gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:28:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is a gift ...  (Read 7881 times)
Paulos
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »

Listened to the 1:30 of Strange World again. And I realized, as I listened to Brian belting out his lead, along with Mike doing a crazy bass vocal -- this is a real gift. This reunion, no matter these guys' age, is a gift. It is remarkable that they have managed to do this, and make a record that seems to be impressive, besides.

And I realized, that as much as I love Brian as a solo performer, and as much as I thought he was better off without the group -- I don't know if I think that anymore. Those voices back together again, even if they're processed and missing a couple of folks -- it's still Brian and Mike and Al and Bruce singing. Those are the Beach Boys. That is a Beach Boys record, which is dumb and clever and commercial and arty all at the same time -- and it just strikes me how blessed we all are to have this.

I hope that there is more.

Not because I think this album can be topped, or because I want something better or different -- it's just that, at some level that I don't know if I appreciated before, these guys belong together. And if they are going to keep making music -- which seems 100 percent likely -- they should keep doing it together. Because having the Beach Boys singing on that record takes it to an entirely different level than the best Brian Wilson solo album. It just does.

There are so few chances in life, as people get older, to make an epilogue to their stories that is satisfying and relevant and true to their past and future. The Boys have managed to do that. I hope it is as much of a gift to them as it has been to us.
Going a bit deeper into the rabbit hole, there is the fact that we have gotten, over the past few years...

- A 2010 solo album from Brian
- A 2011 solo album from Brian
- 2011 Smile Sessions Box
- Solo album from Al
- 2012 Beach Boys album, written and produced by Brian
- 2012 Tour

Compare this to, say, the period from 2001-2003, or the mid-1990s. Great time to be a fan, indeed.

It is an amazing time to be a fan, I've only been properly into the Boys since the tail end of 2006 and in that time I feel somewhat spoiled, during that time period you can add the reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue and That Lucky Old Sun to the list above along with Jon's FAQ and David Marks books. I feel bad for all you long term fans who had to put up with years of nothingness but from 2003 onwards being a Beach Boys fan has got better and better!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »

Listened to the 1:30 of Strange World again. And I realized, as I listened to Brian belting out his lead, along with Mike doing a crazy bass vocal -- this is a real gift. This reunion, no matter these guys' age, is a gift. It is remarkable that they have managed to do this, and make a record that seems to be impressive, besides.

And I realized, that as much as I love Brian as a solo performer, and as much as I thought he was better off without the group -- I don't know if I think that anymore. Those voices back together again, even if they're processed and missing a couple of folks -- it's still Brian and Mike and Al and Bruce singing. Those are the Beach Boys. That is a Beach Boys record, which is dumb and clever and commercial and arty all at the same time -- and it just strikes me how blessed we all are to have this.

I hope that there is more.

Not because I think this album can be topped, or because I want something better or different -- it's just that, at some level that I don't know if I appreciated before, these guys belong together. And if they are going to keep making music -- which seems 100 percent likely -- they should keep doing it together. Because having the Beach Boys singing on that record takes it to an entirely different level than the best Brian Wilson solo album. It just does.

There are so few chances in life, as people get older, to make an epilogue to their stories that is satisfying and relevant and true to their past and future. The Boys have managed to do that. I hope it is as much of a gift to them as it has been to us.
Going a bit deeper into the rabbit hole, there is the fact that we have gotten, over the past few years...

- A 2010 solo album from Brian
- A 2011 solo album from Brian
- 2011 Smile Sessions Box
- Solo album from Al
- 2012 Beach Boys album, written and produced by Brian
- 2012 Tour

Compare this to, say, the period from 2001-2003, or the mid-1990s. Great time to be a fan, indeed.

From my own perspective, I was far more excited in 2001-2003

2001-2003:
Brian tours the UK twice in a six-month period, as well as touring the US, touring with the most exciting setlist he's ever done (whole Pet Sounds album, half of Smile, songs from Friends and Love You) and the best shows he's ever done, releases two live DVDs and a live CD, as well as appearing on the TNT tribute. And to top it off he announces in 2003 that early in the following year he'll be releasing a new studio album and doing a tour with a completed version of Smile. Meanwhile Mike & Bruce tour the UK twice, and slowly start rebuilding the reputation and quality of their live band by bringing in Scott Totten and John Cowsill and introducing a few non-hits. There was also the Knebworth CD and DVD and the Hawthorne, CA 2-CD set. And were the twofer reissues in this time, or a little earlier?

Even in the mid-90s, for that matter, we had Orange Crate Art, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, the Paley bootlegs, the Pet Sounds Sessions box set and Imagination to partially balance out Stars & Stripes, the horrible news of Carl's illness and death and the subsequent breakup of the band.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 10:08:51 AM »

I woke up this morning with the chorus to Spring Vacation in my head and I realized that I actually LIKE this song. So yeah.  LOL

this is what i've been going through! ever since i listened to that preview of the track it's been stuck in my head.

Me too. I've been singing it to my 13-month-old over and over. He seems to like it, even as I hate myself.  Cheesy
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »

Funny enough, gift means poison in German

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »

Hey, where was everybody a year or two ago when I was almost single-handedly posting about the possibilities of a legitimate reunion (with Brian, Al, AND David), a tour, and a new studio album. Everybody had reasons why it wouldn't work. I knew it would. police

You're the man Sheriff John Stone!  I never thought about having all the surviving Beach Boys do a concert, THAT, brother, is Genius! 

You should have screamed louder.  Is there a place I can send you a check for making all this happen?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »

It is an amazing time to be a fan, I've only been properly into the Boys since the tail end of 2006 and in that time I feel somewhat spoiled, during that time period you can add the reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue and That Lucky Old Sun to the list above along with Jon's FAQ and David Marks books. I feel bad for all you long term fans who had to put up with years of nothingness but from 2003 onwards being a Beach Boys fan has got better and better!

I was lucky enough to get deeper into the band in the fall of 2003, then almost immediately Brian made his announcement that he was going to perform SMiLE live.  So it's worked out pretty well for me too Smiley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »

I've been a BB fan for nearly 50 years -- this reunion is a blessing!

jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 12:37:45 AM »

I too have enjoyed TBB for 50 years. They have been MY band. We've gone to probably 50 concerts over the years and they have been an integral part of my life. I've been honored to "ride the Wave" with TBB.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 02:11:52 AM »

Im with you fan since 2007 and its great. Nearly every year we get some goody. Except for the Dark Year of 2009. But even that had Summer Love Songs, I think?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

Funny enough, gift means poison in German

Emmm... yes. So? Etymologically, the word is "Gift" because you give it to someone.

But I'm as excited about the reunion as anyone else here. Can't wait for June 1st (album coming out here Grin) and August 3rd (Berlin concert).

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »

A year ago, for many of us, a TV special and a DVD would have made it. And it was embarrassing and nearly impossible to imagine them doing a lengthy tour and new album because of their old voices.

Shame on us! We are being taught a lesson here.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx