gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 17: Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL 5/21/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 36110 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »

Show info here

1. Do It Again
2. Catch a Wave
3. Hawaii
4. Don't Back Down
5. Surfin' Safari
6. Surfer Girl
7. Please Let Me Wonder
8. Marcella
9. Wendy
10. Then I Kissed Her
11. Why Do Fools Fall in Love (Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers cover)
12. When I Grow Up (to be a Man)
13. Cottonfields (Lead Belly cover)
14. It’s OK
15. Little Honda
16. Be True to Your School
17. Disney Girls
18. Kiss Me, Baby
19. Don't Worry Baby
20. Little Deuce Coupe
21. 409
22. Shut Down
23. I Get Around

Intermission

24. Add Some Music to Your Day
25. California Dreamin’ (The Mamas & the Papas cover)
26. Sloop John B
27. Wouldn't It Be Nice
28. I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times
29. Forever
30. Sail On Sailor
31. All This is That
32. Heroes and Villains
33. That’s Why God Made the Radio
34. In My Room
35. God Only Knows
36. Good Vibrations
37. California Girls
38. Help Me Rhonda
39. Rock and Roll Music (Chuck Berry cover)
40. Do You Wanna Dance? (Bobby Freeman cover)
41. Surfin' USA

Encore

42. Kokomo
43. Barbara Ann (The Regents cover)
44. Fun Fun Fun
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:06:45 AM by Justin » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »

Holy sh*t, people are lined up half way down Lake and the doors just opened. The energy seems good so far!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »

Fantastic, Keep us updated

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »

I'll definitely update during intermission, but probably not ongoing during the show. So far, not much action. There are a lot of people here though, and the lines at the merch counters are long. They have got to be making a killing. I got a program and the hoodie and my husband got a t-shirt, so they've made plenty off of me tonight.

Getting so close now...
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »

Brian is really engaged tonight. Extremely animated...he really rocked Marcella  Rock!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »

This has been a string of very good performances by Brian  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »

Basic run down after the first set: harmonies sound great! The mix is good too, you can hear everything pretty clearly. I guess I don't even know what to say now, I guess I'll wait until later to give a more detailed review.

As far as the set list, here are the changes from Atlantic City. I'll write out the while thing properly later.

After Please Let Me Wonder we got Marcella (and it was totally amazing!) and Wendy. They didn't do You're So Good To Me, but I would make that trade any day of the week, based on the other shows I've heard clips of YSGTM this tour.

There were some changes to the order too, and I'll detail those later.

I'm up in the balcony, so I can't really see facial expressions so well, but everybody seems pretty into it. I've Brian quite a bit in the harmonies. To be honest though, I've haven't been paying really close attention to any one particular member. There is so much awesome stuff going on on that stage.

Crowd response has been very warm so far. Every time Brian sings there is an eruption and Mike's jokes and banner have been getting good laughs.

Lights are down, time for the second half!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »

Thanks Amanda and J.G

If I see them summer this I'm really hoping for Marcella

J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »

Just got back to the hotel. Another amazing show. As I posted in the intermission, Brian was REALLY on tonight. Not only was he really animated (hands, arms, and shoulders were flying all over the place), but he was chatty too. When they opened up the 2nd set, the lights were still down but you could hear Brian "What are we going to do now Add Some Music? who wrote that song?" Smiley

Then right after ASM, he introduces the next song "And now our boy Al to sing a song!" and they go right into California Dreamin'. And after a fantastic version of Good Vibrations, he announces the next song..."And now Mike is gonna sing our anthem. It's not as good as Good Vibrations...but" and they launch into California Girls. Just an awsome night all around for Brian.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »

Just got back to the hotel. Another amazing show. As I posted in the intermission, Brian was REALLY on tonight. Not only was he really animated (hands, arms, and shoulders were flying all over the place), but he was chatty too. When they opened up the 2nd set, the lights were still down but you could hear Brian "What are we going to do now Add Some Music? who wrote that song?" Smiley

Then right after ASM, he introduces the next song "And now our boy Al to sing a song!" and they go right into California Dreamin'. And after a fantastic version of Good Vibrations, he announces the next song..."And now Mike is gonna sing our anthem. It's not as good as Good Vibrations...but" and they launch into California Girls. Just an awsome night all around for Brian.

That's awesome. I'm glad he's coming out of his shell and having some fun.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »

Brian sometimes had bad nights...sometimes good nights.  But  tonight was a GREAT night.

I have NEVER seen Brian so on....not in the five other times I"ve seen him in person or in the countless videos I've seen online, DVD or whatever...have I seen him so animated, energetic and just downright HAPPY to be on stage and enjoying doing the show.  The first signs were simple: he was smiling..a lot and very early on in the show.  As the "Do It Again" started he greeted the guys behind him: Nicky, Darian, Scott with a nod and a smile.  He smiled to the crowd A LOT.  At one point he actually did a huge "Yeah!" to someone in the crowd who was singing along with the song.  Brian waved his arms, pointed to anyone who had a solo or a spotlight on them.  When he sang leads like on "Please Let Me Wonder" or "Marcella" he would almost GROWL his lyrics.  He was so anxious to get to the mic and sing.  Twice I recall deep growls as he attacked his lyric. The Brian we knew in the studio, barking orders was this Brian I saw on stage.   Two standout moments that stood out were right as they started "Add Some Music To Your Day" the stage lights were still dim but you could here the band start to gather at Brian's piano.  Then you heard from Brian: "Okay guys, what are we doing?  Add Some Music To Your Day?  Who wrote that one?" then the band breaks up and start cracking jokes.  All the laughing and muttering starts to sound like that classic studio chatter we've heard where they're giggling and cracking jokes.  This was unreal.

Soon after that, he says "Okay, California Dreamin??"  Then he counts it off!  "Ah one, a two, a three..."  while Al runs over to his place to pick up his guitar and follow Brian's lead.  Brian then says "And now we have Al singing for you another song....." HA!  Finally a glimpse into Brian "barking orders" as they say.  He was really into the song and sang with gusto.  He sang on all the songs.  Keeping a very close eye on either Jeff or Mike the entire show.  The biggest wow moment of the night was right after "Good Vibrations" as the crowd is clapping...Brian speaks up and says "Wait wait!  And now Mike Love is going to sing a song that's not as good as Good Vibrations but still good...Here's Mike on lead vocals!"  The band cracks up...we're all in awe.  The crowd doesn't know how to handle this...my mouth is hanging open.  Later Brian straps on his bass and it's good stuff.  The bows come and he takes it all in.  Did anyone see that thread I started a few days ago "Where does Brian run to?"  haha...well tonight, he didn't run anywhere.   He stayed on stage and WANTED to stay.

My favorite moment was early on after a song, Mike had said something like "A wonderful song written by the great Brian Wilson!"  The crowd erupts and gives Brian an ovation.  As Mike points to Brian and we redirect our attention to Brian...we see Brian let out a huge sneeze!  Perfection.

Some pics I took:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:52:29 AM by Justin » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 10:02:22 PM »

Fantastic reviews  Grin

Can't wait for some video

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »

When he sang leads like on "Please Let Me Wonder" or "Marcella" he would almost GROWL his lyrics.  He was so anxious to get to the mic and sing.  Twice I recall deep growls as he attacked his lyric.

I noticed this, too! The standout for me me was on "Sail on Sailor". "DAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNN the thunder!" He sounded great!

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
MBE
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 10:57:45 PM »

I AM KNOCKED OUT! This is THE BEST Beach Boys tour since 1975. Not one song was thrown away, rushed, or even off. Al sounds amazing, haven't seen him since 1993 and I was bowled over. Brian sang his ass off. He sounded like Brian Wilson, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times he got a standing ovation I actually shed a tear.  Sail On Sailor was as good as Blondie. It was the best I have seen him sound in person ever. Of course he doesn't hit the high notes but he sang like an undamaged vocally Brian Wilson would have sounded. I was stunned. Mike and Bruce were so into the show in a way I haven't seen either of them since like 1980. The bass vocals from Love and Disney Girls was out of sight. The Carl and Dennis tributes were terrific. It blends with their voices seamlessly. Seeing Bruce sing his part on God Only Knows while Carl sang was so touching. David was masterful on guitar. All those great treblely notes from the early Capitol LP's was there. People EVEN BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL WAS GOOD. The song selection was fantastic. Two So Tough songs two Sunflower songs, Cottonfields, Then I Kissed Her (again Al was amazing). Heroes was beyond cool. Even the two 15 Big Ones tracks sounded vital! OK so Kokomo was Kokomo but it was well done. Brian seemed to really hate playing it so he barely did. Only time he really zoned out. I can't argue with your taste Brian. Anyhow you must see this show if you haven't and have a chance. It was a dream come true for me.

Did I mention that it was DAMN GOOD!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:05:21 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
MBE
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »

Also just found out they are shooting a DVD documentary. I got to speak about how the Beach Boys represent America over the last 50 years. Talked about the James Watt thing etc. I don't know if they will use me but I am excited to see what it will turn out to be.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:21 PM »

I AM KNOCKED OUT! This is THE BEST Beach Boys tour since 1975. Not one song was thrown away, rushed, or even off. Al sounds amazing, haven't seen him since 1993 and I was bowled over. Brian sang his ass off. He sounded like Brian Wilson, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times he got a standing ovation I actually shed a tear.  Sail On Sailor was as good as Blondie. It was the best I have seen him sound in person ever. Of course he doesn't hit the high notes but he sang like an undamaged vocally Brian Wilson would have sounded. I was stunned. Mike and Bruce were so into the show in a way I haven't seen either of them since like 1980. The bass vocals from Love and Disney Girls was out of sight. The Carl and Dennis tributes were terrific. It blends with their voices seamlessly. Seeing Bruce sing his part on God Only Knows while Carl sang was so touching. David was masterful on guitar. All those great treblely notes from the early Capitol LP's was there. People EVEN BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL WAS GOOD. The song selection was fantastic. Two So Tough songs two Sunflower songs, Cottonfields, Then I Kissed Her (again Al was amazing). Heroes was beyond cool. Even the two 15 Big Ones tracks sounded vital! OK so Kokomo was Kokomo but it was well done. Brian seemed to really hate playing it so he barely did. Only time he really zoned out. I can't argue with your taste Brian. Anyhow you must see this show if you haven't and have a chance. It was a dream come true for me.

Awesome!!! I hope I have a similar experience 8 June!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:19 PM »

When he sang leads like on "Please Let Me Wonder" or "Marcella" he would almost GROWL his lyrics.  He was so anxious to get to the mic and sing.  Twice I recall deep growls as he attacked his lyric.

I noticed this, too! The standout for me me was on "Sail on Sailor". "DAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNN the thunder!" He sounded great!

Yes I remember that!  If there was one evening to hear "Sail on Sailor" it was tonight.....he delivered it with so much power.  It was amazing, it was as if Brian was saving all his energy for THIS particular show...because all that bottled up excitement that seems to be redirected in other places like in the studio--finally showed up on stage tonight.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 12:03:05 AM »

I AM KNOCKED OUT! This is THE BEST Beach Boys tour since 1975. Not one song was thrown away, rushed, or even off. Al sounds amazing, haven't seen him since 1993 and I was bowled over. Brian sang his ass off. He sounded like Brian Wilson, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times he got a standing ovation I actually shed a tear.  Sail On Sailor was as good as Blondie. It was the best I have seen him sound in person ever. Of course he doesn't hit the high notes but he sang like an undamaged vocally Brian Wilson would have sounded. I was stunned. Mike and Bruce were so into the show in a way I haven't seen either of them since like 1980. The bass vocals from Love and Disney Girls was out of sight. The Carl and Dennis tributes were terrific. It blends with their voices seamlessly. Seeing Bruce sing his part on God Only Knows while Carl sang was so touching. David was masterful on guitar. All those great treblely notes from the early Capitol LP's was there. People EVEN BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL WAS GOOD. The song selection was fantastic. Two So Tough songs two Sunflower songs, Cottonfields, Then I Kissed Her (again Al was amazing). Heroes was beyond cool. Even the two 15 Big Ones tracks sounded vital! OK so Kokomo was Kokomo but it was well done. Brian seemed to really hate playing it so he barely did. Only time he really zoned out. I can't argue with your taste Brian. Anyhow you must see this show if you haven't and have a chance. It was a dream come true for me.

great stuff!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 12:09:36 AM »

The added intro to "It's OK" sounds just like "Skatetown USA".  Huh  LOL

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »

Everyone,

Thanks for the setlist and your observations!  I can't wait for them to get to California!

Will they be doing California Saga in their home state?  I sure hope so.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:58 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-beach-boys-concert-review-beach-boys-at-chicago-theatre-reviewed-20120521,0,4488150.column

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »

I've been avoiding the board so I wouldn't have any idea what to expect last night.  I think the coolest thing for me was having Dennis do Forever and Carl do God Only Knows (though at times his vocals were too quiet).  I thought those tributes were the best thing I've ever seen at a concert for deceased band members.

My girlfriend enjoyed the show overall (it started a bit slow for her with the early material) and not being a big fan, she did get into it later on.  She wanted to hear Vega-Tables, but it was not to be.

I was hoping to hear more SMiLE material, and a mention of it coming out last year, but oh well.  With over 40 songs, I can't really complain!!!  They really covered the entire songbook from 1962 to now.  Just about every album was represented.

I was surprised they did All This Is That (cool).  Other highlights - Add Some Music To Your Day was amazing, probably my favorite of the show.  Please Let Me Wonder, Marcella (though I miss the hard rocking '72 sound), and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.  I liked seeing David play a lot of solos (he was ok, but I liked the effort).  Bruce mentioned he grew up on the south side of Chicago.  Mike waved off the University of Illinois sign during Be True To Your School.  A little Big Ten - Pac Ten Rose Bowl rivalry there!  UCLA did play Illinois in the 1984 game... and killed them.  Brian looked grim for most of the night but when he did talk, he was good 'ol Brian! 

That being said, I think I'll go back tonight and Do it Again! Grin
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »

Also just found out they are shooting a DVD documentary. I got to speak about how the Beach Boys represent America over the last 50 years. Talked about the James Watt thing etc. I don't know if they will use me but I am excited to see what it will turn out to be.

Mike, was anyone shooting video of this performace? This is the kind of show that needs to end up on a DVD especially if Brian was so great.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »

Sorta a bummer that of the last six songs, three are covers and one is kokomo
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx