gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:56:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New demo: Cognitive Dissonance  (Read 3830 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

I wrote this in two bursts. The first one was about a week ago (the one I said in the Making Music thread was being done on an acoustic guitar) and includes up through the first refrain, the "never leave you, dear" line. From there on was mostly written yesterday and a little bit today, and yes, I recognize they are polar opposites (hence the title). I hope you like it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y19kgh

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »

Really good Luther! It reminds me of Brian demos in the 70s, and I love Brian demos in the 70s Smiley

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:32:08 PM »

I appreciate that. It was a pretty quickly written one and it felt really good to me, kind of important to finish. As with the other recent (e.g. past few months) songs, I'll record it properly as soon as I decide on a solid batch to go forward with.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »

"Promptly" in this case meant "in about three years."

This is a ballad that I really rethought and overthought a lot. It wants to be the ultimate cheesy power ballad, but it does have a certain amount of drama inherent in it. So I tried to walk a line that let me stay on the tolerable side of melodrama and cliche.

Zach drummed, as is the case on my past few recordings. I did the rest yesterday, with the music box and (typically bad) mix today.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/cognitive-dissonance

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »

Nice production!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »

Thanks, Bean Bag. I'm not sure I agree--what's new!?--but I appreciate that.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »

Really?   Cheesy  What don't you like about it?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:42:18 AM »

I don't hate it, but I'm not totally satisfied. (I'm also not about to spend much time tinkering, because let's be honest, it just doesn't matter. We move on with our lives.) "Production" can include a lot of disparate things, some of which I am satisfied with. I like the arrangement. I'm not unhappy with the performances. The main things I don't like are:

a) I feel like the drums and the rest of the track sound patched together, two disparate things. This is, of course, true. But so are all the individual instrumental and vocal tracks, and I though they blended well. So something about how I mixed it just isn't working. (Not that I don't like the drumming itself, or the recording of it. Zach did a good job.)

b) The electric guitar, aside from maybe the staccato part on "never leave you dear," doesn't come through in a way I'd like it to, and when I push it up, it's just too loud. And it's kind of muddy, lost amidst the piano and things, which I wasn't expecting since I put it in a higher register.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 12:15:48 PM »

I honestly didn't hear the guitar!  Sometimes really compressing the crap out of a guitar helps it bust through the mix without getting too loud.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx