gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:31:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: “Brian Wilson and Friends” Soundstage Special – July 2016 Blu-ray & CD Release  (Read 5656 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »

An Amazon listing popped up for a “Brian Wilson and Friends” Blu-ray release due July 29. For those keeping score, this is the third home video release of the PBS special and its second Blu-ray release.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HE7M8YM/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:58:58 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:38:52 AM »

Still no US release for the CD version of the show.  Looks like I'll be getting the import.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 06:51:02 AM »

I've been enjoying the Blu-ray for some time, so I'm glad to see it's going to get a widespread release. This thing looks and sounds so much better in HD.

This show is certainly seeing a weird release pattern/strategy:

1. Blu-ray/DVD combo sold exclusively though Chicago PBS station website (mainly a US release, though they apparently were willing to ship internationally). This apparently can't be purchased on its own anymore, though there may still be a set up to get it via pledge to PBS.

2. DVD/CD combo released in the UK, CD includes a couple extra songs, distributed by Salvo. *No* Blu-ray option, DVD may be Region 2-locked.

3. Blu-ray standalone release in the US, I would guess identical in content to the original Blu-ray.

So the DVD and CD are *not* available in the US (the set can obviously be imported, though the DVD *may* not be playable due to PAL and/or region-locking), and the Blu-ray is *not* available outside of the US. Weird.

Ideally, they'd release this worldwide in multiple configurations: Blu-ray, DVD, and CD standalone releases, and then a DVD/CD and Blu-ray/CD combo. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »

There is going to be a CD released in July as well, according to Amazon. Looks like it comes in a package with a DVD. Here’s the track list; Amazon doesn’t say if it’s for the CD or DVD at this time:

1. Our Prayer
  2. Heroes and Villains
  3. Sloop John B
  4. Dance Dance Dance
  5. Good Vibrations
  6. This Beautiful Day
  7. Runaway Dancer
  8. Don't Worry Baby
  9. Marcella
  10. Wild Honey
  11. Sail On Sailor
  12. Sail Away
  13. Half Moon Bay
  14. Don't Talk
  15. Saturday Night
  16. Hold On Dear Brother
  17. Darlin'
  18. On The Island
  19. God Only Knows
  20. The Right Time
  21. Wouldn't It Be Nice
  22. Help Me Rhonda
  23. All Summer Long
  24. Fun Fun Fun

Edit: Removed some undue speculation.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:57:12 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 06:12:59 AM »

There is going to be a CD released in July as well, according to Amazon. Looks like it comes in a package with a DVD. The track list is interesting; I'm assuming it’s for the CD, but could be for the DVD. Interesting either way:

1. Our Prayer
  2. Heroes and Villains
  3. Sloop John B
  4. Dance Dance Dance
  5. Good Vibrations
  6. This Beautiful Day
  7. Runaway Dancer
  8. Don't Worry Baby
  9. Marcella
  10. Wild Honey
  11. Sail On Sailor
  12. Sail Away
  13. Half Moon Bay
  14. Don't Talk
  15. Saturday Night
  16. Hold On Dear Brother
  17. Darlin'
  18. On The Island
  19. God Only Knows

20. The Right Time
  21. Wouldn't It Be Nice
  22. Help Me Rhonda
  23. All Summer Long
  24. Fun Fun Fun

Yellow meaning not on the UK CD release from earlier this year. “California Girls” and “California Saga” were on the UK release but not on this one.

My guess is that the above tracklisting is for the DVD, not the CD.

I would tend to doubt there will be an content differences between the UK and US "combo" sets. Also, I don't think the CD would include the two studio tracks with Zooey Deschanel.

I'm thinking the DVD/CD combo pack listing simply only has the DVD tracklisting shown right now (it even lists it as a 2-disc set but only has that 24-track listing under "Disc 1" with no "Disc 2" listing). It looks like they're simply putting the identical DVD/CD set out in the US as they did in the UK, simply possibly through a different distributor.

Then, separately, the US appears to also be getting a standalone Blu-ray release (whether the UK also gets a Blu-ray release, we of course don't know).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:55:56 AM »

I found the CD/DVD set in a record store today.

Interesting thing is that the back cover mentions that the band includes "long time-Beach Boys sidemen" Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar, while there's not a word about Al.

Tracklisting:

CD:
01. Our Prayer
02. Heroes & Villains
03. Sloop John B
04. Dance Dance Dance
05. Good Vibrations
06. This Beautiful Day
07. Marcella
08. Wild Honey
09. Sail On Sailor
10. Sail Away
11. Half Moon Bay
12. Don't Talk
13. The Right Time
14. Wouldn't It Be Nice
15. Help Me Rhonda
16. Fun Fun Fun
17. California Girls (CD only)
18. California Saga (CD only)
19. All Summer Long

DVD:
01. Our Prayer
02. Heroes And Villains
03. Sloop John B
04. Dance Dance Dance
05. Good Vibrations
06. This Beautiful Day
07. Runaway Dancer (DVD only)
08. Don't Worry Baby (DVD only)
09. Marcella
10. Wild Honey
11. Sail On Sailor
12. Sail Away
13. Half Moon Bay
14. Don't Talk
15. Saturday Night (DVD only)
16. Hold On Dear Brother (DVD only)
17. Darlin' (DVD only)
18. On The Island (DVD only)
19. God Only Knows (DVD only)
20. The Right Time
21. Wouldn't It Be Nice
22. Help Me Rhonda
23. All Summer Long
24. Fun Fun Fun
25. Pacific Coast Highway (DVD only)
26. Summer's  Gone (DVD only)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:24:35 AM by shelter » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 08:02:46 AM »

I already have my copy...pre-ordered from Amazon.ca as soon it was put up for grabs.  I haven't watched the dvd yet...but the cd is MIGHTY fine.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »

Where ya been Add some?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »

Mostly just reading.  Still spending a wee bit of time with BBB and over at Brian's site.  It's GOLF season.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »

Nice, hole in one yet? Canada must be wonderful in summer!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 11:49:38 PM »

Take care, the new UK DVD is in Mono, NOT Stereo !   (A mistake ? But it´s true).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 08:05:54 AM »

I found the CD/DVD set in a record store today.

Is this an imported copy on the Salvo label? I know some US retailers have been importing the UK version. I also had the impression the UK DVD was PAL instead of NTSC.

I'm not sure, but the US release may be on a different label/distributor. It appears the Blu-ray release is unique and new.

But content-wise, it appears the upcoming US release is identical to the UK release.

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »

This release has been formally announced: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-preps-concert-set-featuring-al-jardine-guests-w431148

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 10:33:16 AM »

The audio portion is now on iTunes and Spotify.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/brian-wilson-and-friends/id1137267655

https://play.spotify.com/album/4QaaA6vwBj2Oz8Lf9HZuOl

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »

Hmm. I have to say the CD version is very ho-hum.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »

...and Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Brian-Wilson-Friends/dp/B01IX0UNWI/ref=sr_1_2_twi_mus_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469855218&sr=8-2&keywords=brian+wilson+and+friends
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 02:18:07 AM »

Finally got the CD/DVD set today.. Going to put on the DVD now, with a fresh cup of coffee. Do Sundays get any better? 3D
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 04:46:26 AM »

Review: Brian Wilson's New Album Shows He's 'Still Riding a Peak'

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/review-brian-wilsons-album-shows-riding-peak/story?id=41082770

With a video interview

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »

It's a great (!) set, although it's a bit of a letdown that some of the clear highlights didn't make the CD version. Undecided Sebu's impressive "Don't Worry Baby" and Ruess's stellar "Hold On Dear Brother" are tracks whose absence hurt the most.

I still dug the overall set. I for one like most of the NPP songs, including "Runaway Dancer", and treasure artists like Sebu and Nate Ruess as interpreters of BW music.

Overall ranking - CD+DVD - 7/10.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »

Everything I'm reading has to do with the DVD version (despite the Blu-Ray version mentioned in the subject line of this thread). What's up with that? It's 2016....I'm done buying DVDs. Aside from the original post, I'm not seeing the Blu-Ray version. Huh
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:08:18 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »

Everything I'm reading has to do with the DVD version (despite the Blu-Ray version mentioned in the subject line of this thread). What's up with that? It's 2016....I'm done buying DVDs. Aside from the original post, I'm not seeing the Blu-Ray version. Huh
Not sure there's a Bluray readily available in Germany. I only saw the DVD/CD set in stores..
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »

Yeah, same here in Houston. I'm not buying DVD...standard definition looks like ass.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx