gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 11:02:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very unique Brian Wilson "Barbara Ann" performance.  (Read 9942 times)
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »

Where and when the hell was this performed at?!!? Calling Van Dyke Parks a "butthole" hahaha wtf. Brian is either over medicated, drunk or both because Jesus he sounds bad. This isn't even like Love You or 15BO bad(btw I love his late 70s vocals) but this is hard to listen to kind of bad. Very interesting piece of audio, does anyone have any information on it? I'd sure like to hear him try and do Surf's Up that day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgAMHVL9hBQ
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:22:27 PM by Melt Away » Logged

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »

I first read about it in an issue of Uncut. A year or two later the audio appeared.  Barbara Bach's birthday party.
It's unfortunate, yet strangely entertaining.

Who is the raspy voiced guy on this track? "Forget dem words, freak?" I've always wanted to know this.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »

I think it was recorded in 1995.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »

You can tell how innately talented a musician is by their ability to sound awesome when they're performing drunk.

No mas, por favor.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »

Wow...I think this is awesome!  Pure rock 'n' roll.  Love how Ringo tries to give him the hook in the middle and it just keeps going.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »

that was terribly entertaining somehow.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

so bad it's awesome.

yeah who is the raspy-voiced dude? he seems like the biggest butthole in the world.
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »

It was Barbara Bach's 50th in 1997.  You can hear Ringo around 3:30 "thanks to Brian for coming over tonight". Funny, you wouldn't think that BW would be drinking! But it sure made for something interesting..
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »

It was Barbara Bach's 50th in 1997.  You can hear Ringo around 3:30 "thanks to Brian for coming over tonight". Funny, you wouldn't think that BW would be drinking! But it sure made for something interesting..

When I first heard it, my guess was post Landy, but pre Melinda days. Not too far off, but I assumed Melinda helped Brian stay 'clean'.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »

so bad it's awesome.

yeah who is the raspy-voiced dude? he seems like the biggest butthole in the world.

Sounds like Wolfman Jack.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »

so bad it's awesome.

Sounds like Wolfman Jack.

Nah, not raspy enough and in too low a register to be the Wolfman.  Plus, Wolfman Jack passed a couple of years before this recording if it was made in August 1997.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:59:48 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »

He goes on to say, "as you can tell we all remember this one..."

Classic Ringo. Master of the understatement  LOL

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »

Man, you guys never heard this before?   Regurgitating old stuff again.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »

When I first heard the guy with the raspy voice, my first gut reaction was Mark Hudson. I could be way off though. I've always been curios about Brian's comment about Van Dyke Parks. Did they have a falling out or something around that time? Or was it just a "random Brian moment"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 05:14:33 AM »

Always thought it was older than mid-90s and from a birthday party of Ringo's...
MBE
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »

Steven Tyler is the raspy voiced guy.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

From what I've heard, Van Dyke Parks was THERE at the party; Brian might have been just joking around...

Multiple sources say it's from 1995. Brian and Melinda got married on February 6, 1995. Barbara Bach's birthday is in August, so it's definitely AFTER Melinda came into the picture. And...I don't think Brian was ever an alcoholic -- at most, he'd booze it up as a last resort if he couldn't get cocaine, heroin, etc.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »

Sounds like a bad combination of medication and alcohol

SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »

He sounds wasted.   Beer

Perhaps this is the victimization via buffoonery which VDP speaks of? 

Or perhaps what Brian was actually saying was that VDP has the biggest butthole in the world, and if he does, maybe it's because it was victimized by Brian's massive buffoonery late one acid fueled night at the Laurel Way house....maybe even in the sand box!   Shocked 
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »

I thought it was October 9, 1990.
It is a Ringo Starr's party and Brian is portrayed with a drink in all photos. Landy is there too.

http://www.gettyimages.es/detail/fotograf%C3%ADa-de-noticias/brian-wilson-ringo-starr-and-john-densmore-fotograf%C3%ADa-de-noticias/86156307

MBE
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »

It is a Ringo Starr's party and Brian is portrayed with a drink in all photos. Landy is there too.

http://www.gettyimages.es/detail/fotograf%C3%ADa-de-noticias/brian-wilson-ringo-starr-and-john-densmore-fotograf%C3%ADa-de-noticias/86156307
Didn't know they were together in 1990. Maybe that's why Brian is so slurred although the fiftieth birthday Barbara birthday party is what I have been told before.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »

Celebrating John's birthday?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »

john who?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »

He asked that because Ringo was born in July.  John Lennon was born in October.  So if it was 1990 and it was October-it was a bit late for Ringo's Birthday. Though perhaps-Ringo had a party just because he wanted to!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »

He sounds wasted.   Beer

Perhaps this is the victimization via buffoonery which VDP speaks of? 

Or perhaps what Brian was actually saying was that VDP has the biggest butthole in the world, and if he does, maybe it's because it was victimized by Brian's massive buffoonery late one acid fueled night at the Laurel Way house....maybe even in the sand box!   Shocked 
My god... Why did you put this image in my brain?!

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx