gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680850 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:54:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye To Robin Gibb  (Read 2714 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »

What an incredible singer. I'll miss him greatly.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »

Still trying to take it in! His voice has always connected to me in a deep way, I think it's that vibrato sending out some kind of energy. Definitely something in there that went beyond just singing notes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »

Sadly, he was the only one of the 3 Bee Gees that I never got to meet. I had been collecting the group's music since 1968. R.I.P.

As for the one surviving brother, Barry Gibb, he is a very reserved man who doesn't speak or show emotion much, who is unlike his public interview persona. The first time that I met him was two days before Maurice's funeral. He was choked up, barely able to utter a few words. People who know him well say that he was deeply affected by losing Andy & Maurice. I hope that Barry(with help from his lovely wife Linda) is going to get through what he's going through now, and not become further withdrawn. The best thing that he could do at this point would be to immerse himself in his work, to take his mind off his grief. He recently played a one-off concert in Florida, and it was well received, so a solo concert performing career may give him a future direction and purpose.

Here's one positive fact: no other group has ever lasted as long(with the same personel) as The Bee Gees, excepting(perhaps) The Four Tops. The Bee Gees music will continue to bring pleasure to millions of people. Unfortunately, even Robin's passing will not get Warner Music to stop neglecting The Bee Gees' back catalogue music . The license to Warner Music lasts until 2016. The least they (Warner Music) could do is show some respect and reissue Robin's solo albums. As for unreleased group or solo material, it is unlikely we'll get any until after the Warner Music deal ends.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:09:16 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »

It was good that Robin got extra time with his loved ones, including Barry, who sang at his bedside for days to get him to wake up from a coma.  That was really moving to read about.  Robin was the only Bee Gee I ever got to see perform and he had such an interesting, unique voice.  I always loved their music from the early pop days to their classier take on disco.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »

Still trying to take it in! His voice has always connected to me in a deep way, I think it's that vibrato sending out some kind of energy. Definitely something in there that went beyond just singing notes.

He had the sob.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »

Very sad day for sure. He's missed.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:51 AM »

Very sad indeed. He had one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. Saw them live during the Main Course tour when I was around 13 and still remember it like it was yesterday.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »

Stop dying already, musicians I love.

RIP, Robin. The Staying Alive OST is one of my first musical memories.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »

I Think Donna Summers, Robin's and Davy Jones' death were the most shocking death in the business, Sorry to say it But Whitney Houston wasn't really a surprise  Sad, A bunch of great vocalist passed on this year sad =\
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »

Bye, Robin. Thank you.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »

The best thing about Robin Gibb was, now that he's gone, you can't remember one bad thing about him.  He always looked the same, he seemed like a kind soul who just happened to have a beautiful voice.  He lived his life and left us all that great music.  Now he's off to join that hell of a band in Rock & Roll heaven, goodbye Robin!  Say hi to your brothers for us, we'll all be there soon enough. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »

Barry became sort of the hearthrob of the group, but I always liked Robin's voice the best. Some of the earliest record buys I ever had were Bee Gees 45's from the local Giant T store. Someone mentioned the Four Tops...now there's another group who's music is ingrained in me forever. Really sad we are losing so many of the greats of the 60's and 70's. Fortunately, I did get to see the Tops in the 90's when all 4 were still alive. Never had that chance with the Brothers Gibb.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »

The best thing about Robin Gibb was, now that he's gone, you can't remember one bad thing about him.  He always looked the same, he seemed like a kind soul who just happened to have a beautiful voice.  He lived his life and left us all that great music.  Now he's off to join that hell of a band in Rock & Roll heaven, goodbye Robin!  Say hi to your brothers for us, we'll all be there soon enough. 

I was just saying much the same thing at work today Ron. I think all three of them were remarkably grounded people considering the success they had. He'll be sorely missed.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »

Barry Gibb posted a video tribute to his brother on YouTube a couple of days ago, featuring clips that include family home movies and their early career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7HbY_lafk
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx