to break the spell. I think he means the rest of it was positive.

DARO: "I was around almost all the time in the months following his trip. yes, California Girls, and other later hits emerged during that time. He was at the piano constantly..."

I wonder what Loren would say to Brian saying he wish he didn't take LSD (though I think Brian overplays what LSD did compared to the antipsychotics).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »

Yeah, his story sure seems to change depending on mood, year, interviewer, color of shirt, etc. I'll ask that, tho.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »

Well, didn't the voice hallucinations start because of LSD?  I guess that's soooorta a big deal
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »

I've never seen Brian speak positively of his experiences with LSD. He always speaks of it "shattering his mind" and whatnot. The folks who run his life surely wouldn't approve of him saying something pro-drug, but when he talks about LSD shattering his mind etc., there's just something in his voice that sounds very genuine with regret. He sounds kind of hurt sometimes, really.

If Loren is really spinning it as positive because hey, while it shattered his mind and made him hear voices that he hears to this day, it directly caused Brian to write his best material (which is debatable, anyway), then that's kind of sick.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:34:25 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »

And yet he'll blurt excitedly that it "gave him" California Girls.

Is he telling the truth when he insists it was just the once? Is that likely?

And can you really draw a straight line from does 125 mics of acid to "hears voices for decades?"

And I'm guessing he was glowing and positive to his hepcat New Best Friend Slash Guru and mulled over the experience endlessly into the night. Those 60s discussions that Lorren is remembering wouldn't be tinged by decades of therapy, Landy's take, Melinda's take, many DECADES of endlessly repeating the same soundbites to the press, etc.

Who knows. How can you write about somebody's acid trip and how it affects their life when the person in question already has more than a few, um, factors going? How is anybody going to arrive at any "answers," anyway...  it's interesting to hear this fella's take, tho.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:18:31 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »

Naw, I agree. Not a simple issue by any means.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

Nice post.  I had never heard of the Record Room, but was happy to hear about it.  Nobody here really talks about the RR as far as I can tell.  The only ones who bring it up are RR posters, so I don't think you'll have to worry about that heh.

People here were happy to bring up the RR when it had information they didn't know about their "precious", that's for damn sure. And on the RR, this place has only been mentioned 2 or 3 times over the last five or so years, to which the response is usually "that place still exists, where people talk about The Beach Boys 24/7?". So, this place, that place, can go back to doing what they do, respectively, and stop wasting time.
Back to Daro. Have fun.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2012, 10:51:25 PM »

There's not even a difference between the boards, and it seems most people who post over there have accounts here too. Whenever the record room is brought up here I go over there and read a few posts and it's all the same sh*t. I mean, Jeff Mason was the one who brought up the record room here in the first place, and he's over in the record room thread rolling his eyes over our discussion of something that *he* brought up.

It's just ridiculous. Nobody cares about whatever stupid feud you guys have with eachother, just shut up about it already. I forget what the source of the drama even was, though I did bother to look through old threads here once to find out and it was some of the stupidest and most inconsequential stuff imaginable. Just drop it you guys, it's moronic.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2012, 10:56:52 PM »

what if you had the power to spray diarrhea all over your car windshield at over a hundred miles per hour

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: May 29, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »

what if you had the power to spray diarrhea all over your car windshield at over a hundred miles per hour
Does it have to be my windshield it would be totally awesome to do this to people

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16:44 PM »

There's not even a difference between the boards, and it seems most people who post over there have accounts here too. Whenever the record room is brought up here I go over there and read a few posts and it's all the same sh*t. I mean, Jeff Mason was the one who brought up the record room here in the first place, and he's over in the record room thread rolling his eyes over our discussion of something that *he* brought up.

It's just ridiculous. Nobody cares about whatever stupid feud you guys have with eachother, just shut up about it already. I forget what the source of the drama even was, though I did bother to look through old threads here once to find out and it was some of the stupidest and most inconsequential stuff imaginable. Just drop it you guys, it's moronic.

I already dropped it, so be quiet, shithead.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2012, 11:26:46 PM »

I'm here. Say what you need to say.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:43 PM »

Butts.

Definitely butts.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: May 29, 2012, 11:39:13 PM »

Butts.

Definitely butts.

Seymour?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »

I already dropped it, so be quiet, sh*thead.

Chill out, my post wasn't even directed at you, rather the topic in general. Watch the attitude, you have a huge chip on your shoulder that is constantly polluting discussion. You may have dropped it in this thread, but it's not like it won't come up again. You seem to be at the center of drama again and again, in this thread, in the new album info thread, in the thread about combining Sunflower and Surf's Up, in the thread about Amazon samples. When your posts are normal there isn't a problem, but you get carried away all too often by posting bitter, condescending remarks. And then when people get angry or call you out on it you just try and dismiss them with an ironic wave of the hand. Just knock it off already. If you're going to drop it just drop it and stop provoking other posters in every other thread you contribute to. It's really tiresome.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 30, 2012, 02:00:38 AM »

It strikes me certain members, yourself included, indulge in a perverse sort of bear-bating where you dip your toe back in to the waters here, then report back about how hopeless this place is. If that's how you get your kicks ....  But spare us the tedious rationalization, please. You have just as strong feelings about LePage as Jon Hunt et al, but at least those guys have the decency not to post here.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 30, 2012, 02:22:05 AM »

I already dropped it, so be quiet, sh*thead.

that was totally unnecessary.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 30, 2012, 07:59:02 AM »

It strikes me certain members, yourself included, indulge in a perverse sort of bear-bating where you dip your toe back in to the waters here, then report back about how hopeless this place is. If that's how you get your kicks ....  But spare us the tedious rationalization, please. You have just as strong feelings about LePage as Jon Hunt et al, but at least those guys have the decency not to post here.

Jon Hunt has posted here, genius. And if you could have been bothered to read what I actually said, you would have seen that there was no rationalisation involved, I was attempting to end the whole thing, with a measure of kindness. But of course, utterly lame jackals like you and Fishmonk have to come along and stoke the whole thing back up.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx