gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:41:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about a Bread discussion?  (Read 9006 times)
Jason
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:05:04 AM »

Admittedly, these guys eluded me for years. Maybe it's my old curmudgeonly self lately but this band has really begun to hit a few spots with me. Besides, what's not to love about soft rock?
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »

One of my all-time favorite groups, and a book will soon be published about them:

http://www.helterskelterpublishing.com/item.asp?id=3617

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »

Admittedly, these guys eluded me for years. Maybe it's my old curmudgeonly self lately but this band has really begun to hit a few spots with me. Besides, what's not to love about soft rock?

Baby I'm A Want You is a fantastic song.  It has a haunting quality to it that is just beautiful. 

Hey anyone remember that episode of "The Wonder Years" where Kevin buys Winnie a "Bread" LP for Christmas but he feels funny about going in and purchasing it because they were a "chick band"?  That just came to mind, funny stuff.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:21 AM »

Baby I'mma Want You always reminds me of that scene from The Simpsons where Chief Wiggum walks in on Comic Book Guy and Principal Skinner's mom doing it.

They... have other songs?  Smiley

No mas, por favor.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »

Baby I'm A Want You is a fantastic song.  It has a haunting quality to it that is just beautiful. 

Hey anyone remember that episode of "The Wonder Years" where Kevin buys Winnie a "Bread" LP for Christmas but he feels funny about going in and purchasing it because they were a "chick band"?  That just came to mind, funny stuff.

there was another episode where Wayne sings a tragicomic version of "If" to a girl he digs

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:46:13 AM »

there was another episode where Wayne sings a tragicomic version of "If" to a girl he digs

Any respectable version of "If" is ok with me
Jason
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »

I could listen to It Don't Matter To Me on repeat for hours. Preferably with a cold beverage on a breezy day.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »

Great band. Down On My Knees is one of the ultimate Beatle-influenced cuts. As good as anything Badfinger recorded.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:45 PM »

My band does Make it With You, and I've played a lot of their songs on my own - Too Much Love, Everything I Own, Look What You've Done, the Guitar Man, Diary, Fancy Dancer. Great songwriters, great singers, and they had one of the best all around musicians in the biz, Larry Knechtel, playing keys, bass and guitar.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »

By the way...is the original version of It Don't Matter To Me available at all? I cannot find it...ANYWHERE.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »

Do you mean the version from the first album? Is the first album out of print?  I thought Wounded Bird had reissued all the albums recently. The single version, recorded after the second album, is the one on all the best of's.
Jason
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:05:22 AM »

My copy of the first album has the single version and not the original album version.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »

Any respectable version of "If" is ok with mehe

Does the Telly Savalas version count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dDkIrVuRg
SG7
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »

What a Change has been on some preshow mixes when I've went to see Brian.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

My copy of the first album has the single version and not the original album version.
Okay,  I didn't know they replaced it on later issues. My copy has the original version, plus the lyrics insert.
Jason
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »

Granted, I've HEARD the first version from a vinyl played while a video camera recorded it for a YouTube video. Needless to say it sounded very tin can.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »

Just picked up on this thread... and in case you weren't aware it's MY book on the band coming out later in the year !!
Covering the careers of all FIVE members across the years (and I've tried to give the BB's as many mentions as possible without overdoing it  Roll Eyes ) and maybe I'm biased... but it's a damn fine read !
Contributions from founding member Robb Royer, the families of Jimmy, Mike and Larry ... and numerous other musical acquaintances and friends - tho' I have to admit that David declined to contribute  Sad
... and I encourage all of the unknowing out there to dig a little deeper into their catalog if you only know the Gates-penned 'hits'. It wasn't all sweetness and light as the numerous compilations and re-issues will constantly have us believe...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 03:28:18 AM »

Just picked up on this thread... and in case you weren't aware it's MY book on the band coming out later in the year !!
Covering the careers of all FIVE members across the years (and I've tried to give the BB's as many mentions as possible without overdoing it  Roll Eyes ) and maybe I'm biased... but it's a damn fine read !
Contributions from founding member Robb Royer, the families of Jimmy, Mike and Larry ... and numerous other musical acquaintances and friends - tho' I have to admit that David declined to contribute  Sad
... and I encourage all of the unknowing out there to dig a little deeper into their catalog if you only know the Gates-penned 'hits'. It wasn't all sweetness and light as the numerous compilations and re-issues will constantly have us believe...

I look forward to reading it Malc,  I love Bread  Smiley
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 05:40:24 AM »

Any respectable version of "If" is ok with mehe

Does the Telly Savalas version count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dDkIrVuRg

hahahah i'm sorry that just made me laugh.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

I look forward to reading it Malc,  I love Bread  Smiley

Many thanks !! Pre-orders now being taken on a limited hardback edition - www.helterskelterpublishing.com - and HOPEFULLY the paperback edition will follow at a later date...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »

Hm, I'm a fan of reviving old threads.
Anyway.

I bought Goodbye Girl by David Gates with my dad.
3 buck vinyl... can't complain.

I'm listening to this song for like the 5th time and I feel like crying. It's so beautiful.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 12:29:58 PM »

I'm reading the book now, just up to the point where Gates, Grifftin and Royer join forces. Been a great read so far.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »

Hey there !! Glad you're enjoying the book ! Made the years of research worth it when you hear a comment like that. 26 5-star review on Amazon UK too so I must have something right
I've just co-edited Robb Royer's new memoirs as well, working alongside him for the past year on it (well, not quite alongside - he's in the Virgin Islands whilst I'm just outside London but...), and that's now available as an iPad formatted eBook on Amazon (for some reason it didn't format for Kindle too well but I'm working on that).
Let me know your thoughts when you finish my tome...
 Cool

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »

Will do, Malc. Nice that Robb is working on a book - for a lot of us, he was kind of the invisible member of Bread. Wrote with James, but didn't sing, and disappeared after the third album. He was the guy I knew the least about.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 07:14:17 PM »

He never really disappeared, though. His cowrites with James are still all over the place on the last three albums.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx