gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:53:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another tribute record  (Read 3107 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006, 04:21:48 PM »

From the 'fork:

Matthew Solarski reports:
We need not laundry list the stars of indie and mainstream alike who cite The Beach Boys' 1966 masterpiece Pet Sounds as a profound influence--instead we'll make animal noises! C'mon everybody! Woof for Will Johnson's Centro-Matic! Howl for Patrick Wolf! Oink for Oldham Brothers! Purr for Architecture in Helsinki! Bleat for Daniel Johnston!

Now that we've made our silly quota for the week, on to the news: all these hepcats and more have signed on for a star-studded tribute to everybody's Second-Best Album of All-Time. The disc, which preserves Pet Sounds's original track order, will arrive this fall courtesy of Spain's Houston Party Records. It's cheekily titled Do It Again: a Tribute to Pet Sounds, a reference to Brian Wilson's notorious perfectionist tendencies with studio musicians [aeijtzsche's note: But definitely not a reference to the similarly titled song.  No sir.] (dude would frequently demand his players "do it again", seeking nothing less than the best).

Indeed, it would be nice:

01 Oldham Brothers: "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
02 Vic Chesnutt: "You Still Believe in Me"
03 Nobody and the Mystic Chords of Memory with Farmer Dave: "That's Not Me"
04 Centro-Matic: "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"
05 Micah P. Hinson: "I'm Waiting for the Day"
06 Raygun: "Let's Go Away for a While"
07 Dayna Kurtz: "Sloop John B."
08 Daniel Johnston: "God Only Knows"
09 Mazarin: "I Know There's an Answer"
10 Jody Wildgoose: "Here Today"
11 Patrick Wolf: "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"
12 Architecture in Helsinki: "Pet Sounds"
13 The Wedding Present: "Caroline No"

Wilson, meanwhile, continues sailing the good ship S.S. Career Renaissance. He duets with daughter Carnie Wilson (of Wilson Phillips fame) on Carnie's forthcoming tribute to matriarchy, A Mother's Gift: Lullabies from the Heart. Her debut solo record, this Gift drops May 2 via Big3 Records. Good to know there's no ill-will between Carnie and the man who named her after a slang term for a carnival worker. Hee-haw!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »

I must be getting old - i've never heard of any of those artists.  Anybody have any insights?

And...i KNOW i read *somewhere* that Carnie was named for a flower...Brian? Marilyn? wanted to name her after some other flower, but settled on Carnie for Carnation for a reason that has long since left my mind...am i imagining this?  I think this is the first time i've read about the carnival worker connection...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 05:00:27 PM »

Daniel Johnson! Oh my God...that is beyond awesome. He's been compared to both Brian  and Barrett (and definitely his psyche  occupies its own section of the universe) but has recorded works of pure genius (and lunacy).

Haven't heard of anyone else,though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 08:11:54 PM »

You've never even heard of Vic Chesnutt?  http://www.vicchesnutt.com/menu.html
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »

Visited that Vic Chesnutt guy's site, listened to a couple tracks.  I'll give it a big Hmmmmmm and leave it at that.

I must be getting old - i've never heard of any of those artists. 

You and me both, Suze- but however old you are, you're looking great.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:35:04 PM »

I don't think anyone knows who the majority of those people are. Compilations are like that, sometimes. Looking forward to hearing instrumental tracks from bands with names such as "Raygun", though.. does anyone know what sort of genre these artists are?

And I wouldn't take the "carnival worker" thing seriously, the overall tone of the article suggests that it is devoid of any sort of seriousness.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 08:38:49 AM »

I assume Oldham Brothers includes Will Oldham of "Palace" semi-fame, etc.? Architecture In Helsinki (from Australia) is one of my son's favs - their cut-up dadaist approach has been compared favorably to "SMiLE" and "Smiley Smile". I'm curious when the Daniel Johnston recording was made since I understand he rarely performs music anymore, but earns some income through painting (a new documentary about him has just been released called "The Devil & Daniel Johnston").

P.S. I think it would be safe to say the "genre" is "indie-pop".
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 07:08:51 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 08:33:14 AM »

im 21, i must be getting old

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 01:18:48 AM »

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=15321

Anyone know about this? I don't think I've heard of any of the bands on the album, but maybe they're popular in the UK.

Edit: Daniel Johnston is doing the God Only Knows cover. I think there's a documentary out in theaters right now about him. "The Devil and Daniel Johnston"
Not really familiar with his stuff, but I thought the music of his they used in the trailer really sucked.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:20:49 AM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 05:52:55 AM »

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=15321

Anyone know about this? I don't think I've heard of any of the bands on the album, but maybe they're popular in the UK.

Edit: Daniel Johnston is doing the God Only Knows cover. I think there's a documentary out in theaters right now about him. "The Devil and Daniel Johnston"
Not really familiar with his stuff, but I thought the music of his they used in the trailer really sucked.

A few of the tunes in the trailer are some of my personal favorites, among them being "Walking The Cow" and "Devil Town".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx