gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:40:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Book on Wild Honey - Surf's Up Era?  (Read 5043 times)
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »

I was wondering which books you all would recommend that document this era of Brian's winding down involvement best. I'm looking for books that give a peak behind the scenes of what the sessions were like at Bellagio and what their aims were in making the albums of this time as it seems to be one the less documented periods of their history.

Things I'm particularly curious about are "Can't Wait Too Long", "Ol' Man River", and other unfinished pieces that seem to hold so much promise and indicate a great deal of work, but I don't actually have much info on.

Thnx

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:51:22 AM »

I can't remember what specific details it goes into, but I would highly recommend Catch A Wave, the Peter Aimes Carlin book. It's the best book I've read on all the different stages of the band's career.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »

How Deep Is The Ocean by Paul Williams and The Nearest Faraway Place by Tim White.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:02:15 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

"Ol' Man River" was shelved when Mike got sick of working on it during a studio session, causing Brian to flee the house and become mentally unbalanced. "Can't Wait Too Long" is a perfect example of Brian's insecurity as a recording artist. He'd work on something over and over, trying to make it "perfect", only to eventually give up in frustration.  That's how you get those kinds of unfinished pieces.

"Can't Wait Too Long" and "Time To Get Alone" were conceived a few months after Smiley Smile and seem to be part of a serious attempt by Brian to resume his old professional life. People make a big deal about how Brian gave "Time To Get Alone" to Redwood, but really, that had always been part of Brian's personality. Remember when he pretty much gave "Surf City" to Jan & Dean (it was based off of Brian's song "Goody Connie Won't You Come Back Home?", and Brian helped with the production)? The only difference was that now Brian had that much higher of a profile.

Soon, though, Brian apparently gave up on such aspirations and retired to the more comfortable confines of his home studio, where he quickly recorded what would be become Wild Honey. While I can't prove it, I think he enjoyed the reduced expectations banging off albums in his home studio created, and the pressures of working in professional studios with famous session musicians intimidated him at this point.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »

One of the best sources for this kind of info from this period imho is the Stephen Desper-pedia.  I dunno where it went, is it still online?  It was full of fascinating stories and info.  Presumably Stephen Desper's book Recording the Beach Boys is an even better source, but I haven't read it, and I don't have any idea how I would go about acquiring a copy. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »

You gotta ask Steve for the book!  Last I heard, he's updating it.  Much of his posts are still on line. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »

Personally i think The Nearest Faraway Place is massively over-rated (he's got almost nothing to say about the Surf's Up and Holland albums, and then he sings the praises of Beach Boys '85, even going so far as to compare it to Sunflower). The Peter Aimes Carlin book however is a great book!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »

Up until the Carlin book came out, The Nearest Faraway Place was the best book on the block. 

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »

This isn't a book, but for God's sake, dig up Jack R's accounts of his time with the group. (I posted a re-edit of his posts at one point, to make for a smoother read---hopefully.)

It's only his point of view, but I found that his writing was very passionate and evocative.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »

You gotta ask Steve for the book!  Last I heard, he's updating it.  Much of his posts are still on line. 

If only he would!  but there's bound to be some reason(s) why he can't update it and get it published
 wish I could find a copy of his book at all. anyone want to copy theirs, page by page and post it in Media?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »

If only he would!  but there's bound to be some reason(s) why he can't update it and get it published
 wish I could find a copy of his book at all. anyone want to copy theirs, page by page and post it in Media?

I don't think SWD would be too thrilled at that - every page carries a copyright notice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »

I don't think SWD would be too thrilled at that - every page carries a copyright notice.

And I think he got a little miffed once in his thread a few years ago when someone posted some quotes from the book without his permission.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »

Up until the Carlin book came out, The Nearest Faraway Place was the best book on the block. 

Statements like these caused me to pick up the book.  Very disappointing.  It's about 300 pages
and Brian isn't even born until page 120 or so.. You get a history of all things California and about
4 generations of Wilson's..  Their music career is highly glossed over.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »

This isn't a book, but for God's sake, dig up Jack R's accounts of his time with the group. (I posted a re-edit of his posts at one point, to make for a smoother read---hopefully.)

It's only his point of view, but I found that his writing was very passionate and evocative.

Any chance you can provide a link or similar? Would love to read Rieley's accounts.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:20 AM »

Any chance you can provide a link or similar? Would love to read Rieley's accounts.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9651.0.html  Cheesy

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 02:30:48 AM »

"Ol' Man River" was shelved when Mike got sick of working on it during a studio session, causing Brian to flee the house and become mentally unbalanced.

I thought all the guys were getting a bit tired of it, with Carl being the one who put his foot down over the matter?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 02:45:10 AM »

"Ol' Man River" was shelved when Mike got sick of working on it during a studio session, causing Brian to flee the house and become mentally unbalanced.

I thought all the guys were getting a bit tired of it, with Carl being the one who put his foot down over the matter?

Mebe Mike, mebe Carl. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10544.0.html#top

p.s. it's for reasons like this that we are long overdue for a beach boys wiki imo.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:23:04 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
MBE
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18:50 AM »

It's one of my main focuses in my book. I will have an update within the next few weeks that I hope will see it come out. Thank you to both Billy and Amanda for all their help recently. They knocked it into good shape.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »

It's one of my main focuses in my book. I will have an update within the next few weeks that I hope will see it come out. Thank you to both Billy and Amanda for all their help recently. They knocked it into good shape.

You're welcome! You guys are seriously going to love this book.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »

And I think he got a little miffed once in his thread a few years ago when someone posted some quotes from the book without his permission.

Which may be one of the reasons he's holding back on announcing an update. Steve was sick for awhile which set him back, and had some issues posting here with his computer, but he seems to be OK now. PM him. Maybe he's got news for you. He's got interesting things to say these days concerning his recording of Manson.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 09:20:20 AM »

Statements like these caused me to pick up the book.  Very disappointing.  It's about 300 pages
and Brian isn't even born until page 120 or so.. You get a history of all things California and about
4 generations of Wilson's..  Their music career is highly glossed over.

Well, I'll tell ya what. We had a vote on another board asking posters what the best Beach Boys book was/is.  The most votes went to Carlin's book (29 votes). White's book, "The Nearest Faraway Place", got the second most votes (28). Third went to AGD's book (27) and Leaf's book got 26 votes. And if you read the posts in the book thread, posters had high regard for both Carlin's and White's books. So...........I don't know what to tell you. I enjoyed White's book very much - I'm from California so maybe I appreciated it a little more. Yes, the beginning of the book is more of a "social history" than directly relating to The Beach Boys, but it gathers steam after about 100 pages. Tim White was a BIG fan.  Suggest reading his 2-part article in the May/June '76 issue of Crawdaddy and also Rolling Stone.

I think there's another Beach boys book thread elsewhere on this board where people weigh in on their favorite books. The "Search" function works great here.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »

I recommended Paul Williams' book earlier in the thread.  He (and David Anderle) had some interesting insights into the Smile/Wild Honey/Smiley Smile era. He incorporated the discussion with Anderle in his book "Outlaw Blues", which I picked up in the late 70's. Then, years later, he copy and pasted that chapter into his book "How Deep Is The Ocean".

You can read excerpts about Brian and the 1967 era here, along with 20/20:

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/writer.html?WriterID=williamsp

http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Blues-Book-Rock-Music/dp/0934558353

Now in paperback...

http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Wilson-The-Beach-Boys/dp/0711961972
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:06:48 AM by Mikie » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9651.0.html  Cheesy

Wow, those Rieley threads really made for fun, interesting reading (in spite of his rather embaressing continuous use of 'kewl' and 'dudez' etc). I've always thought Rieley - whatever his personal alleged faults may or may not have been - was right in almost everything he did for the band, and i agree with a lot of his opinions and thoughts on the band.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »

Let's not forget the Kingsley Abbot compendium "Back to the Beach," which has loads of fascinating behind the scenes accounts. It's my favorite Beach Boys book, well, maybe second after LLVS!

The question as pertains to this thread, though, is does this book treat on the 1967-71 period? I've just done some googling (I'm not at home and won't be for a while so can't just go to the bookshelf) to try to view the contents page, but to no avail. The book definitely deals with the post-Smile years, and I remember lots of great stuff from the Brian's Back era. Not sure about 1967-1971, but I THINK there's stuff on those years.

In any case, I would recommend buying it. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people throw around the "it's a must" phrase all over the place (individuals, after all, each have their own "must" lists, regardless of what other people attempt to dictate on their behalf), so it's really telling to hear me say this: if you're here and reading this post, this book is a must-read.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9651.0.html  Cheesy

Wow, those Rieley threads really made for fun, interesting reading (in spite of his rather embaressing continuous use of 'kewl' and 'dudez' etc). I've always thought Rieley - whatever his personal alleged faults may or may not have been - was right in almost everything he did for the band, and i agree with a lot of his opinions and thoughts on the band.

Yeah, you can see how he charmed and persuaded everybody! I'm nodding my head vigorously at almost everything he said. Get that boy another Pulitzer!

"Remember, we all have the option of liking the art while concluding
that the artist is a schmuck."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:41:03 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx