gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:19:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Saga - The next generation  (Read 25283 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

exciting news for sure.

let The Blend live on.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »

I think it is a really cool idea, if they want to sing those songs then good for them and if their voices can manage that Beach Boys blend then all the better.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »

Thumbs up for going with the rarities route...would love to hear "Little Bird" performed by anyone if done right...some points that it's the Wilson kids doing it.  I'd watch and I'm sure I'd enjoy.
Christian could nail that. Always thought he sounded more like young Dennis than Carl.

I'm looking forward to what they can do.  It sounds like a great group with no kid left behind.  It's a win-win for me...they're doing some obscure cuts, songs that The Beach Boys themselves won't do--they've got that Wilson/Love blend....all good with me.  Even if they played small clubs instead of opening for their parents I'd probably go check them out.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »

Why did Christian and/or Matt opt out of the Beach Boys reunion tour/album, again?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 09:54:17 AM »

I really can't wait to hear this. Rarities route or even some original songs, I'll take it. I bet it'll sound better than The Beatles son's..

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »

I don't see why this could be anything but a good thing. They've all been involved with 'real' BB projects and tours already anyway--it's not like they are trying to replace the BBs, but to carry on a family/musical tradition. I'm all for it. And would love to hear it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »

Why did Christian and/or Matt opt out of the Beach Boys reunion tour/album, again?

I don't think they were invited.

also, it's not mentioned in that press release but Rob Bonfiglio is Carnie's husband.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »

I think this is a nice idea and it's good to see their children have so much talent. They had to get them involved in the tour somehow and it's a nice touch.

Can someone try and take a video of their performances?

I haven't heard Justyn and Carl B. before so this will be interesting to me.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »

I think this is a nice idea and it's good to see their children have so much talent. They had to get them involved in the tour somehow and it's a nice touch.

Can someone try and take a video of their performances?

I haven't heard Justyn and Carl B. before so this will be interesting to me.

I'll be at the show in Irvine and definitely plan on filming a bit if security will let me get away with it. I got the package that's supposed to be in the first 20 rows so it might be harder, but I'mmmmmma try. I'll at least get 20 or 30 seconds, but it'll be on my phone so it might sound like garbage.  Grin

Here's the only examples of Carl & Justyn's old band In Bloom that I can find online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6--lkvVXo

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »

Sounds like the Pixies.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Joanne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »

There is video out there somewhere of back in 2004 at a showcase we did at the Troubador with Carl B and Justyn singing Angel Come Home with a backing band of Bobby Figueroa, Hank Linderman, Robby Scharf, and Gary Griffin. Scott Bennett and Taylor Mills were also at that show as was David Marks doing their own thing. Someone shot video of the entire show but never saw anything surface on You Tube.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »

I'm really curious to hear this.  I think it has the potential to sound really spectacular, given the bloodlines involved. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »

Wow. Justyn looks so much like Carl(circa 1971) that it's scary.  Shocked

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 01:36:07 AM »

Jonah looks more like his Dad... Justyn looks like uncle Brian circa 15 Big Ones

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 02:25:33 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.320880751320901.75762.317463844995925&type=1

No mas, por favor.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 05:32:25 AM »

It's funny if you look at these people. I don't know how much they are in contact but they know each other practically their whole life, even the ones that are not related. Just like their fathers. We'll see if that has some influence of the whole sound (spiritually)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:06 PM »

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may/31/beach-boys-children-are-forming-their-own-band/

Some good tidbits. They're performing a few songs with the band on Saturday and doing a 20 minute opening set on Sunday.
Carnie says two songs they'll be doing are Friends & 'Til I Die.
They're planning on doing more dates.
It was Jonah Wilson's idea to put together a group but he's too shy to get up and sing with them.
They apparently did a recording of Friends.
"There's a song called 'She's Goin' Bald' off 'Smiley Smile' that is the f------ coolest song ever," Carnie said.

No mas, por favor.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »

Looking forward to hearing them.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »

This could be pretty cool. If they eventually record an album I hope it will consist of original songs and not the cover versions that we've had so many off.

Just out of curiosity - does Bruce have any children?

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »

This could be pretty cool. If they eventually record an album I hope it will consist of original songs and not the cover versions that we've had so many off.

Just out of curiosity - does Bruce have any children?

Bruce has 4 sons, one of which was once featured in an episode of Baywatch.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »

Hm... I wonder how long it will take before someone starts a 'include the children of Bruce, David, Blondie & Ricky in California Saga' petition!'  Cheesy

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:57 AM »

I'm all for an "Include Mike Love's 20 other children" petition.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »

Came in here to say that this is the best thing ever. Alas, I've been proven wrong...

"There's a song called 'She's Goin' Bald' off 'Smiley Smile' that is the f------ coolest song ever," Carnie said. "Wendy and I used to go crazy singing it. We loved it. There's one part that Mike Love does, where they speeded up the tape. We used to laugh our asses off when we heard that — to the point of peeing!"

This is the best thing ever.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 05:19:27 AM »

From Billy Hinsche:

CALIFORNIA SAGA - on the eve of their Hollywood Bowl debut ...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 12:53:45 AM »

Anyone know if they are coming to Australia? I would love it. Also what are the reports on them so far like?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx