gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:26:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys LIVE 1-hour concert on QVC tonight.  (Read 68419 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2012, 03:50:25 PM »

All in all, I thought Brian hung in there pretty well throughout the night, but that was a tough ending.

Yes, he did hang in there pretty well for most of the night, that's why I was so caught off guard by the ending.

It's funny - and stressful - watching Brian. Smiley  You're listening to the song, and you know Brian's part is coming up, and you're hoping HE knows it.  And then, after sitting there and having that blank expression on his face, right at the very last moment, he hits his mark. What was making it more stressful last night was that Brian is now phrasing his vocals, which is a good thing. He was waiting a beat or so before he came in, almost like Willie Nelson! And then you could exhale. But, it was cool to hear, because it showed that Brian knew exactly how he wanted to sing the part. That was impressive.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 18, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »

Why are a few people being so negative about Brian participating in the Beach Boys reunion and how he looks, when he looks exactly the same as he does on his solo tours, both in concert and on TV?  He never looks good on television and barely better when you see him live.  

We try to normalize it

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 18, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

I saw something last night that really makes we doubt that boredom, disinterest, or "he's just going through the motions" is the only thing(s) confronting Brian. If anyone present last night disagrees, please, I welcome your thoughts.

When the band came out for the encores, during "Kokomo", the first encore, Brian was totally disengaged. He might've sung one or two notes. He sat there, motionless, just following Mike as he was prancing around the stage, with a disturbing look on his (Brian's) face.

Immediately after "Kokomo", a roadie helped Brian strap on the bass. Brian walked out to the front of the stage, and as the band was repeating that famous riff to the beginning of "Barbara Ann", Brian motions to the audience, and starts to yell, "Well let me hear you say 'Yeah'..." And, just as Brian is yelling this, Mike talks over him (unintentionally), and goes into his "Thanks for coming to see the Beach Boys tonight". Brian looked totally confused, and stepped back from the microphone, looking around. Did he think he was at one of his solo concerts, and he was supposed to lead that part? Seriously. And, when they did go into the "Well let me hear you say yeah" part, Brian didn't join in. He barely sang any parts to "Barbara Ann".

Eventually, they got to the closer, "Fun, Fun, Fun". Brain started out dancing that little two-step shuffle, but quickly stopped. Then he sang a line or two backing, and stopped singing completely. He eventually just stood motionless, with just his thumb plucking the one string on the bass. Then he stopped playing.

Brian ended up just standing there, up front, doing nothing. He was staring upward and the lights were flashing and the music was blaring and the crowd was going nuts. All of a sudden, Brian starts walking to the back. It looked like he was trying to walk off the stage, but Jeff kind of cut him off. I could see Jeff half-smiling and shaking his head and saying, "No, it's not over yet". Brian stopped in his tracks, just staring at Jeff, almost waiting for a command. Keep in mind while all of this is going on, the music's blasting and the place is rocking. Then Brian pulls up his shirt to try to pull up his Adidas pants, which were falling beneath his stomach. It was a sad sight, really.... Brian hung around to line up to wave to the crowd, and then he quickly scurried off.

I will never forget the look on his face as he stood in the front of that stage, motionless, staring into what - the crowd, the lights, space? This was not a look of boredom, of disinterest. It was beyond that. It made me feel very uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. I wanted to just jump up on the stage and take his hand or something. It just made me wonder what was going on in his mind, in his brain. I trust he is OK. I trust his doctors have absolutely cleared him to do this tour. But, God, what demons he must be facing....

Great description of those moments, Sheriff.  I was there and observed all of this as well.  Only other thing that I noticed is that Jeff (it seemed to me) started the "everybody say yeah" thing and Brian kind of jumped in.  I agree that Mike speaking over him was unintentional.  It really felt that Mike, in a semi-scripted moment, heard Jeff speak and was ready to say his thing, and Brian got a few words in the gap, only to be cut off.  Jeff is working hard up there between the music and coaching Brian- pretty impressive. 

All in all, I thought Brian hung in there pretty well throughout the night, but that was a tough ending.

I really felt bad for him during the "everybody say yeah" bit. Whatever mic that was (Dave's?) wasn't loud enough, you could just barely hear him say it.
I would be tempted to say it was an "off night" for him but his vocals were so great.
Did you catch during "Fun Fun Fun", Al came over to Brian and said something - and they both chuckled. That was nice.
Brian had his stone-face for most of the night, but there was one song (I'm blanking as to which one it was) that had a horn or flute solo and Brian kept pointing everytime it would come in. What song was that?

I was hoping by everyone cheering for Brian when Mike said his name early in the show, that he would sorta snap out of it. Besides his perfunctory thank you, he didn't.
Hopefully he'll be a bit more animated when I see him in Camden in June.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 18, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »

I saw something last night that really makes we doubt that boredom, disinterest, or "he's just going through the motions" is the only thing(s) confronting Brian. If anyone present last night disagrees, please, I welcome your thoughts.

When the band came out for the encores, during "Kokomo", the first encore, Brian was totally disengaged. He might've sung one or two notes. He sat there, motionless, just following Mike as he was prancing around the stage, with a disturbing look on his (Brian's) face.

Immediately after "Kokomo", a roadie helped Brian strap on the bass. Brian walked out to the front of the stage, and as the band was repeating that famous riff to the beginning of "Barbara Ann", Brian motions to the audience, and starts to yell, "Well let me hear you say 'Yeah'..." And, just as Brian is yelling this, Mike talks over him (unintentionally), and goes into his "Thanks for coming to see the Beach Boys tonight". Brian looked totally confused, and stepped back from the microphone, looking around. Did he think he was at one of his solo concerts, and he was supposed to lead that part? Seriously. And, when they did go into the "Well let me hear you say yeah" part, Brian didn't join in. He barely sang any parts to "Barbara Ann".

Eventually, they got to the closer, "Fun, Fun, Fun". Brain started out dancing that little two-step shuffle, but quickly stopped. Then he sang a line or two backing, and stopped singing completely. He eventually just stood motionless, with just his thumb plucking the one string on the bass. Then he stopped playing.

Brian ended up just standing there, up front, doing nothing. He was staring upward and the lights were flashing and the music was blaring and the crowd was going nuts. All of a sudden, Brian starts walking to the back. It looked like he was trying to walk off the stage, but Jeff kind of cut him off. I could see Jeff half-smiling and shaking his head and saying, "No, it's not over yet". Brian stopped in his tracks, just staring at Jeff, almost waiting for a command. Keep in mind while all of this is going on, the music's blasting and the place is rocking. Then Brian pulls up his shirt to try to pull up his Adidas pants, which were falling beneath his stomach. It was a sad sight, really.... Brian hung around to line up to wave to the crowd, and then he quickly scurried off.

I will never forget the look on his face as he stood in the front of that stage, motionless, staring into what - the crowd, the lights, space? This was not a look of boredom, of disinterest. It was beyond that. It made me feel very uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. I wanted to just jump up on the stage and take his hand or something. It just made me wonder what was going on in his mind, in his brain. I trust he is OK. I trust his doctors have absolutely cleared him to do this tour. But, God, what demons he must be facing....

Great description of those moments, Sheriff.  I was there and observed all of this as well.  Only other thing that I noticed is that Jeff (it seemed to me) started the "everybody say yeah" thing and Brian kind of jumped in.  I agree that Mike speaking over him was unintentional.  It really felt that Mike, in a semi-scripted moment, heard Jeff speak and was ready to say his thing, and Brian got a few words in the gap, only to be cut off.  Jeff is working hard up there between the music and coaching Brian- pretty impressive. 

I really felt bad for him during the "everybody say yeah" bit. Whatever mic that was (Dave's?) wasn't loud enough, you could just barely hear him say it.
I would be tempted to say it was an "off night" for him but his vocals were so great.
Did you catch during "Fun Fun Fun", Al came over to Brian and said something - and they both chuckled. That was nice.
Brian had his stone-face for most of the night, but there was one song (I'm blanking as to which one it was) that had a horn or flute solo and Brian kept pointing everytime it would come in. What song was that?

I was hoping by everyone cheering for Brian when Mike said his name early in the show, that he would sorta snap out of it. Besides his perfunctory thank you, he didn't.
Hopefully he'll be a bit more animated when I see him in Camden in June.

That is a good description; behavior-wise he was off, but he did sing well.

Yes, I think Al sensed Brian was in trouble.

Was the song "All This Is That"? Or "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"? I remember the moment you're referring to, but I'm also drawing a blank. Brian did well on "All This Is That". That wasn't an easy song to keep up with but Brian did.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »

Might have been All This Is That. I don't think it was IJWMFFT. Anyone else?

Funnily enough, it seems that every other concert has a full, in order, set list - except this one! If they really did 46 songs, that's the most they've ever done so far this tour...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 18, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »

It's funny - and stressful - watching Brian. Smiley  You're listening to the song, and you know Brian's part is coming up, and you're hoping HE knows it.  And then, after sitting there and having that blank expression on his face, right at the very last moment, he hits his mark. What was making it more stressful last night was that Brian is now phrasing his vocals, which is a good thing. He was waiting a beat or so before he came in, almost like Willie Nelson! And then you could exhale. But, it was cool to hear, because it showed that Brian knew exactly how he wanted to sing the part. That was impressive.

I also find myself kind of holding my breath when Brian's part is coming up, especially on live TV, wondering is he going to sing at the right time, is he going to hit the notes?  Is he going to do/say something that will turn off casual fans from writing off the group or buying the CD?  Clearly, I'm too codependent...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 18, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

I also find myself kind of holding my breath when Brian's part is coming up, especially on live TV, wondering is he going to sing at the right time, is he going to hit the notes?  Is he going to do/say something that will turn off casual fans from writing off the group or buying the CD?  Clearly, I'm too codependent...

I hear ya. I do the exact same things. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 18, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »

He's an ill man.  He'll always be an ill man, and he's been an ill man for many many years.  Some of these things can't be corrected, only managed...

BTW, the behavior you describe isn't too much different from 70 year old men I know.  They're not all like that, but some of them zone out for a while.  I know a couple pretty excentric gentlemen, and I could tell you stories that would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck... Brian's more excentric than any of them. 

I think when we don't really KNOW Brian, (we just think we do because we love him from afar), we get worried about things we have no business worrying about.  Hell he may have done it on purpose for all we know. 

You've just got to trust the people that know him.

1.  Does his wife love him and want the best for him?  I think definately, without a doubt.
2. Does the band love him, and want the best for him?  I know some would argue, bit I think they have a 50 year history of showing that they do... and that includes Mike Love.
3.  Does his backup band on stage with him love him and want the best for him?  I think definately, unequivocally. 

So you have to realize that he's on stage with an entire cast of his friends, he has more people that love him STANDING ON STAGE than I do in my entire world. 

Don't worry about Brian, he's in good hands. 
oldsurferdude
« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »

He's an ill man.  He'll always be an ill man, and he's been an ill man for many many years.  Some of these things can't be corrected, only managed...

BTW, the behavior you describe isn't too much different from 70 year old men I know.  They're not all like that, but some of them zone out for a while.  I know a couple pretty excentric gentlemen, and I could tell you stories that would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck... Brian's more excentric than any of them. 

I think when we don't really KNOW Brian, (we just think we do because we love him from afar), we get worried about things we have no business worrying about.  Hell he may have done it on purpose for all we know. 

You've just got to trust the people that know him.

1.  Does his wife love him and want the best for him?  I think definately, without a doubt.
2. Does the band love him, and want the best for him?  I know some would argue, bit I think they have a 50 year history of showing that they do... and that includes Mike Love.
3.  Does his backup band on stage with him love him and want the best for him?  I think definately, unequivocally. 

So you have to realize that he's on stage with an entire cast of his friends, he has more people that love him STANDING ON STAGE than I do in my entire world. 

Don't worry about Brian, he's in good hands. 
And that includes Myke Luhv? Really! What incredible insight you have, Ronald. Funny how history repeats itself. Most fans will be more at ease after reading this most comforting tidbit. Roll Eyes
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »

OSD is it safe to assume that you've never had a disagreement with a family member or an argument with a family member? Are there any arguments/disagreements with family members from 40+ years ago that you still obsess over and hate that(those) family member(s) due to?

If not....... please get over whatever merda happened with The Beach Boys almost 50 years ago and try to enjoy that they are back together.

Myke has your ass beat and he's gonna take it to the finish line..... Deal with it or find another band to be a "fan" of.

OR go get a canned ham from your local supermarket, dress it up in the worst Hawaiian shirt you can find, and run it over with your car (or your hover-round)! Oh, and please leave that signed Surf's Up poster for me in your will ;P
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:43:14 PM by Erik H » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 20, 2012, 02:04:29 AM »

Yes, he did hang in there pretty well for most of the night, that's why I was so caught off guard by the ending.

It's funny - and stressful - watching Brian. Smiley  You're listening to the song, and you know Brian's part is coming up, and you're hoping HE knows it.  And then, after sitting there and having that blank expression on his face, right at the very last moment, he hits his mark.

I've always thought watching Brian was like watching Evel Knievel. Chr!st you wanted him to make that jump but there was always the chance...... Shocked
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »

And that includes Myke Luhv? Really! What incredible insight you have, Ronald. Funny how history repeats itself. Most fans will be more at ease after reading this most comforting tidbit. Roll Eyes

Awwwww, is old sufer erectile disfunction dude upset at Mikey Wikey again?  Don't worry the nurses will be around with your cranberry juice at 5, but you're going to have to log off AOL for the afternoon.... it's sponge bath day!!! 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »

OSD is it safe to assume that you've never had a disagreement with a family member or an argument with a family member? Are there any arguments/disagreements with family members from 40+ years ago that you still obsess over and hate that(those) family member(s) due to?

If not....... please get over whatever merda happened with The Beach Boys almost 50 years ago and try to enjoy that they are back together.

Myke has your ass beat and he's gonna take it to the finish line..... Deal with it or find another band to be a "fan" of.

OR go get a canned ham from your local supermarket, dress it up in the worst Hawaiian shirt you can find, and run it over with your car (or your hover-round)! Oh, and please leave that signed Surf's Up poster for me in your will ;P

Old Surfer Dick doesn't have a car anymore, they had the "We're taking your keys, dad" convo with him about 20 years ago.  I'd probably be an asshole too if I didn't have my mobility anymore, I might start making fun of other senior citizens who were better than me at everything including walking, singing, and being alive. 
oldsurferdude
« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »

I'm liking the canned ham idea-maybe you could suggest whether a baseball hat or sequined turban would be appropriate for the ham. Oh, and by the way, you're in the will-poster's yours. Wink
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

I'd probably be an asshole too if I didn't have my mobility anymore.
I don't believe that you would ever be an asshole, Ron.

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »

How cute, I have two of my haters in the same thread causing nonsense.  Do you guys have a bat signal or something to summon each other?

BTW, Old Surfer Loser, you haven't emailed me lately, what's up with that?

For those who haven't had the pleasure, he likes emailing people with semi homo-erotic comments like "How old are you" and "What color is your hair" and things like that, I suppose he either wants to set up a time to fight or f***. 
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »

I'm liking the canned ham idea-maybe you could suggest whether a baseball hat or sequined turban would be appropriate for the ham.

Ahahaha  LOL
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

How cute, I have two of my haters in the same thread causing nonsense.  Do you guys have a bat signal or something to summon each other?
I'm not a hater. I love you, Ron. Not in a gay way, unless you want it to be...

- B00ts
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »

I'm liking the canned ham idea-maybe you could suggest whether a baseball hat or sequined turban would be appropriate for the ham. Oh, and by the way, you're in the will-poster's yours. Wink
Can I have the Mike Love picture from your dartboard? Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »

Can I have the Mike Love picture from your dartboard? Cool
You're now looking at my Myke Luhv dart board, however if you want to see a full monte ML dartboard go over to "F*ck You Mike Love.com and see what the real deal is. This is also required reading for Ronnie boy as well. Razz
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:45:31 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx