gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:03:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zinepak debuts at 86 on Billboard 200!  (Read 3898 times)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »

Who would have thought? The Beach Boys out-sold Lana Del Rey and Lil Wayne this week! All three hundred of us who purchased this really made a difference  Wink

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200#/charts/billboard-200?begin=81&order=position

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »

Very cool.  If a Wal-Mart exclusive was good enough to crack #86, that's encouraging for how the album will fare. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »

That's really impressive

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »

Who would have thought? The Beach Boys out-sold Lana Del Rey and Lil Wayne this week! All three hundred of us who purchased this really made a difference  Wink

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200#/charts/billboard-200?begin=81&order=position

You're the guy who didn't know who Alan Jackson was, right? Well, now we're even, because I have no idea who Lana Del Ray is  LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »

You're the guy who didn't know who Alan Jackson was, right? Well, now we're even, because I have no idea who Lana Del Ray is  LOL

You should be happy about that. You can't unknow it, unfortunately.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »

LOL alright, alright. We're even. She's not very good, by the way.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

You should be happy about that. You can't unknow it, unfortunately.

I ain't complainin'!  LOL
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »

Well THERE's a release I wasn't expecting to chart  LOL

Super weird.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »

Boys, I am confused; this album has only one new song, the new version of DIA, but it charts?  Last night TWGMTR sold 15 k copies, and it's #10 on Amazon before it can comes out? So it will certainly chart.

I remain confused as well about the single; one has to hunt on Billboard to find the chart info; you have to search for the BB and then the song , which tells you that it's on the Japan charts only. Is this the most current info.?

I am anxious, as many of you are, for the 37th top 40 hit; is it going to happen?

Crossing fora, let me say: the itunes samples are beyond all hope for beauty; the show of QVC was a success beyond understanding.. . . .

I simply do not believe any of this is happening. Maybe I have had small dreams or humble ambitions, but I have to say that this event, of which I have no real part beyond fandom, is the most satisfying aesthetic and cultural event I have ever experienced.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »

Boys, I am confused; this album has only one new song, the new version of DIA, but it charts?

Yep. Newly assembled compilations can chart. And apparently everyone on this board buying it was enough.

Last night TWGMTR sold 15 k copies, and it's #10 on Amazon before it can comes out? So it will certainly chart.

Yes. Cool!

I remain confused as well about the single; one has to hunt on Billboard to find the chart info; you have to search for the BB and then the song , which tells you that it's on the Japan charts only. Is this the most current info.? I am anxious, as many of you are, for the 37th top 40 hit; is it going to happen?

Looks like no, I'm afraid. There's usually a two week delay between release of an album/single and a placement on the Billboard chart. More than two weeks have passed, and the single ain't there. But really, with charts dependent on airplay and downloads, I can't imagine a BB tune would place these days ... we heard about a couple of stations picking it up, but I don't think it went into serious rotation anywhere.

Crossing fora, let me say: the itunes samples are beyond all hope for beauty; the show of QVC was a success beyond understanding.. . . . I simply do not believe any of this is happening. Maybe I have had small dreams or humble ambitions, but I have to say that this event, of which I have no real part beyond fandom, is the most satisfying aesthetic and cultural event I have ever experienced.

Now I know you're not Van Dyke, because he wouldn't be this excited.  Grin
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »

Boys, I am confused; this album has only one new song, the new version of DIA, but it charts?

Yep. Newly assembled compilations can chart. And apparently everyone on this board buying it was enough.

Last night TWGMTR sold 15 k copies, and it's #10 on Amazon before it can comes out? So it will certainly chart.

Yes. Cool!

I remain confused as well about the single; one has to hunt on Billboard to find the chart info; you have to search for the BB and then the song , which tells you that it's on the Japan charts only. Is this the most current info.? I am anxious, as many of you are, for the 37th top 40 hit; is it going to happen?

Looks like no, I'm afraid. There's usually a two week delay between release of an album/single and a placement on the Billboard chart. More than two weeks have passed, and the single ain't there. But really, with charts dependent on airplay and downloads, I can't imagine a BB tune would place these days ... we heard about a couple of stations picking it up, but I don't think it went into serious rotation anywhere.

Crossing fora, let me say: the itunes samples are beyond all hope for beauty; the show of QVC was a success beyond understanding.. . . . I simply do not believe any of this is happening. Maybe I have had small dreams or humble ambitions, but I have to say that this event, of which I have no real part beyond fandom, is the most satisfying aesthetic and cultural event I have ever experienced.

Now I know you're not Van Dyke, because he wouldn't be this excited.  Grin

thank you,  whirestone, for your kind and quick reply. I suppose the album itself, once well charted, will bring the BB the type of acceptance and popular sanction that they hoped would occur here. The critical reception so far has been solid, with a few snarky aberrations here and there, which I, and others, has squashed with trenchant, merciless aplomb in the attendant commentaries to those publications.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »

i think TWGMTR will have a pretty good shot at top 10
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »

i think TWGMTR will have a pretty good shot at top 10

Definitely. I'd even say top 5, unless some other high profile stuff is coming out the same week or week before. The number sold on QVC alone is enough to put it in the top 100, probably as high or higher  than the zinepack.

No mas, por favor.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »

We were talking about this on the other thread, the number sold on QVC alone puts them in the top 20.  Looks like they can make it into the top 5 with about 50,000 sales. 
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »

Wow, I didn't see this coming at all!  I would have never expected it to chart...there wasn't much publicity about it, and it was available only at Walmart, and only had one new song.  I think we can expect a very big showing for the album June 5th!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 05:14:07 AM »

That's interesting. How many of these packs were sold ? Sounds promising for the new album. Now what about the single ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »

Starting to sound like The Beach Boys oughta sign with Walmart.

“We live in divisive times.”
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

Has anyone here bought the zinepak? Is it a neat thing, package-wise? Nice to have/hold/all that?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »

Starting to sound like The Beach Boys oughta sign with Walmart.

AC/DC made a killing selling their Black Ice album exclusively at Walmart.
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/acdcs-exclusive-deal-with-wal-mart-was-all-about-the-money/Content?oid=1199725

No mas, por favor.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »

Journey, of all people, did very well with Wal-Mart.  I don't think Boyz II Men did as well with their last album.

I am stunned this ZinePak made it to the top 100.  The Wal-Mart near me didn't even have any copies so I bought it online.  I guess it sold out Wink
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »

y'know what's even better than a partnership with walmart?

an album sold in barnes and noble, best buy, target AND walmart.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 07:41:03 PM »

y'know what's even better than a partnership with walmart?

an album sold in barnes and noble, best buy, target AND walmart.

Not necessarily. Did you read the article about AC/DC and their Wal-Mart exclusive? At first, yes, selling an item in more stores seems like a no-brainer. But look at what Wal-Mart did for AC/DC as part of their deal? They went all out in their advertising campaign, going as far as setting up stores-within-a-store outside men's clothing sections to really push the album. Without that exclusive deal, would they have done that? No. So it was a calculated risk on AC/DC's part, and it appears to have paid off.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »

Garth Brooks did the same thing.  Made a fortune.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »

i'd be a little bummed if the beach boys did that, but if they want the money then who could blame them.  i'd have to step into a walmart though.  I wouldn't mind walmart if they took better care of their stores, they always seem dirty.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »

i'd be a little bummed if the beach boys did that, but if they want the money then who could blame them.  i'd have to step into a walmart though.  I wouldn't mind walmart if they took better care of their stores, they always seem dirty.

True, I wouldn't step foot in a Wal-Mart unless it was an absolute necessity, which the Beach Boys are not. I'd feel dirty even buying from their website. But yeah, if their management decided it'd be financially stupid not to, who could blame them?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx