gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:38:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new member from Columbus, Ohio  (Read 3404 times)
Oily Pig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »

Hi all:

My favorite bands are The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones.  My first BB concert was in 1974, roughly, at the Ohio State Fair.  At the time, i was 20 years old.  My girlfriend went with me.  Was just a very casual fan back then and went to the show just for something to do.  As the show progressed, I became more and more stricken by how great they were.  By the time they performed I Get Around, I was actually in tears because they moved me so much.  My gal was poking fun at me and asking what was wrong, but i just couldn't bring myself around to telling her that it was just because the music was so great.

Over the years, i bought all of the albums up thru Smiley Smile, but left off there.  Have only seen them a handful of times.  Was mostly a Stones fan throughout my adult years and have seen them 34 times, although i still loved the BB tunes equally as much.  For some inexplicable reason my favorite BB is Al Jardine, and favorite tunes besides the usuals are Hushabye and The Monkey's Uncle.  Just discovered the youtube video of TMU the other day - it's blowing my mind, love it!

Once the 50th tour was announced, i became fascinated with BB again, and have been been following the boards daily and discovering the post-Smiley Smile songs, especially the ones they are performing on the tour.  Have been watching all the youtube videos, caught Jimmy Fallon, QVC, and am generally as excited for this tour as i have ever been for any tour by any artist.  

Have tickets to the Riverbend show in Cincinnati.  There are still tons of seats left for this show.  They are cheap!!!  Ticketmaster makes it easy for this one.... it's one of the shows where you can pick your exact seat.  I hope many of you here can arrange to attend this show!!!!

I have gotten in trouble on one of the Stones boards lately for defending the Beach Boys and most recently have gotten banned from the board.  I started a ruckus for suggesting that the BB songs passed the test of time better than either the Beatles or Stones hits.  I say... good riddance!  When all is said and done, i do believe BB were a better band, and from what i've seen on this board it appears the fans are better as well.  Glad to be here!

Joe
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:49:05 AM by Oily Pig » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »

welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »

Welcome! And great story!

Definitely check out the album 'Friends' if you haven't already!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Oily Pig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »

thank you all for the welcomes!  listened to Friends last night for the first time ever.  the first two lines of the title track have occasionally gone around my head my whole adult life, never knew where it came from.  the mystery is now solved!  really enjoyed the album, especially side two.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »

OH *HIII*, OH COLUMBUS!!!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print