gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:49:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GV Box Set OOP?  (Read 5480 times)
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »

I've read reports online that the GV Box Set is now OOP, possibly in anticipation of a new box set coming out for the 50th Anniversary. Is this true?

I'm excited about the new box, but I wish the old one could still be available too. In many ways, it's such an unqualified success I'm not sure how it can be improved upon, and I appreciate that we had Carl's valuable, 70s friendly input into the track selection back then. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »

Dropping the No-Noise would be a nice change for the 50th Anniversary Box

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »

"GV Box Set OOP"

That's the exact same thing I said when I dropped my copy down a large hill ;(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:30:21 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »

I got mine from the BMG "Record" Club.  Back in the days when they had 70% off sales on box sets at least once or twice a year.  Those were the days. 
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »

It's been "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon for months now.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

Let's hope this means we get some news on the box set soon. That is probably the thing I'm looking forward to most from the 50th anniversary (besides SMiLE of course.
SG7
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »

I got mine from the BMG "Record" Club.  Back in the days when they had 70% off sales on box sets at least once or twice a year.  Those were the days. 

Funny that is also how my dad obtained so many Frank Sinatra boxsets.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »

It's not as if the last twenty years since the GV box have seen marvellous new BB's music. What would be interesting is if they were able to solicit solo material (and as only Brian's has been released on major labels, how hard can it be?) to join up the dots between Kokomo and That's Why God Made The Radio.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:28 AM »

I'm a bit worried about the new boxset now that Carl isn't around to keep things respectable. £20 says there'll be even less Dennis than on GV, and that Tears In The Morning, Bluebirds..., STD, Here Comes The Night '79 and Lady Lynda all make unwelcome appearances.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:16:37 AM »

I've read reports online that the GV Box Set is now OOP, possibly in anticipation of a new box set coming out for the 50th Anniversary. Is this true?

I'm excited about the new box, but I wish the old one could still be available too. In many ways, it's such an unqualified success I'm not sure how it can be improved upon, and I appreciate that we had Carl's valuable, 70s friendly input into the track selection back then. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Agree. It's always nice to be on the verge of being able to see a new box of goodies on the horizon... but it's also good to realise that that 1993 set was simply perfect. Granted, the 'Smile'-section was/is far from complete, but that can be rectified by purchasing the 2-CD TSS set; add to that a copy of Pet Sounds in stereo AND mono, and there you go...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 06:45:38 AM »

The biggest omissions that come to my mind in the original box are The Lonely Sea, Girl Don't Tell Me, Let Him Run Wild, and All I Wanna Do. All in all though, a great selection. I hope the new box tries to accomplish something different, or has more of a focus toward alternate versions or rarities, because if it ends up being a mostly similar concept with an inferior track listing, it will be kind of redundant.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:48:55 AM by mammy blue » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »

Just a quick clarification.

The GV box was not mastered using No-Noise. It was mastered digitally at Capitol Studios , who didn't have No-Noise back then.

FYI the only Beach Boys releases to use No-Noise are the first CD of Pet Sounds (I know) and the first round of the Capitol era twofers. The redone twofers (2001?) were done without No-Noise.

BTW speaking of Pet Sounds , the new MOFI SACD/CD of the stereo mix is the best mastering of it imo.

Mark
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »

Just a quick clarification.

The GV box was not mastered using No-Noise. It was mastered digitally at Capitol Studios , who didn't have No-Noise back then.

FYI the only Beach Boys releases to use No-Noise are the first CD of Pet Sounds (I know) and the first round of the Capitol era twofers. The redone twofers (2001?) were done without No-Noise.

BTW speaking of Pet Sounds , the new MOFI SACD/CD of the stereo mix is the best mastering of it imo.

Mark

Hi Mark -

thank you for bringing this to our attention - it's always good to get this stuff directly from the most reliable source!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

FWIW, you can still get the box set on iTunes. Might be worthwhile to do that now to at least get the mastered versions of the Adult/Child outtakes in case they pull it from there soon as well.
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »

Mark

Do you still favor the mono release of your 2006 40th anniversary fuzzy package?  I know you said at the time it was from a newly discovered digital copy from the 80's rather than the 1966 copy that was being used. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx