gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:14:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 19: Chula Vista, CA 5/25/2012  (Read 24858 times)
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2012, 01:19:45 AM »

Show info here please.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

It was great!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »

oh ok.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 01:52:33 AM »

oh ok.
Haha!  Yeah sorry, too tired to type up a review or setlist, it's almost 2am.  Nearly sold out, huge amphitheater.  Foster the People opened, they were good.  BB set shortened slightly.  Got to go to meet and greet, I told Bruce I wanted to hear Disney Girls, he said that he was hoarse, so unfortunately they had to drop it today.  All 5 were in a great mood!  While taking the meet and greet pic, Mike made a point to turn around and say hi, how are you?  I've been around Mike many times, but never know what to say, so we wind up not conversing, but it was cool that he said hello.  Chatted with Scott T before the show, he is doing such a great job with the Boys and making the group sound good.  "Isn't It Time" was run through 2x at soundcheck.  Wasn't quite ready for public consumption yet, but a few more rehearsals and I think they'll get it!  Brian very animated during soundcheck and parts of the show.  Al was having a great time the whole day it seemed!  Mike as well! 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:57:16 AM »

No worries, just kiddin'  Azn thanks, sounded quite cool ! did they play anything special instead of Disney Girls then ?
very cool to know that they tried Isn't It Time !
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:59:50 AM »

No worries, just kiddin'  Azn thanks, sounded quite cool ! did they play anything special instead of Disney Girls then ?
very cool to know that they tried Isn't It Time !
Yeah I know, I actually thought your comment was hilarious!  LOL They did add Kiss Me Baby.  Marcella was a nice treat, as I wasn't expecting it that early in the set.  Cottonfields was great.  I really, really want them to add California Saga.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 02:01:23 AM »

Best part: I get to "Do It Again"...going to the Indio show today too!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:06:00 AM »

Would be cool if they'd add "Isn't it time". Thanks for your infos Eric !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 04:20:26 AM »

Why guests should stay off the stage IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNcvdk9TXPw&feature=relmfu

Mikes getting stronger though and David's playing rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBPs0PwsNv0&feature=relmfu

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:23:27 AM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »

Does anyone have a video of Mike Love's daughter singing Sail On Sailor? Would like to see that. How did she do, for anyone who was at the show?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 05:54:39 AM »

Does anyone have a video of Mike Love's daughter singing Sail On Sailor? Would like to see that. How did she do, for anyone who was at the show?
I've seen her do that live, she sang it in Sweden two years ago if I remember things correctly.

Why not let her sing Rollin' Up to Heaven live?   Cheesy

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 06:04:09 AM »

Would Bruce please stop jumping around and sing instead ?! Damnit !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »

I'm actually devastated i missed this concert, probably my only chance to get to see the band.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:30:57 AM »

I like to see a bit of movement on the stage. I don't wanna watch singing stones.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »

She sang it in soundcheck and at the show, and it was good considering her age.  Also saw her sing it a few years back.  She switches some of the lyrics around, I think on purpose, to add some flavor to it.  Truth be told, I'd much rather hear Brian sing it.  But I understand it's a family thing, and it is cool to see any of the kids involved.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »

i think it was charming and fun and more relaxed than the Grammys to see them there--it will only help our cause when pop stars join our beloveds.
CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »

The show was excellent last night. Mike was in great voice throughout, his singing was very strong and less nasally that sometimes. He also pulled his spin-around-and-point-at-the-audience move as well as the extended 'Wheeeennnnn" for be true to your school.

From the soundcheck on you could tell Brian was having a good day. When Mike's daughter came out on stage Mike walked over to Brian and said something to the effect of 'If it's all right she's going to sing Sailor tonight." Brian joked back saying "But that's one of my lead vocals." Mike's daughter was okay on "Sailor". Her singing was fine, but she didn't really connect with the words in the verses, but she hit the tag perfectly. Pretty girl, too. Brian was eager to keep the sound check moving, "Let's take that one from the top again." and asking to do a run though of "Please let me Wonder", to which either Mike or Bruce joked with us saying the real lyrics were 'Please Let Me Wander' but that 'That didn't make it past the sensors'. When he was done he was done, saying "Let's go do the meet and greet." Brian was smiling consistently throughout the show, annimated with his hand gestures on a couple of songs and very engaged when singing back up vocals. During 'Add Some Music', Brian pointed out who's part was next.

One thing I thought was great about the show was that it was so fricking cold that none of the guys came out with Hawaiian shirts on. Al, Mike and Dave were dressed in jeans with jean jackets, they actually looked like a rock and roll band, and damn if they didn't sound like one too.

Unlike reports from some other shows the crowd in the first 20 rows was on their feet all night, dancing and singing along. It may not technically have been sold out, but there were very few empty seats all they way up the bowl to the grassy hill at the top.

It was disappointing that they left several songs out, including Disney Girls, This Whole World, and Wendy (maybe one more too) without adding anything new in, but it was great to hear "Isn't it Time" during the soundcheck. I haven't listened to any of the clips on iTunes or Amazon so as a first listen, I have to say I thought it was really good, probably better than "TWGMTR", which I like too, but the refrain just keeps going and going at the end which IMO is a bit of overkill.

Meeting the band, and getting my picture taken with them, was as described by others: Very brief. I did say 'hello' to Dave, and thanked him for bringing the cool back, at which several of the guys laughed. While standing next to Mike I said I thought the Boys were great, and Mike paused to turn around and shake my hand and thanked me for coming out to support them. They snapped the picture and as I walked off off, Bruce said he hoped I would enjoy the show. So, no, it wasn't personal chit-chat session, but I got to meet them and they were friendly and gracious.

I went to the swag shop and bought the black 'Brother Logo' tee, a program (I went back several times during and after the show, but unfortunately they never brought out any signed programs, which I heard they've done at some other gigs), I also bought Dave and Al's CD's which were signed, even though I didn't know it when I bought them. They weren't advertised as autographed and were only $15 bucks, the best deal at the show. I also bought the $10 Brother Logo poster, which is way cooler than the limited edition poster in my VIP bag. The bag also came with and a t-shirt (ick, white with gold '50' logo) which I immediately gave to my wife.

Overall...what a great night. And next weekend I get to Do It Again at the Hollywood Bowl and the Irvine Ampitheatre. They'll be hard pressed to top last night tho, I think.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »

Thanks for your review !

I like to see a bit of movement on the stage. I don't wanna watch singing stones.

I want him to be at his microphone when he's supposed to sing.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »

i think it was charming and fun and more relaxed than the Grammys to see them there--it will only help our cause when pop stars join our beloveds.

No problem with guests on for the encore.....heck, can 'Barbara Ann' get any more annoying? But not on the likes of WIBN for me thanks.

Next Saturday at the Bowl I can imagine the Next Generation will get a shot also. Save it to the end guys.
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »

Fantastic. Well, maybe I should expand on that. Paid 400 per ticket. Money well spent. Our seats were second row, dead center. Wow. They first took us to the soundcheck which was pretty good. They were rehearsing another song from the new album and said they might play it (they didn't). We heard them sing about 5 songs then Mike's daughter came onstage and sang Sail on Sailor. She also sang it during the concert (Ow, my ears). She's getting better but I certainly didn't come to see her.

We went out after the soundcheck then had pictures taken with TBB. They were all sitting in chairs and we walked up behind them. I told them "Not bad for a bunch of old guys" and then Mike saw my shirt and commented that it sure looked familiar, Brian said he liked it and then the picture. pretty quick but still great. They stressed, No Autographs so I didn't ask for any.

Foster the People opened for TBB and they were actually pretty good. Foster definitly carries the show for them though. He said that his first concert was 27 years ago and he was 7. It was TBB in Cleveland. He said that he was so amazed that 20 years later he would be onstage with them, Later this year they will be playing with TBB in Cleveland where he saw that first concert. Pretty cool.

When TBB came out, it was amazing to hear. They were simply great. Yeah, some of the voices were a little off, Mike seemed to have that stupid cold that's going around, but soldiered through it, and some of the lyrics got sung at the wrong time (mostly Brian) but all in all, really wonderful. To hear Al Jardine singing again was stunning. John Cowsill covers his songs very well but there's no substitute for the real thing and his voice is solid.

Foster the People played for an hour then TBB played for another 2. We definitely weren't shortchanged. They didn't leave anything on the table. What a hell of a catalog to draw from.

The tributes to Dennis and Carl were stunning. They took the voices from each and backed them up seamlessly. As the tribute to Carl was being done, I looked over at Brian and he was actually crying.

About Brian, he was really with it tonight. Many times I caught him waving at the crowd and smiling. Several times, he gave direction to the band and although his voice wasn't the best, it was still an honor to hear him sing those songs that he made famous.

Honor. That's a word that this concert really made me think about. I am honored that TBB played a 50th Anniversary Tour and I was able to attend. To live in a country like this, to have been able to have this group provide the soundtrack to my life, and to have ridden the wave through the best times of America, I'm honored.

I'll post pictures later. They said not to bring cameras but everyone around me was taking pictures so at the intermission, I went to my car and got mine. Still need to download them.
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »

Sounds like the M&G's are becoming a little less cold!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »

It has always been assumed that some close to the band read here. Good to know certain negatives may have been passed on.
CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »

Here's the set list, no major additions and a few gems are missing:

Set 1:
Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
Marcella
Then I Kissed Her
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
When I Grow Up
Cotton Fields
Be True To Your School
Kiss Me, Baby
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set 2:
Add Some Music
In My Room
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
IJWMFTT
Sail On, Sailor
All This Is That
Heroes and Villains
That's Why God Made The Radio
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Rock n Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Surfin' USA

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »

Fantastic. Well, maybe I should expand on that. Paid 400 per ticket. Money well spent. Our seats were second row, dead center. Wow. They first took us to the soundcheck which was pretty good. They were rehearsing another song from the new album and said they might play it (they didn't). We heard them sing about 5 songs then Mike's daughter came onstage and sang Sail on Sailor. She also sang it during the concert (Ow, my ears). She's getting better but I certainly didn't come to see her.

We went out after the soundcheck then had pictures taken with TBB. They were all sitting in chairs and we walked up behind them. I told them "Not bad for a bunch of old guys" and then Mike saw my shirt and commented that it sure looked familiar, Brian said he liked it and then the picture. pretty quick but still great. They stressed, No Autographs so I didn't ask for any.

Foster the People opened for TBB and they were actually pretty good. Foster definitly carries the show for them though. He said that his first concert was 27 years ago and he was 7. It was TBB in Cleveland. He said that he was so amazed that 20 years later he would be onstage with them, Later this year they will be playing with TBB in Cleveland where he saw that first concert. Pretty cool.

When TBB came out, it was amazing to hear. They were simply great. Yeah, some of the voices were a little off, Mike seemed to have that stupid cold that's going around, but soldiered through it, and some of the lyrics got sung at the wrong time (mostly Brian) but all in all, really wonderful. To hear Al Jardine singing again was stunning. John Cowsill covers his songs very well but there's no substitute for the real thing and his voice is solid.

Foster the People played for an hour then TBB played for another 2. We definitely weren't shortchanged. They didn't leave anything on the table. What a hell of a catalog to draw from.

The tributes to Dennis and Carl were stunning. They took the voices from each and backed them up seamlessly. As the tribute to Carl was being done, I looked over at Brian and he was actually crying.

About Brian, he was really with it tonight. Many times I caught him waving at the crowd and smiling. Several times, he gave direction to the band and although his voice wasn't the best, it was still an honor to hear him sing those songs that he made famous.

Honor. That's a word that this concert really made me think about. I am honored that TBB played a 50th Anniversary Tour and I was able to attend. To live in a country like this, to have been able to have this group provide the soundtrack to my life, and to have ridden the wave through the best times of America, I'm honored.

I'll post pictures later. They said not to bring cameras but everyone around me was taking pictures so at the intermission, I went to my car and got mine. Still need to download them.

Fantastic post. So, Brian was really crying, huh? That happens to make me quite emotional, myself.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:11:38 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »

They were so good that my wife asked me to book the same soundcheck package for their Stateline NV show. I did and it was only 300 bucks apiece. Can't wait for June 2 and July 15. Wishin' my life away.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx