gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:09:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who else thinks that Spring Vacation would make a good 2nd single?  (Read 13235 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »

What's so bad about the lyrics? They're nostalgic in a cheesy way that only Mike Love could get away with. Mike verses/Brian chorus and those soaring background harmonies. Sick guitar solo.

Y'all a bunch of h8888888888ers.

No mas, por favor.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »

Also, remember that when we first heard Spring Vacation, the comments were pretty unfavorable. That song takes a bunch of plays to wear you down, until you start humming it everywhere you go. Smiley

Singles need to be accessable, grab you from the first listen. When I first heard Shelter and Isn't It Time, I was totally intrigued from the get-go and wanted to hear more. That's the mark of a good single.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »

What does put out a single really mean technically these days? Once the album is out, I mean?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »

I think Strange World would be the best choice for a second single.

Though honestly, they don't need a second single unless they want to put something out for a record store day on vinyl.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »

What does put out a single really mean technically these days? Once the album is out, I mean?

A song used to promote an album or band, just as it has for the past several decades. I guess if you're referring to "What does a single mean in the digital age?", probably just a song used for promotional purposes with the hopes of it selling digital copies while also still promoting the album/band.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »

A song used to promote an album or band, just as it has for the past several decades. I guess if you're referring to "What does a single mean in the digital age?", probably just a song used for promotional purposes with the hopes of it selling digital copies while also still promoting the album/band.

thanks runnersdialzero for taking a moment to respond so helpfully; I want the darn BB to chart.  I will say I love the embarrassment of riches in this album, as evidenced by the controversy over what the next single is. I have been haunted all night, in a good way, with all the tunes in the 90 second samples playing in my head, ranging from Isn't it Time to summer's gone. 

Please do not be daunted by the predictable reviews that hear words like "beach" and "car" and are incapable of  disassociating them from nostalgia.  Let the professor say one more time that the concept of nostalgia plays a narrative role in the larger philosophical progression in this album.

I am in awe of what I have heard, and the tidal wave is forming; let those without ears be scattered in its wake.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »

just saw this tweet

Marcello Carlin ‏@marcellocarlin
Track from new Beach Boys album on the radio and they've just namechecked "Good Vibrations" in the lyric #ohdear

poor poor choice. oh well.  i suppose it's expected. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

It sounds enough like Stunt-era Barenaked Ladies that I could see it working in sort of a romantic comedy or basically accomplish the same vibe that like "We Go Together" does at the end of Grease. That last comparison isn't a compliment, per se, but just a statement.
BNL actually put out some really good songs during the Stunt era...Alcohol, In the Car, When You Dream, She's On Time, Told You So, Some Fantastic...
Don't be downplaying the Ladies... In the early 90s, Steve Page would sing "Mama Says" and get the audience clapping along right before they'd go into "Brian Wilson". How can one not like a band with a major hit that namechecks Smiley Smile?

But back on topic...How about Daybreak as a single?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 12:10:50 AM »

just saw this tweet

Track from new Beach Boys album on the radio and they've just namechecked "Good Vibrations" in the lyric #ohdear

Yeah, it (Spring Vacation) got played on BBC Radio 2 last night on the drivetime show - I was quite surprised..!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 01:39:44 AM »

just saw this tweet

Yeah, it (Spring Vacation) got played on BBC Radio 2 last night on the drivetime show - I was quite surprised..!
It's very radio-friendly!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 03:54:57 AM »

I'd vote for "Isn't it time". Judged by the short clip, it's goin' to be a favorite of mine

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 05:20:35 AM »

just saw this tweet

It's very radio-friendly!

is that our only criteria?
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:13 AM »

Before I heard the song I was hearing some sh*t talk about the lyrics in SV. After listening to the full song, I like it! It's a pretty laid back tune but I don't really get the elevator music laid back vibe, more like, smoking a joint outside in the sun kinda laid back. I like the "Get up, Get up" part. "Isn't it Time" is another contender but I think the BBs will side with SV over it just because it's more commercial. "Shelter" would be a horrible choice since Foskett has his skeet all over that track, blegh. I can't wait for this record.

keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »

It sounds enough like Stunt-era Barenaked Ladies that I could see it working in sort of a romantic comedy or basically accomplish the same vibe that like "We Go Together" does at the end of Grease. That last comparison isn't a compliment, per se, but just a statement.
BNL actually put out some really good songs during the Stunt era...Alcohol, In the Car, When You Dream, She's On Time, Told You So, Some Fantastic...
Don't be downplaying the Ladies... In the early 90s, Steve Page would sing "Mama Says" and get the audience clapping along right before they'd go into "Brian Wilson". How can one not like a band with a major hit that namechecks Smiley Smile?

But back on topic...How about Daybreak as a single?

I was knocking Grease, not BNL. I've seen them like half a dozen times. Their legacy will probably be that of a novelty band, because their hit singles have primarily supported that view, but you don't have to dig very deep at all to find some fantastic stuff of theirs. The "Are Me"/"Are Men" double album was outstanding.

"Daybreak" could be a single, but I'd be surprised if they used it since they're by and large using the old Brian's Back frame of mind with most of the promotional stuff.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:57 AM »

"Isn't It Time" was done at the soundcheck at the Chula Vista show.  Maybe it's the 2nd single?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 02:33:28 AM »

"Isn't It Time" was done at the soundcheck at the Chula Vista show.  Maybe it's the 2nd single?
Isn't it time they release it as single?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »

I think it would.  Just going by the combined samples on amazon and itunes, I hear lots of great stuff, but I think that Spring Vacation would make a great follow-up single to TWGMTR.  Classic Mike/Brian lead vocal trade off, fun vibe, modern sound.  Could do well on AC radio, maybe even pop stations.

That being said, (again going by just the samples), I think my personal favorite is "From There To Back Again".

You beat me to it Eric, I agree!  They'd be crazy not to release this as a single, it has potential.  They can release "From There To Back Again" as well if  they'd like of course, but I think Spring Vacation is easy money. 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »

Isn't it time they release it as single?

Looks like Mike Love hacked Swedish Frog's account.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »

I think Isn't It Time and Shelter should be singles if anything.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 06:52:16 AM »

Beaches in mind is the best second single IMO.

After listening to the full album I still stand by my statement. Isn't it time is too weak, not enough hooks, not catchy enough. Spring time is good but it's just hopelessly outdated an cheesy. Beaches in mind is the onyl song other than TWGMTR that has hit potential in this day and age.

(and yeah I totally get any barnaked ladies and uncle kracker comparision to beaches in mind it's too bad and sad really  Cry high five to joe thomas )

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 07:01:28 AM »

In the name of Satan, NO. This song is awful (imo)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »

Most of you guys are about a decade and a half off in your judgement of what would be a hit! Spring Vacation may have had a chance in '97, but 2012? Nop.

Isn't it Time has that quirky sparseness that has made recent hits like Someone That I Used to Know and We Are Young huge. It's definitely the best chance on the album of the boys impacting the 2012 music scene! (but I still think they should do a single mix with Al tackling the entire lead vocal  Wink )
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:07:28 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2012, 07:07:43 AM »

Most of you guys are about a decade and a half off in your judgement of what would be a hit! Spring Vacation may have had a chance in '97, but 2012? Nop.

Isn't it Time has that quirky sparseness that has made recent hits like Someone That I Used to Know and We Are Young huge. It's definitely the best chance on the album of the boys impacting the 2012 music scene! (but I still think they should do a single mix with Al tackling the entire lead vocal  Wink )

+1
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »

Shelter is my favourite from the album, but I agree it doesn't sound contemporary.  I think Spring Vacation would be an ok single if they re-recorded it with better production and new lyrics, which will never happen.  So Isn't it Time would probably be the best choice.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »

Isn't it Time is the only song production/sound wise that would fit on modern radio
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx