gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shows after the reunion?  (Read 5116 times)
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:35 AM »

Has anything been said about whether or not the Boys will continue their usual touring after this reunion or not? It's supposed to end in August, is this the final hurrah for any of the members or will we see more solo/Mike & Bruce shows next year?

I'd imagine Brian will probably stay off the road for most of next year, though I would love to see his solo show, mostly to see him do some deeper cuts and hear him sans the B-Pain effect he had going on when I saw them. I've also decided to catch the Mike & Bruce shows from now on if they continue them, and I'd love to see an Al Jardine or David Marks gig. As neat as it was to pop my Beach Boys concert cherry with the reunion, now I crave more!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »

My crystal ball says to ask again in 6 months.

No mas, por favor.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:03:50 AM »

Al said in the Charlie Rose interview that he would like to do a tour every few years or so.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:58:47 AM »

After watch the Charlie Rose interview I think they are getting on very well and are surprised how well the tour is loved by the fans. I just get the impression it has exceeded their own expectations.

Of course they could just be great actors and playing the PR card....but I doubt it.

I remember after the rooftop reunion in 06 Jon Stebbins said they just clicked and had that group dynamic. Or words to that effect.

I'll make a prediction. This thing will not end somewhere in Australia in 2012.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:13:32 AM »

I think they'll go back to being three separate touring units again, but the most ideal compromise would be for Brian to tour with his band as before, with Al and David permanently joining the Mike & Bruce band.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »

Al said in the Charlie Rose interview that he would like to do a tour every few years or so.

That's right, but if I remember correctly, the response to him saying that was pretty much nonexistent. Nobody jumped in and said, "Yeah, Al, that sounds great!" Or did they?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »

Really hope it's not just, "Welp. Reunion's over. Back to Brian's solo career, back to Al working on another album for 15 years, back to Mike releasing a new single every five years." That'd be kinda sad, for some reason I can't really come up with right meow. I'd really like to see these guys stick together recording and touring as long as they can or want to, although obviously I don't expect them to keep up the touring pace they are right now at all.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:38:26 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »

I don't know what age this happens at these days, but how much time you all think we have left before one of them passes away? I think one of the reasons for the reunion was their ever-increasing awareness of their own mortality. if they go to their solo stuff again after this tour, chances are by the time they get a chance to get back together, at least one of them will be gone.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »

I don't know what age this happens at these days, but how much time you all think we have left before one of them passes away? I think one of the reasons for the reunion was their ever-increasing awareness of their own mortality. if they go to their solo stuff again after this tour, chances are by the time they get a chance to get back together, at least one of them will be gone.

Precisely why I want to see them stick with it as long as they can/want.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »

That's right, but if I remember correctly, the response to him saying that was pretty much nonexistent. Nobody jumped in and said, "Yeah, Al, that sounds great!" Or did they?

I should look again but I think that everyone was being very much deliberately impassive, with maybe just the slightest touch of a nod from Mike.  More negotiations to come, let's not ruin the good times now.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

I think Statistically speaking, if you make it to 60 you've got a high probability of making it to 80.  Of course people die between 60 and 80, but all these guys are in pretty good health.  There's no reason to think any of them are checking out anytime soon. 

With that said though of course, you never know, when your number's up, your number's up. 
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »

I think they'll go back to being three separate touring units again, but the most ideal compromise would be for Brian to tour with his band as before, with Al and David permanently joining the Mike & Bruce band.
My wish (Barring a hypothetical permanent reunion) would be Al and David permanently joining Brian's band. I don't want to grant any more legitimacy to Mike & Bruce's Endless Summer Oldies machine and I would like to keep Al and David on my good side.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:16:19 PM by SMiLE » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

I think this tour is meaning more to the group than they perhaps thought it would. What did Bruce say a few years ago. Not interested but would watch from 3rd row centre? On the Charlie Rose interview he now says he would go anywhere for the guys and held his heart when Al said something along the same line. I don't think they are alone.

Mike and Bruce may struggle a little to sell what in effect would be 'Beach Boys - Lite' if and when things return to normal next year.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »

Who will be the last Beach Boy standing? Mike? Al? Brian? Brian outlived both of his brothers.....but I would say Al looks and sounds the healthiest. but I wouldn't bet against Mike still touring the BB show into his 90's. "The George Burns of Rock 'n' Roll"...still leering at the young girls from his wheelchair.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »

Could be Mike yeah! Wasn't there a story last year where he mentioned his father is still alive? Must be earlt 90s now. We forget though that Dave is just a pup compared to the rest.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 12:51:17 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me how Brian is still standing, but for some reason I get the feeling that he might outlive some of the other members.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »

I can understand Brian wanting to kick back after this tour, but is there anything to indicate that Al and David won't stick around?  Long as they all seem to be getting along, we could still have a proper touring Beach Boys with four originals...

Has David ever said why he didn't stick around after the UK tour a few years back, or indeed after his first post-Al stint?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »

I can understand Brian wanting to kick back after this tour, but is there anything to indicate that Al and David won't stick around?  Long as they all seem to be getting along, we could still have a proper touring Beach Boys with four originals...

Has David ever said why he didn't stick around after the UK tour a few years back, or indeed after his first post-Al stint?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
I'd be really surprised if Brian continued to tour with the group. But Mike would be a fool not to keep Al and David along for the ride. It gives much more legitimacy to his touring Beach Boys to have some actual Beach Boys onstage besides Bruce and himself.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »

Like some of you said I also think that it'd be hard for Mike and Bruce to keep touring as the Beach Boys after this big tour with packed houses, a different band, three added original members and lots of media coverage. When people see a sign for a Beach Boys concert next year they might be disappointed if it's only Mike and Bruce - no matter how good they'll be.

But I also think that their happines to be together again - although certainly sincere - comes partly from the knowing that this is just a celebration that lasts some months and after that it's over. Should they stay together it'll soon be business as usual and then the ego's might come back up front.
So I'd rather have them part ways on a happy note and stay in contact (maybe even hang out together from time to time if they'd like to) than have all the bullsh!t once again

Although it certainly would be nice to see this current band again at some point, I don't think Al's idea of them touring every 3 years or so would work. There'd be too much issues with Mike and Bruce's band touring as The Beach Boys and then a whole different band with the same name. This year's tour is under the name "The Beach Boys 50th anniversary tour" or something similar. You can't use that in 3 years, so then it would be "The Beach Boys" and I don't know if enough people would care to realize this is not just the regular Beach Boys show (Mike and Bruce) but the big, real thing

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »

My wish (Barring a hypothetical permanent reunion) would be Al and David permanently joining Brian's band. I don't want to grant any more legitimacy to Mike & Bruce's Endless Summer Oldies machine and I would like to keep Al and David on my good side.

Why is Mike & Bruce's Endless Summer Oldies Machine any less legitimate than Brian's Endless Summer Oldies Machine? Both bands have been doing essentially the same thing for years now -- the odd big tour with a more interesting setlist, followed by two or three years of touring playing just the oldies with a couple of semi-rarities like Heroes & Villains and Sail On Sailor thrown in. And when it comes to those hits tours, Mike & Bruce's band is better than Brian's -- everyone I know who's seen both says that. Brian's band is wonderful at playing stuff off Smile, Friends, Sunflower and so on -- and that's the music I like best -- but when it comes to playing Fun Fun Fun or Don't Worry Baby Mike's band sound much better. (Though both bands can do both. Mike's band don't do Til I Die as well as Brian's used to, but they still do it very well, just as Brian's band do Fun Fun Fun perfectly well, too.)

It's not 2002 any more. Brian hasn't been doing the long, arty shows for years, and Mike & Bruce aren't being hamstrung by Adrian Baker and Mike Kowalski, and staggering through the hits as quickly as possible.

My hope is that they all tour in whichever configurations suit them, but that Al and David tour more with either band, so I can see them play more. But both configurations that we had prior to the reunion were (and are) excellent bands

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 09:07:14 AM »

Why is Mike & Bruce's Endless Summer Oldies Machine any less legitimate than Brian's Endless Summer Oldies Machine?

Isn't that obvious? Because it's not billed as Mike & Bruce's Endless Summer Oldies Machine. They get booked as "The Beach Boys."

If the Brian Wilson Band came out as "The Beach Boys" without Mike Love, there would be similar griping, right? It doesn't seem to have much to do with the setlists during the European tour, etc etc etc. Altho it's certainly legit according to the byzantine deals they have worked out for use of the trademarks, you have to expect a certain segment of a sniffy fanbase to not play along. They aren't being paid 100k a year to grant legitimacy! I think $500 or so will sort me out, tho.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:13:01 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »

I just hope this longish tour doesn't wear Brian out, or worse. UK tour just got added on.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me how Brian is still standing, but for some reason I get the feeling that he might outlive some of the other members.

He already has.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 03:12:55 AM »

Normal interview but the last question Mike is asked about the future. He said they are not ruling out recording or touring in the future.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2012/06/the-beach-boys-are-coming-to-the-south-east-.html
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »

I don't see this working after this year. I think David Marks is going to dissapear into oblivion once more, Brian will go back with his band, or maybe do nothing at all, he is gonna be pretty beat after all this and, Al will probably hitch on with Mike and Bruce's show. Just my guess.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx