gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:32:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 17: Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL 5/21/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 36788 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »

Sorta a bummer that of the last six songs, three are covers and one is kokomo
Yeah, but they were HIT covers. I thought it was a great ending to the show. The crowd in AC were on their feet singing and dancing all the way through. How that is a "bummer" I will never understand.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »

Wow, it's great that Brian was so into it. When I saw them at Mohegan Sun, Brian SANG great, but didn't say a word.
MBE
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »

Also just found out they are shooting a DVD documentary. I got to speak about how the Beach Boys represent America over the last 50 years. Talked about the James Watt thing etc. I don't know if they will use me but I am excited to see what it will turn out to be.

Mike, was anyone shooting video of this performace? This is the kind of show that needs to end up on a DVD especially if Brian was so great.
I really hope they did. I don't know.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »

Yeah, but they were HIT covers. I thought it was a great ending to the show. The crowd in AC were on their feet singing and dancing all the way through. How that is a "bummer" I will never understand.

to be honest, the only one that makes it a bummer is "rock n roll music".  sooo bad.  I'd rather listen to SIP.  and i only meant that i wish the covers were more strewn out in the setlist. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »

wow, most of the show is up on this account..

Fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGb_izup-Oc

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SG7
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »

to be honest, the only one that makes it a bummer is "rock n roll music".  sooo bad.  I'd rather listen to SIP.  and i only meant that i wish the covers were more strewn out in the setlist. 

I actually didn't mind it being there? It was fun to hear live!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-20120522-beach-boys-concert-chicago-theatre-pictures,0,1852309.photogallery

and the review:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-beach-boys-concert-review-beach-boys-at-chicago-theatre-reviewed-20120521,0,4488150.column

Brian's really into H&V:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlfMzRbEyZw&feature=channel&list=UL
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:18:18 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrn-_2A63TA

Never seen Brian so into a performance, amazing! I bet Jeff shitted his pants at 2.07 Grin

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

yeah his "Damn the thunder" is quite emphatic. lol
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »

So I'm finally getting around to posting about the whole show. As everyone else said, and the video shows, it was really great. I'm glad to read last night's show was good too, I wish I could have gone to both nights. If you can get tickets to a show, do it. Even if you end up with the worst seats in the house, you'll still have an amazing time. I know all of us here wish we could tweak the set list and do this and that differently, but even the things I don't necessarily think are the best choices still work. Everything about this reunion has been well thought out and planned, and when things are glaringly bad (live autotune) they've been changed. I think The Beach Boys as a whole have really gotten it right this time, finding the happy medium to please everyone across their fan base. This tour would be a great way for them to go out, but I really hope they keep going, because they are still very good.
MBE
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »

It actually rocked pretty hard. The end of the show wasn't a bummer to me because they did everything with class.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »

Rock N Roll Music has sounded really really good on the YouTube videos I've seen so far. So I think it should stay unless they want to replace it with something off the Love You album.

No mas, por favor.
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »

MAN! Never seen Brian like that before, not in his old age at least. You Chi-Town folks are lucky, I wish Brian was this great at the show I saw him at. He's definitely starting to warm up to this tour; makes me wish they'd come to my town 20 days later!
MBE
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »

MAN! Never seen Brian like that before, not in his old age at least. You Chi-Town folks are lucky, I wish Brian was this great at the show I saw him at. He's definitely starting to warm up to this tour; makes me wish they'd come to my town 20 days later!

Still can't get over how good he was myself. Not since 1970 has he been this good or invested on a Beach Boys show
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:49 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrn-_2A63TA

Never seen Brian so into a performance, amazing! I bet Jeff sh*tted his pants at 2.07 Grin

Ah, I love when stuff like this happens ^_^ Gets me a little choked up sometimes.

Shame that I have no money to speak of, as I could've went to this show. Cry

Edit: Wow, "Heroes" is even better! It's so good to hear the guy sing with so much confidence.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:26:14 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »

You guys should check out I Just Wasn't Made For These Times from this show. Brian goes for the high notes, and damn near hits them.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:11 AM »

You guys should check out I Just Wasn't Made For These Times from this show. Brian goes for the high notes, and damn near hits them.  Smiley
Like I said the crowd gave him a standing ovation on that one! The low parts were sung with the metre and care of pre 1975 Brian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wR0ZGSXMNE
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »

His tone sounds more full in the high range than on the Pet Sounds Live CD.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »

Wow, tour looks actually even better ! and holy moly Bruce is AWESOME :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1nVCoD9hIc
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:05 PM »

*keep it up for june 8th please please*
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »

Yes please....

Brian is singing the sh*t out of IJWMFTT. Holy crap that's awesome.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

Wow, tour looks actually even better ! and holy moly Bruce is AWESOME :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1nVCoD9hIc

I wish he would leave his mic alone. I counted 12 adjustments in that one clip and he seems to do it on all songs at all shows!

Of course for anyone who has never noticed before, this will be a distraction to you from now on. Sorry about that. Wink
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:27 AM »

Yeah he does moves it a lot haha, i think we all noticed that

But man, i maen from all the clips i've seen/heard before, it wasn't that great quality, at least i don't remember hearing his vocals that clearly! and wow, he really does still have that beautiful voice, he really needs more spots on the new album or the next one along with Al Jardine!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 08:26:53 AM »

MODIFIED TO MAKE MYSELF APPEAR MORE INTELLIGENT
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:30:11 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx