gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:54:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VIP Nation Giving Out Signed Pictures At Meet & Greets???  (Read 8742 times)
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »

In the past couple of days on a certain auction web site, there have been a few recent promo 8x10 pictures signed by all five of the guys listed for sale.  I contacted one of the sellers to ask how the autographs were obtained, and he told me that VIP Nation gave them out to the 50 people who had purchased VIP packages at a recent concert.  Has anyone heard anything about this?  It seems rather surprising that they would give these out for free without them being advertised in the package, especialy since VIP Nation seems to be keeping a no autograph policy.  I know the band has been selling autographed tour books at the merchandise stands for $100, but free signed pictures can't possibly be true.  Has anyone encountered anything like this at one of the shows?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:02:18 AM »

In the past couple of days on a certain auction web site, there have been a few recent promo 8x10 pictures signed by all five of the guys listed for sale.  I contacted one of the sellers to ask how the autographs were obtained, and he told me that VIP Nation gave them out to the 50 people who had purchased VIP packages at a recent concert.  Has anyone heard anything about this?  It seems rather surprising that they would give these out for free without them being advertised in the package, especialy since VIP Nation seems to be keeping a no autograph policy.  I know the band has been selling autographed tour books at the merchandise stands for $100, but free signed pictures can't possibly be true.  Has anyone encountered anything like this at one of the shows?

That is no surprise.  I don't think it was an official VIP Nation event. Oddly enough, mine was missing from my goodie bag, which was more than generous, as was the entire event.  And generosity of BB spirit.  I should have checked right away. But the lure of 3 "sociables" in the reception area overtook my prudence.  It was a grand community event. Bravo Westchester!

Outside the venue, was an individual whom I have seen in the tristate area after BB shows.  It also seemed that this person knew people with VIP tags would have this item in the bag.  I wrote about this last August but on BBB, whose links don't go back that far.  In August, 2011, I had seen this person, with a pristine looking LP looking for BB autographs. (It did not look like my old well loved and dragged around, Pet Sounds.)

This person had not gone to the event as someone asked if the show was enjoyed.  When I saw this person at Staten Island, and did have a ticket, I suspected that this individual reads these boards and at least had a ticket.

Fully disgusted by this predatory activity, I would be on my guard for anyone asking to buy the photo.  My impression was that it was an event that the Boys would autograph an item you brought to the event, and I brought my old 45 of The Little Girl I Once Knew, for that purpose.  It seems that the beautiful 50th autographed photo was a reasonable substitute and conservation for time constraints.  

What might offset some of this slimy activity might be to personalize an item with the name of the requester, rendering it immediately far less valuable to an ebayer.  It would be like driving a new car off the lot. It might discourage some of the activity.  Often, when a person passes away, their treasures appear on eBay. This is not the same.  I often will often buy an item of this nature, especially if it has Carl's or Dennis' autograph.  

What it might do is harm the good faith of the Boys, always trying to accommodate what appears to be good faith with fans looking for an autograph on a treasured item.  Big difference.  They are doing the right thing. This predatory merchant is not.  

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:38:04 AM by filledeplage » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »

I saw this as well, a few times actually...don't know if it was the same seller. One was just selling the picture, as was another. But, one had the picture, the shirt, AND a keychain and program, which he all said came with the VIP package. Mine, does not feature the keychain or program...to my knowledge, could be wrong. i thought I got a shirt,poster, and tote bag.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »

This is what amazed me.  The VIP package that I bought offers a picture with the band, t shirt, tote bag, and poster.  There is no mention of a keychain or signed picture.  It seems that if they were regularly giving these items out, we'd of heard reports from other members on the board.  Normaly, I'd assume that the seller is mistaken, but he does say that he's including a flyer which advertised this package. 

On another note, the one seller is asking $699 or best offer for the picture.  I contacted him, and he said that the lowest he is going to go is $600!  You can get a picture signed by Dennis and Carl for less than this!  I suspect that he's going to be holding onto his picture unless he comes back down to Earth.  You can buy the tour program signed by all five guys for $100.
Shark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »

At the AC show I saw what I assume was a poster size version of what the inside of the album will look like with the lyrics for all of the songs. It was basically the CD booklet, uncut,in poster size. I was told there were 100 of them on the tables they were sitting on, although when I passed by, it looked far less than that. Anyway, each of the Beach Boys took time to sign them. I was assuming they were going to be handed out to the VIP package people but I'm not sure. Did anyone on the board buy the VIP package for this show?
madworld
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:14:26 AM »

Several sellers I have checked with regarding photos from the Westchester meet & greet seem to confirm that it was not a show promoted by Live Nation, which might explain the difference in the items provided in the tote bag.  One seller indicated the Westchester rules flyer states there would be autographs from the band.  Still, it would be nice to find someone on the board who attended who can independently verify this.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »

It turns out that they are now selling autographed 8x10's of the band right at the Merch table.  $50.  They are not passed out during the meet and greets, but they are sold at the shows.  That doesn't mean the legitimacy of these autographs from these ebay sellers checks out though.  Just keep a heads up.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:45:09 AM »

A story going around claims that two experts familiar with Beach Boy autographs state that four of the autographs on the 50th anniversary posters were signed by the band members, while the autograph of the fifth band member is done by someone else who has the ability to closely approximate that band member's signature.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:06:38 AM »

A story going around claims that two experts familiar with Beach Boy autographs state that four of the autographs on the 50th anniversary posters were signed by the band members, while the autograph of the fifth band member is done by someone else who has the ability to closely approximate that band member's signature.

Um...ok...?  Huh

Well if I get what you're "saying"...then I'm assuming you mean Brian's is the one faked?  Not sure where you got this story but I can sorta believe it.  The signed picture sold at the merch table looks like Brian's signature...wobbly lines and the same trail off with the dash at the end.  But a few years ago during the Gershwin shows, they were selling a bunch of CDs signed by Brian and I was shocked because the signature I saw on those CDs were from my opinion--not signed by Brian, but rather, signed by someone who definitely tried to "approximate" as best they could.  The lines were smooth and very clean....I've never seen a clean, cursive perfect Brian sig...and now here they were on stacks of these CDs.  It definitely looked faked and I stayed clear of them.  I can't say that any of those issues are here in these signed pics...unless of course that staff member really did their homework and has now gotten Brian's signature down pat.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:31:18 AM »

I've been lucky enough to get several autographs directly from Brian over the years, and every one looks different.  It does seem that his mood and level of comfort is reflected in the type of signature he gives.  I've gotten everything from a pretty nice cursive signature to one almost straight line that was suppose to be "Brian".  My wife and I were at a meet and greet in 2005 and we both got a CD signed.  The CD he signed for me was pretty much a B and a W with a line after it.  The CD he signed for my wife had a good cursive signature.  He signed these only seconds apart, but the signatures were very different.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »

The CD he signed for me was pretty much a B and a W with a line after it.  The CD he signed for my wife had a good cursive signature.
Grin Brian ya dawg.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:02 AM »

I wonder if this is the case with the $100.00 concert program with the sigs.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »

I wonder if this is the case with the $100.00 concert program with the sigs.

It would be funnier if the BBs were having all the sigs faked.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »

Well, I kinda hope that they are selling these at least at the show I'm at!!! I've really been worrying about the uncertainty in getting their autograph that day, AND, I can't really think of any single item I own that I'd want ALL of them to sign. I was going to buy the vinyl of TWGMTR, and have them sign that...but it isn't out till August now!

But, being able to buy this, would save a lot of hastle and risk, and I don't think $50 is too much to ask, AT ALL. Grin
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »

I saw nine autographed BBs 8 x 10 photos at the Irvine show.  Brian's autograph varied considerably, often very significantly, on these band photos, while the autographs of the other guys remained essentially the same.  

A friend emailed photos he took of a few of Brian's autographs, on the band photos sold at the Irvine show, to an autograph expert.  This expert stated that those were authentic BW autographs.  This expert also sent my friend a photo of a BW autograph on a BBs 50th Tour program sold at a recent show, which he and another expert said was not done by BW.  So in my comment above, the expert opinion (in that case two experts) was that the BW autograph on a Tour Program, rather than a band photo, as I originally posted above, had been done by someone else.

This in no way implies that all BW autographs on the Tour Programs are done by someone else.  And having attended three shows in Southern California, to the best of my knowledge there were no autographed tour programs available at these shows.  They, along with the photos, are sold only when the band members find time to sign a few.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:33:40 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »

Sorry, duplicate post!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:34:09 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »

Another dup post!  I've gotta remember to hit 'modify', rather than 'quote', when adding to my original post!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:35:07 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »

I saw nine autographed BBs 8 x 10 photos at the Irvine show.  Brian's autograph varied considerably, often very significantly, on these band photos, while the autographs of the other guys remained essentially the same.  

A friend emailed photos he took of a few of Brian's autographs, on the band photos sold at the Irvine show, to an autograph expert.  This expert stated that those were authentic BW autographs.  This expert also sent my friend a photo of a BW autograph on a BBs 50th Tour program sold at a recent show, which he and another expert said was not done by BW.  So in my comment above, the expert opinion (in that case two experts) was that the BW autograph on a Tour Program, rather than a band photo, as I originally posted above, had been done by someone else.

This in no way implies that all BW autographs on the Tour Programs are done by someone else.  And having attended three shows in Southern California, to the best of my knowledge there were no autographed tour programs available at these shows.  They, along with the photos, are sold only when the band members find time to sign a few.

What would really help would be posting the photos of the autographs so we all can see exactly the samples being used.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »

How much were they?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 12:16:09 AM »

The autographed photos go for $50.  The autographed tour programs go for $100, a $75 premium over the regular program. 

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 03:33:31 AM »

The autographed photos go for $50.  The autographed tour programs go for $100, a $75 premium over the regular program. 

I don't like the idea of having the program signed...I'd be afraid to read it and smudge up the cover or something!

The picture seems pretty great though, and reasonably priced...even if Brian's is questionable.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 05:55:55 AM »

The signed 8x10 photos I've seen have a Brian signature that is indistiguishable from another poster I have with his autograph that is 100% authenticated. I'm not saying something can't be faked, but if the "fake" is indistinguishable either because it's a really good fake or because his sig varies so much, then it would be hard to authenticate one way or the other.

The signed 8x10 seems to have autographs that require a bit more attention and thus look less "off the cuff", because each member is clearly trying to sign over their own torso on the photo in the area that is light (their shirts) where black ink can be seen. Wow, this is way too much analysis.  LOL

The only reason I don't buy this story is because it seems such a frivolous thing to do. If they were really that hard up to get Brian's signature on a few dozen photos they are selling for 50 bucks, they wouldn't bother with it at all. Both the photos and programs that are signed are apparently being done on either a show-by-show basis or every few days or every few shows. They sometimes don't have them at every show, and/or don't have them ready when they start selling merchandise before the show. They don't seem to place a huge emphasis on having these signed items available at all times. If they can't get all of them to sign stuff, they just don't offer it. Makes no sense to fake an autograph that they don't *need* to have out there at all.

In the BB world, anything is possible of course.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:58:06 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »

The signed 8x10 photos I've seen have a Brian signature that is indistiguishable from another poster I have with his autograph that is 100% authenticated. I'm not saying something can't be faked, but if the "fake" is indistinguishable either because it's a really good fake or because his sig varies so much, then it would be hard to authenticate one way or the other.

The signed 8x10 seems to have autographs that require a bit more attention and thus look less "off the cuff", because each member is clearly trying to sign over their own torso on the photo in the area that is light (their shirts) where black ink can be seen. Wow, this is way too much analysis.  LOL

The only reason I don't buy this story is because it seems such a frivolous thing to do. If they were really that hard up to get Brian's signature on a few dozen photos they are selling for 50 bucks, they wouldn't bother with it at all. Both the photos and programs that are signed are apparently being done on either a show-by-show basis or every few days or every few shows. They sometimes don't have them at every show, and/or don't have them ready when they start selling merchandise before the show. They don't seem to place a huge emphasis on having these signed items available at all times. If they can't get all of them to sign stuff, they just don't offer it. Makes no sense to fake an autograph that they don't *need* to have out there at all.

You have some very good points about Brian's signature.  It does seem unlikely that they would try forging a few signatures to make a relatively small amount of profit in the grand scheme of this tour.  Brian's signature can vary greatly,  and that's why I think "experts" can have a hard time authenticating his signature.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 12:12:21 AM »

... The only reason I don't buy this story is because it seems such a frivolous thing to do. If they were really that hard up to get Brian's signature on a few dozen photos they are selling for 50 bucks, they wouldn't bother with it at all. ...

I can't disagree with your logic.  I first mentioned this when I heard that two experts had said that some BW autographs looked like they were done by someone else, the assumption being that that could be the case for all the signed items on the tour.  But then one of these two experts stated that the cell phone photos he saw of BW's autograph on photos sold at the Irvine show looked like authentic BW autographs to him.  (Sorry that i don't have photos of the autographs under discussion to post here.)  As I stated above, the variation in the BW autographs on the Irvine band photos was quite significant.  In fact, one of them looked more like it said "Brain Love" rather than "Brian Wilson".  Not being anywhere near an "autograph authentication expert", the main difference I noted in the cell phone photo I was shown of the tour program autograph supposedly done by someone else was a prominent loop in the middle of the "W" in "Wilson".

As you stated, in the BB world, anything is possible, of course.  Brian: "Hey Jeff, my hand is a little sore from playing Ding Dang on my hotel room keyboard last night.  Could you rattle off a few autographs for me?"  Jeff: "Sure, Bri."

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »

Ding Dang is just the gift that keeps on giving.  Smiley  I think I laugh every time it pops up.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx