gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:27:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys LIVE 1-hour concert on QVC tonight.  (Read 69315 times)
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »

A very entertaining hour. I thought the hostess was great. She was very upbeat and for the most part had her facts straight. It's not easy talking with the Beach Boys. Other than Mike, they're not the best at handling spur of the moment questions and thinking on their feet.

I thought Brian was better than I expected. His opening vocal/verse on "God Only Knows" sent shivers down my spine.

I like the chemistry between the five Beach Boys and I sense that the band is working well together, too.

A quick question....On "Little Honda", I heard one of those sliding, Dick Dale-like riffs. Was that a guitar or bass? Who was playing that? It was great.

Think that Totten did that Dick Dale type thing. Sounded cool huh?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

You guys are really incredible. What did you expect her to do? They were there to sell, not a personal concert just for you. I thought she talked them up great. She interviewed all of the guys. She gave Brian his space and didn't push him to say too much. Short of Fred Vail, she did great. The guys sang beautiful. This year has to be their best on TV since the 60's.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »

I recorded it, I have it uploading to YouTube as we speak.

What's your account page?

Well, my normal account is beachboysvidz, but unfortunately I have to upload this one on my other one WDWparkvids    (I'm a Disney geek, whatever)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

Brian is the man for being honest about the QVC event.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »

Watching now on DVR, this is actually making me really happy.

-Brian sounded great on God Only Knows
-When David Marks said "Brian was like my football coach" and Brian smiled wide, that was so great.
-Host is annoying, but whatever.
-Brian saying "it was a creative explosion" and the band cracking up was great.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »

Best moments were David's thoughtful thanks to the fans, and "I'm not going to use a pun" and Mike saying Katy Perry can't spell  LOL

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »

I just about burst out laughing when Brian was looking into space during WIBN and then snapped into a big grin when he noticed the camera was on him.  LOL

The performances were great, everyone sounded on-point and the song choice was satisfying. Mike was too low on a couple of numbers (mainly Little Honda and Surfin' Safari) and it would've been nice to at least have two songs back to back without that lady jumping in, but it's understandable since they're all there to sell copies. Brian blew me away on God Only Knows, to many in the crowd it was just a "ballad" but I'm sure we can all recognize the importance of that particular performance. It was also pretty funny when the woman said she'd stand next to Mike and he's all "OH, absolutely." All in all I thought it was great. I'll never pass up an opportunity to see the Boys play in HD and the mini-interviews were actually pretty entertaining, especially hearing David speak.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »

I recorded it, I have it uploading to YouTube as we speak.

What's your account page?

Well, my normal account is beachboysvidz, but unfortunately I have to upload this one on my other one WDWparkvids    (I'm a Disney geek, whatever)

(Disneyland nerd here)
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »

spin move mike? really?  LOL LOL LOL LOL

LOL LOL LOL

I give a lot of credit to Dr. Love for spinning around at his age on live television like that. Most people at age 70 don't have the equilibrium they used to, and there's nothing more embarrassing than losing your balance and falling on your ass in front of all those people. He took a gamble with that one!  LOL
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2012, 05:53:31 PM »

Dave's the Man! I think he's enjoying this reunion just like us fans.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »

The mix on California Girls is kind of rough.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »

I sure hope he is, I've really grown to love that guy through all of this.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »

QVC is what is is. What were people expecting? Beach Boy fans will buy the new album. With QVC they were able to reach an audience that might not have bought the album otherwise.  

I thought the show was great! When the camera panned the group Brian put on a smile. Great to see ANY concert/show with the Beach Boys on TV. David gets some air time along with the rest on the group. Just fantastic.

50! Rock!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

A very entertaining hour. I thought the hostess was great. She was very upbeat and for the most part had her facts straight. It's not easy talking with the Beach Boys. Other than Mike, they're not the best at handling spur of the moment questions and thinking on their feet.

I thought Brian was better than I expected. His opening vocal/verse on "God Only Knows" sent shivers down my spine.

I like the chemistry between the five Beach Boys and I sense that the band is working well together, too.

A quick question....On "Little Honda", I heard one of those sliding, Dick Dale-like riffs. Was that a guitar or bass? Who was playing that? It was great.

Think that Totten did that Dick Dale type thing. Sounded cool huh?

That's a new one for those who've not followed Mike and Bruce's live outfit these past years. They've been doing it for a while now. Gotta love Totten.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »

what an awesome show! The host was perfect and clearly is a fan. So funny how there are negative comments on here. It's really bizarre. She was nice and complimented them so many times. Her little perverted woody joke was so embarassing/funny. I loved Little Honda, Dance, Dance Dance and Catch A Wave! It's so rare to see those types of songs outside of the concerts. Brian smiled a lot! Mike is just amazing. I think they should've thrown in a Help Me Rhonda instead of God Only Knows or something. David Marks is so cool!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »

Nice, stripped down performance with some great moments in there and some unintentional comedy genius moments. The Family/Friends reference was hilariously awkward! Bruce crediting Mike for songwriting...Bruce give it up he's not really your boss right now. Stop sucking up! What did Mike honestly teach you??
The lead vocals were too low throughout. I think they stuck to songs on that Bonus CD but I wish Brian and Al had another lead each and not as much Mike. His voice cracked on Dance Dance Dance a few times.  The hostess deserves a thread herself. Mike was doing a good job being the front man/spokesperson even though he is hoarse sometimes.  But overall I liked the tempo and energy. Brian had some great smiles, Dave is so classy. Mike's spin move was cool.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »

So... Who here actually bought a copy from QVC?

No mas, por favor.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »

I sure hope he is, I've really grown to love that guy through all of this.

Honestly, it's been my favorite part of things for whatever reason.  Just seems like the guy should've been there all along and it's cool that he's getting this moment.  I recently bought his autobio as I slept on it before.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »

I'm so tempted just to have the stupid bonus disc package as a collector's item.  Pathetic, pathetic.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F09851.cm_scid.PROM

Video is up, in really, really, really, REALLY shitty quality on their website.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »

I'm so tempted just to have the stupid bonus disc package as a collector's item.  Pathetic, pathetic.

Yeah, my thinking exactly. RESIST!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »

Mike's spin move is gangster.  Only Mike could pull that off.   He actually didn't pull it off but he's such a bad ass everybody's afraid to say anything to him. 
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »

Mike's spin move is gangster.  Only Mike could pull that off.   He actually didn't pull it off but he's such a bad ass everybody's afraid to say anything to him. 

Lol, Mike was pretty damned good tonight. His rapport with the motormouth saleswoman was spot on. Especially his reference to "Caroline, No," when he said, "She didn't change for the better like you did." That was pretty quick thinking, and pretty smooth.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »

Mike's shtick works excellent with the crowd he's working with.  To us we've heard all the stories and jokes a million times, but to the people watching QVC, they probably thought he was awesome.  None of the other guys could pull that off as well as he does, it's cool to watch him in his element. 

I feel like he's molesting me though when he grins into the camera, and points at me, then winks and licks his lips a little bit, then makes a coke bottle shape. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »

BTW, they're selling a sh*tload of albums on this show.  If these all count as 1st week sales, this motherf*cker might debut at #1.  

Edit:

Here's this weeks album sales....

1. Carrie Underwood – Blown Away 120k
2. Adele – 21 101k
3. Lionel Richie’s – Tuskegee 71k
4. Now 42 65k
5. Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts 60k
6. Silversun Pickups – Neck of the Woods 41k
7. One Direction – Up All Night 40k
8. Jack White – Blunderbuss 34k
9. Tank – This Is How I Feel 33k
10. Luke Bryan – Tailgates & Tanlines 26k

I think this album can easily make the top 10 when it's released, it'll be interesting to see where it ends up. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:13:41 PM by Ron » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx