gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:55:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston Interview Sep 3, 1988  (Read 2825 times)
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/bruce-johnston/concerts/interview-september-03-1988.html

Not sure if this has been posted before. Pretty good interview here. Interesting that Bruce seems to think "Wipe Out" was more a big deal than "Kokomo". Also, did The Beach Boys ever end up playing "One For The Boys" live??
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »

Interesting to hear some of the comments about the band itself in the context of the intervening 24 years.  Good listening, nice little anecdotes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:44:26 AM »

Wow, Bruce did background vocals on The Wall???!!! sh*t, i didn't know that.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:54:41 AM »

Wow, Bruce did background vocals on The Wall???!!! sh*t, i didn't know that.

As far as I remember the Beach Boys were supposed to sing on the record but it didn't happen for some reason. Bruce did it then

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 05:57:18 AM »

Aw man, what a shame!!!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/bruce-johnston/concerts/interview-september-03-1988.html

Not sure if this has been posted before. Pretty good interview here. Interesting that Bruce seems to think "Wipe Out" was more a big deal than "Kokomo". Also, did The Beach Boys ever end up playing "One For The Boys" live??

Well, not sure where Kokomo was on the charts on September 3, probably somewhere in the 20's (although I am sure someone else here actually has the answer).  It had a slow, methodical climb up the charts and didn't hit number 1 until the last week of October, nearly two full months after this interview. Probably reasonable to assume at that point that it wouldn't chart as high as Wipeout did.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »

I figured that was the case. It's really weird to hear that though!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »

From a professional standpoint, just recording the occasional single as the guys did 86-89 was probably kind of nice - not having to work too much, no longer fighting the battle of getting a complete album out, who was gonna write the songs, who was gonna produce it, etc. But as a fan those years were absolutely maddening! Every year I would think "maybe they'll get a new album out", but every year there was an excuse not to do one.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »

On one hand, I respect Bruce for admitting that he does a lot of this stuff for the money. You see him writing it on a chalkboard in David Leaf's book about the band, and you can hear it in interviews over the years.

However, I don't like the way he plays down the band in certain ways. He almost plays into what people think of when they think of those "lame, cheesy" Beach Boys.  And I absolutely love how he dismisses the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing, especially since he wasn't f*cking inducted. I'm pretty sure it was just Brian, Mike, Al, Dennis, and Carl. And then maybe in like '08 I think David got in too. So yeah, Brucie, I'm sure getting a Grammy is better, riiiiiiiiight. Especially since you weren't inducted into the RRHOF and wouldn't know what it felt like. Personally I think the Grammy's are absolute bullsh*t picked by stupid people, and I think the RRHOF is just some stupid thing Jann Wenner or whatever made up, and that's garbage too. But shame on Bruce for bullsh*tting like that. He didn't get in!

I also love the thing about wherever it was being a great place to see Kenny Loggins. Bruce is trying to sound hip, and instead of sounding hip he sounds like a clueless rich asshole rock star. However, he's such a rock star he could probably walk through the local mall and not have a single person notice him. But anyways, I'm pretty sure even in 1988, Kenny Loggins was considered about as unhip and cheesy as John Stamos. Another guy Mike and Brucie the Tea Bagger always trot out to prove their cool cred.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:08:58 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »

Another guy Mike and Brucie the Tea Bagger always trot out to prove their cool cred.

Roll Eyes

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 03:22:07 AM »

...are you sitting on an uncomfortable seat?...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 05:37:51 AM »

T'be fair jimmerz, the RRHOF is indeed a joke.

(Also, sorry for not getting back to your PM yet. Sad )

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »

T'be fair jimmerz, the RRHOF is indeed a joke.

(Also, sorry for not getting back to your PM yet. Sad )

Oh, totes, I agree, RRHOF is nonsense. But I don't think the Grammy's are worth a sh*t either, despite Bruce's opinion. Neither would really mean much to me.

And yeah, I dunno why I was so snotty about Bruce. He's an alright guy, far as I know.
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »

I think back in the 80's both things had a bit more respected though. And there was actually real competition at the Grammy's. Police, Genesis, Michael Jackson all up for the same award!? That's talent.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx