gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:33:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who played what in the current set list - a breakdown  (Read 2529 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »

I did this for my own amusement, and thought people might be interested: following is a list of all the songs played so far on this tour, and which of the currently touring Beach Boys, to my knowledge, originally played on them, followed by some stats (you might want to skip to the stats):

Do It Again - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Catch A Wave - Mike, Brian, Al, Dave
Hawaii - Mike, Brian, Dave
Don't Back Down - Mike, Brian, Al
It’s Okay - Mike, Brian, Al
Surfin' Safari - Mike, Brian, Dave
Surfer Girl - Mike, Brian, Dave
Please Let Me Wonder - Mike, Brian, Al
You're So Good to Me - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Wendy - Mike, Brian, Al
Then I Kissed Her - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
The Little Girl I Once Knew - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Dance Dance Dance - Mike, Brian, Al
Kiss Me Baby - Mike, Brian, Al
Why Do Fools Fall in Love - Mike, Brian, Al
When I Grow Up - Mike, Brian, Al
Cotton Fields - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Disney Girls - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Marcella - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Don't Worry Baby - Mike, Brian, Al
Little Honda - Mike, Brian, Al
Be True to Your School - Mike, Brian, Al, Dave
Little Deuce Coupe - Mike, Brian, Dave
409 - Mike, Brian, Dave
Shut Down - Mike, Brian, Dave
I Get Around - Mike, Brian, Al

Intermission

Add Some Music - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
California Dreaming - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Sloop John B - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Wouldn't It Be Nice - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Forever - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Sail On Sailor - Mike, Brian, Al
Heroes & Villains - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
In My Room - Mike, Brian, Al, Dave
All This is That - Mike, (Brian), Al
This Whole World - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
God Only Knows - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
That's Why God Made the Radio - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce, Dave
Good Vibrations - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
California Girls - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
All Summer Long - Mike, Brian, Al
Help Me, Rhonda - Mike, Brian, Al,
Rock and Roll Music - Mike, Brian, Al
Do You Wanna Dance - Mike, Brian, Al
Surfin' USA - Mike, Brian, Dave

Encore

Kokomo - Mike, Al, Bruce
Barbara Ann - Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce
Fun Fun Fun - Mike, Brian, Al

They’ve played 49 songs so far, of these:

Mike was a full member for all 49!!  100%

Brian was a full member for 48 songs - all except Kokomo - but he was probably only on 47, since I don’t think Brian was on All this is That. 96%

Al was a full member for 42 of the songs. 86%

Bruce is where it gets fun!  Bruce joined for the Summer Days album, (but wasn’t on Help Me Rhonda), quit for Carl and the Passions, (but was on Marcella.)  I counted Bruce, Brian, Al, and Mike as all singing on all the Pet Sounds songs, although I don’t actually know if that’s the case.  Bruce was on 21 of the 49 songs. 43%  This was a bit lower percentage than I expected.
Dave played on 11 of the 49 songs.  22%

But take an actual setlist, and the statistics change ever so slightly.  At the Westchester County Center the band played 45 songs:

Mike 45 of 45 - 100%
Brian 43 of 45 - 96%
Al 38 of 45 - 84%
Bruce 19 of 45 - 42%
Dave 11 of 45 - 24%  - None of Dave’s songs rotate out of the set, and it's remarkable that Dave originally played on about a quarter of the songs in the current show - just goes to show that the “lost Beach Boy” really had a huge impact.

Finally, songwriting breakdowns - again using the 49 song list:

Do It Again - Mike, Brian
Catch A Wave - Mike, Brian
Hawaii - Mike, Brian
Don't Back Down - Mike, Brian
It’s Okay - Mike, Brian
Surfin' Safari - Mike, Brian
Surfer Girl - Brian
Please Let Me Wonder - Mike, Brian
You're So Good to Me - Mike, Brian
Wendy - Mike, Brian
Then I Kissed Her - Cover
The Little Girl I Once Knew - Brian
Dance Dance Dance - Mike, Brian
Kiss Me Baby - Mike, Brian
Why Do Fools Fall in Love - Cover
When I Grow Up - Mike, Brian
Cotton Fields - Cover
Disney Girls - Bruce
Marcella - Brian
Don't Worry Baby - Brian
Little Honda - Mike, Brian
Be True to Your School - Mike, Brian
Little Deuce Coupe - Brian
409 - Brian
Shut Down - Brian
I Get Around - Mike, Brian

Intermission

Add Some Music - Mike, Brian
California Dreaming - Cover
Sloop John B - Cover
Wouldn't It Be Nice - Brian (not counting Mike’s lawsuit credit here - I counted the rest of them)
Forever - (Dennis)
Sail On Sailor - Brian
Heroes & Villains - Brian
In My Room - Brian
All This is That - Mike, Al
This Whole World - Brian
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times - Brian
God Only Knows - Brian
That's Why God Made the Radio - Brian
Good Vibrations - Mike, Brian
California Girls - Mike, Brian
All Summer Long - Mike, Brian
Help Me, Rhonda - Mike, Brian
Rock and Roll Music - Cover
Do You Wanna Dance - Cover
Surfin' USA - Mike, Brian

Encore

Kokomo - Mike
Barbara Ann - Cover
Fun Fun Fun - Mike, Brian

Covers, 8 of 49 songs, or 16%.

Of the originals:

Bruce - 1 of 41. - . 02%
Al - 1 of 41. - . 02%
Brian - 38 of 41. - 93%
Mike - 24 of 41. - 59%
And one Dennis song. 

No real surprises here, but confirmation that Brian dominates the songwriting, and that the Beach Boys do a surprising number of covers for a band with so many great songwriters.  Finally I was amazed at how unrepresented Al’s songwriting really is - he doesn’t have a single of his own songs in the set except All This is That with Mike. 

Also, I absolutely love this tour and do not mean to come of as ungrateful, but I do think it is a little bit sad that 16 percent of the set list consists of covers, and yet there isn’t a single Carl Wilson composition except, again, All This is That, which is Al’s only songwriting credit in the show too.  Interesting.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »

Very interesting, especially the songwriting part.  I will give this caveat, though:  It's my opinion that the reason many or most of the songwriting credits were Brian's, is because the other 'boys preferred it that way, back in the day.  So in their prime, it seems to me that Carl/Dennis/Al/Bruce didn't really want to write all that much, they'd much rather have Brian do it.  So the numbers may still be lopsided, but for the successful years of their career, Brian wrote almost every song. 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:47:19 AM »

Mike and Al weren't on God Only Knows.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:19 AM »

I think it was impromptu, but they also did about 30 seconds of Come Go With Me at one of the shows...
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »

Bit I'm curious about is, what do the members who weren't around do during the songs they weren't there for?  Does Brian take any part in "All This Is That" or "Kokomo", or does he just tune out?  What kind of part does Dave play on tracks like "Disney Girls" or "Add Some Music"?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »

All This Is That is credited to Love, Jardine and Wilson (I guess Carl)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »

Bit I'm curious about is, what do the members who weren't around do during the songs they weren't there for?  Does Brian take any part in "All This Is That" or "Kokomo", or does he just tune out?  What kind of part does Dave play on tracks like "Disney Girls" or "Add Some Music"?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Brian sings the low Carl part ("Two ways have I") on All This Is That, doubled with Darian. I don't hear him on Kokomo, but he may be in the backing vocals.
David plays guitar on Add Some Music, from the YouTube videos. I haven't seen any videos of Disney Girls, but I know that when Mike, Bruce and David toured the UK in 2008, both Mike and David sat that one out. It looks and sounds, though, like everyone's on everything on this tour, whether or not they performed on it originally, though Brian may zone out on songs where he's not got a prominent part.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »

having seen the show, they all sing backing vocals where there are backing vocals to be sung. for "Disney Girls" David and Al put down their guitars but everyone still sings.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »

Acually, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that no-one in the current band was on Sail On Sailor either -- wasn't that Blondie, Ricky, Carl, Gerry Beckley, Robert Lamm and Billy Hinsche? Though of course Brian wrote it.

That means (assuming that all of them except David were on I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Brian wasn't on All This Is That, and Brian's contribution to Sail On Sailor counts for him) that the revised totals should be:
Mike 47
Brian 47
Al 40
Bruce 19
David 11

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »

Acually, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that no-one in the current band was on Sail On Sailor either -- wasn't that Blondie, Ricky, Carl, Gerry Beckley, Robert Lamm and Billy Hinsche? Though of course Brian wrote it.

I thought there were multiple layers of background harmonies, and Al and Mike are on at least one?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »

I'm nearly positive Brian was not on the studio recording of "California Dreamin'". He says as much in The Warmth of the Sun podcast series. However he was a member of the band still at that time, just like "All This is That", so maybe put him in parenthesis.
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to do this! What I took from it is the significance of David Marks. I put his importance up there with Al Jardine. I dont count Bruce as a true Beach Boy.....
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »

I'm nearly positive Brian was not on the studio recording of "California Dreamin'". He says as much in The Warmth of the Sun podcast series. However he was a member of the band still at that time, just like "All This is That", so maybe put him in parenthesis.

Not sure if we should take BW's word as gospel on this -- especially in the Landy-addled 80s. I actually believe that almost all of the backing harmonies on that are Brian. It's a wall of Wilson, much like "Wipe Out." The reason it doesn't quite sound like him is that it was purposefully recorded at half speed or something and then sped way up. A few years ago, someone did an experiment on the track, slowing it way down, and damned if it doesn't sound like every backing voice on that track is BW.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »

It sounds like Bruce and Al on the backing vocals of C. Dreamin', especially Bruce.  Maybe some Carl thrown in there.  I don't know what that would sound like at half-speed, but at full speed, that's what it sounds like to me. 
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »

A few years ago, someone did an experiment on the track, slowing it way down, and damned if it doesn't sound like every backing voice on that track is BW.
[/quote]

That was me.  I moved it down a whole step, and that sounded like it may have been the speed at which it was recorded...

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:24 AM »

Not sure if we should take BW's word as gospel on this -- especially in the Landy-addled 80s. I actually believe that almost all of the backing harmonies on that are Brian. It's a wall of Wilson, much like "Wipe Out." The reason it doesn't quite sound like him is that it was purposefully recorded at half speed or something and then sped way up. A few years ago, someone did an experiment on the track, slowing it way down, and damned if it doesn't sound like every backing voice on that track is BW.
Huh, wow, I'd be interested in hearing that.  I would have never suspected that.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx