gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:09:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about a Bread discussion?  (Read 8933 times)
bullman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 01:11:46 AM »

Always thought David Gates and Anne Murray had near identical vocals.....Listen to "You Needed Me" and picture David singing..... Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6nfpxZ2Nz4

Tim

Who doesn't at least Smile during first 15 seconds of "Little Pad"?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »

Always thought David Gates and Anne Murray had near identical vocals.....Listen to "You Needed Me" and picture David singing..... Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6nfpxZ2Nz4

Tim
First time I heard "Baby I'm A-Want You", I thought it was Anne Murray.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »

Hm, I'm a fan of reviving old threads.

That's the spirit, u-m. This one's doing nicely. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »

Grin Grin Grin

I've decided that just below the level of super-popular (Beatles, Stones, the stuff you see on yuppie t shirts), there's sub-popular bands (not necessarily Sub Pop). Bread seems to be one of those bands that does get played on the oldies station but none of my friends know of :/

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

I've decided that just below the level of super-popular (Beatles, Stones, the stuff you see on yuppie t shirts), there's sub-popular bands (not necessarily Sub Pop). Bread seems to be one of those bands that does get played on the oldies station but none of my friends know of :/
I just heard "The Guitar Man" on KGY a few minutes ago, but it's true they are not in the rotation as much as Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Elton, etc. The thing that makes this band interesting to me is the contrast between their 'light' hits and the edgier material on their albums. It seems to happen to a lot of bands, though - they get pegged in the public eye with one sound, when the reality is much more wide ranging. The Guess Who (at least in the Burton Cummings era) first made it big in the states with "These Eyes" - a ballad. Imagine if they followed it up with a dozen more ballads, instead of "No Time", "Hand Me Down World", "American Woman", "Share the Land", "No Sugar Tonight". Cummings could sing a ballad beautifully, but there was a lot more to the Guess Who than pretty songs to slow dance to. The same is true for Bread.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:17 AM »

"Manna" waas the first album I ever owned. I still have my copy from when it came out. Great record! The James/Robb team were a superb creative duo that rivaled Gates. Though Royer still wrote with James after Robb left but the group lost their edge IMO.

I saw them in concert, 72 or 73 (Steely Dan  was the opening act) and again in 1997 on their final  reunion tour.

My favorite Bread song "Too Much Love" - a Griffin/Royer classic!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FtqTO8nLH2Q
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:44:39 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »

Steely Dan AND Bread? I would have loved that.

Grin Grin Grin

I just heard "The Guitar Man" on KGY a few minutes ago, but it's true they are not in the rotation as much as Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Elton, etc. The thing that makes this band interesting to me is the contrast between their 'light' hits and the edgier material on their albums. It seems to happen to a lot of bands, though - they get pegged in the public eye with one sound, when the reality is much more wide ranging. The Guess Who (at least in the Burton Cummings era) first made it big in the states with "These Eyes" - a ballad. Imagine if they followed it up with a dozen more ballads, instead of "No Time", "Hand Me Down World", "American Woman", "Share the Land", "No Sugar Tonight". Cummings could sing a ballad beautifully, but there was a lot more to the Guess Who than pretty songs to slow dance to. The same is true for Bread.
I don't know a lot of the Guess Who (a lot of the albums that I see by them at record stores/spotify are greatist hits, etc.), but I do love the songs I know. "No Time" is a fun song. Like, I'm sure people recognize their songs, but they definitely don't get as much recognition. Which is sort of a shame, but at the same time I sort of pride myself in knowing those lesser-known oldies bands... yknow?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »

Steely Dan AND Bread? I would have loved that.

Grin Grin Grin

I don't know a lot of the Guess Who (a lot of the albums that I see by them at record stores/spotify are greatist hits, etc.), but I do love the songs I know. "No Time" is a fun song. Like, I'm sure people recognize their songs, but they definitely don't get as much recognition. Which is sort of a shame, but at the same time I sort of pride myself in knowing those lesser-known oldies bands... yknow?
And that's really a shame that The Guess Who is a "lesser known" oldies band. There was a brief time, American Woman era, when they were one of the hottest bands around, and they definitely had the talent to back it up. They had a lead singer would could sign any style, also played great piano, could also play a bit of guitar and flute, and co-wrote most of the songs. Randy Bachman was a great guitarist and songwriter, later replaced by the equally talented Kurt Winter. Jim Kale was a solid bassist, Garry Peterson an excellent drummer with taste and style and could sing harmony. On their albums they do hard rock, pop ballads, country, straight ahead good ol' rock 'n' roll, and even touches of blues and jazz. Everyone knows the hits, but as you dig into the albums, you find there's a lot of worthwhile music there.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 10:29:57 PM »

Since you've posted that, I've been listening to more of the Guess Who. What a fantastic band! I really enjoy their lyrics especially.

Also, lives videos of Bread on Youtube are fantastic. I'm sure if I was around in the 70s I would be melting at their concerts.  Azn

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 11:11:38 PM »

Since you've posted that, I've been listening to more of the Guess Who. What a fantastic band! I really enjoy their lyrics especially.

Also, lives videos of Bread on Youtube are fantastic. I'm sure if I was around in the 70s I would be melting at their concerts.  Azn
Nice to know I could steer you towards some great music. Never got to see Bread live, but I did see a reunited Guess Who in 2001, one of the most memorable shows I've seen. Got to see Burton a couple NYE's ago, too, and he was magnificent. Did all the GW songs I wanted to hear, and more.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »

Anyway.

I bought Goodbye Girl by David Gates with my dad.
3 buck vinyl... can't complain.

I'm listening to this song for like the 5th time and I feel like crying. It's so beautiful.

I can't listen to that song!  It is beautiful but I find it very melancholy also. There are a few songs that get me like that.. another one is Bright Eyes from Watership Down.. Sad
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »

Haha yes, that song can definitely evoke a few tears. "Never Let Her Go" is a happier love song Smiley

Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2016, 03:01:07 AM »

Hey Lonely Summer ! Final thoughts on the book, assuming you've finished it now ?! Razz

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »

I've probably mentioned this before on a thread, but cant' remember.  When I was in High School, me and a friend would get together and were learning to play guitar.  He was better than I was, I never got very good because i'm left handed and didn't want to play a lefty guitar, so I always played right handed, which doesn't work as well because I don't have the dexterity in my picking hand.

Anyways.  One of his favorite bands was "Bread", he was a more relaxed laid back guy then me, and he had a knack for figuring out songs by just listening to them.  Even note for note solos, etc.  I basically just got decent at playing hillbilly chords.

He lived with his grandparents, who always supported everything he did because his parents weren't very good role models.  Anyways, a few years went by and his grandfather passed away.  So we all went tot he funeral, and my friend and his dad got up in front of 100 people and sang "Everything I own" at the old man's funeral, with him playing it on guitar. 

It was so uncomfortably sad, probably the saddest thing I've ever seen in person.  Really beautiful, though...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 12:35:01 AM »

Hey Lonely Summer ! Final thoughts on the book, assuming you've finished it now ?! Razz
I don't know what to add to what I've said elsewhere. Best pop/rock bio I've read in several years. Most of them disappoint me - as with the recent Carl Wilson book. Your book really covered every possible area of the careers of the Bread guys, I think Larry, James and Mike would be very proud of the work you did. Anyone that calls themselves a Bread fan needs to have this book.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 01:32:21 AM »

Cheesy
Thank you most sincerely...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx