gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:30:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amazon (and iTunes!!!) samples are up  (Read 27044 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »

The samples sound a *LOT* better than anything we've heard before. Can't judge the songs from these snippets, but it definitely sounds like the tracks that had been made public were among the worst ones. I've gone from thinking this sounded like an utter embarrassment to thinking it'll be the best they've done since LA. Whether that means it'll actually be any good or not, I won't be able to tell until I hear the full songs, but just from the *sound* of the tracks, it's a lot closer to a more MORish That Lucky Old Sun or a more interesting Postcard From California than it is to the Imagination-ish/SIP sound suggested by Spring Vacation. The remixed That's Why God Made The Radio is a much nicer sound than the single mix, though I still don't think much of the song as a song.

The ones that jump out for me as being interesting are Isn't It Time, The Private Life Of Bill And Sue and Summer's Gone, all of which sound like they have real potential to be genuinely great. But it sounds like only Spring Vacation and maybe Beaches In Mind will be actively bad. I'm not all that keen on the retro-50s-nostalgia feel that seems to be all over the tracks, but that might not be a problem when we hear the full songs -- and I'd rather have them trying to imitate the music of their youth than desperately trying to sound like Katy Perry or whoever the young persons of the day are listening to now.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »

Just noticed this -

The beginning of the sample of Summer's Gone reminds me of Stay Awake from the Disney album.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »

Just noticed this -

The beginning of the sample of Summer's Gone reminds me of Stay Awake from the Disney album.

I was thinking of it as a latter day 'Caroline No', but your observation is spot-on

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »

Wow, that must have been taken from The Record Room. That was quick.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:09 AM »

Not necessarily -- David Beard did a post on Examiner doing a track-by-track breakdown that included the writing credits.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:40 AM »

....Must.....not......listen.........to...clips.....must....wait...for actual......album....
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »

"Isn't It Time" - sounds a little bit like "You're Still A Mystery" and has the "dancin' the night away" line. Does anyone think this track might be a reworking of a couple of those mid-90s tracks?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »

I think I'm gonna like that album.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »

Wow. Sorta iffy in the middle but this is going to be one amazing album!

I really dig "Think About The Days", "Isn't It Time" (YEAH AL!), "Spring Vacation" I don't know why but I actually like this one, "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" The quirky BW instrumentation in the beginning is awesome, "Shelter" would be better if one of the real BB's did Foskett's part, "Pacific Coast Highway" Brian's voice makes this for me and "Summer's Gone" made me shut my eyes and it took me somewhere else for 29 seconds, only the the BB's.

The title track of course is good too but that's been covered elsewhere although it does sound like a new mix. "Daybreak Over The Ocean"(hard to tell if Mike's going for the psychedelic vibe or the clocktails in paradise vibe), "Beaches In Mind"(good beginning, lame chorus), "Strange World" (meh) and "From There To Back Again" aren't unlistenable to me but I don't feel like they are as strong as the others. But we'll only really know until we hear the full tracks because a Dave guitar solo or BW falsetto we didn't hear in these clips could easily elevate any one of these tracks.

I can't wait to get my best pair of studio headphones and the biggest joint I can roll for this record. Long overdue but soon will be time for the BB fanatics to receive the album they deserve. I'd love to see another record if they can do it. I know they have the material, it's just the whole age and time thing. Anyway, sounds like a great album. I hope this gets some national airplay even though I hate popular radio.

Daybreak is kinda like the (Love)child of Bluebirds Over The Mountain and the verses of Kokomo, it's really nice and chilled if somewhat unspectacular. As far as Mike songs go it's right up there with his best i'd say.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 10:00:08 AM »

Overall, it sounds like it will be a nice listen.  Some stray observations:

"Strange World" sounds like it could be a potential next single, no?

The snippet of "From There to Back Again" reminds me a little bit of Elvis Costello's "New Lace Sleeves."

"Spring Vacation" is quite bland and those lyrics have Mike Love written all over them, and I don't mean that in a good way.

"Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone" sound very much like they could have been on That Lucky Old Sun.

The chorus of "Shelter" reminds me of the verses of "Darlin.'"

"Beaches in Mind" sounds like it could have been a CSN Daylight Again cut.  Which I mean in a good way.

"Daybreak over the Ocean" sounds very Kokomo-esque, I don't know if that's good or bad yet, I'll have to wait to hear the whole thing.  But Mike's vocal sounds great on it.

The other snippets I don't have much to say about yet but I do really like "Think About the Days" and "Isn't it Time" so far.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »

I'm kinda hooked on "Isn't it time". That really sounds promising to me

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »

I'm liking what I'm hearing in these snippets. Looks like my expectations might be surpassed after all. The production still sounds like Joe Thomas, but it doesn't seem like the album is going to suffer from it too much. It's pleasant.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

I'll appreciate this one for what it is, but I hope we get one more ...

Recorded on 4-track 1/2" tape w/ Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, anyone from the wrecking crew still playing ...

Produced by ONLY BW, for better or worse, anything he says goes, engineered by Mark Linett through his UA board ...

Mixed to mono, no computers ... the guys have to record their vocals together around the same mic (ok, fine, Mike can have a separate mic, an RCA ribbon of course)

Now that's a 'rock & roll' album !

(A man can dream, can't he?)

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »

My thoughts on each track snippet (excluding TWGMTR as i've already said elsewhere how much I like it)

Think About The Days - What an opener! Bruce's super high falsetto parts are soaringly beautiful, as are Brian's falsetto parts. Majestic and refined beauty.

Isn't It Time - Reminds of their best 80's work, great bass vocals from Mike and Al sounds on top form. I like the clunky mechanical feel of the backing track too.

Spring Vacation - Far exceeded my expectations. I had it earmarked as a possible weak point but it's light sunshine pop that sounds like it could get some radio play over the summer with the right push. The autotune on this one is obviously a stylistic choice but I can live with that.

The Private Life of Bill and Sue - The snippet of this one has me disappointed as I was excited about the title and subject matter. I don't mind Brian and the BB's when they go tropical but the title doesn't seem to fit the music here. Also that chorus melody seems overly familiar and i've only had a brief listen to it twice!  Roll Eyes

Shelter - Another one that's got me a little disappointed. When I read the title I had imagined a MAD type ballad with sombre B-Dub vocals but it seems to be a fairly upbeat song with Jeff taking the lead in the chorus. If you're going to have Jeff sing lead on a Beach Boys album make him a bloody Beach Boy already! He's put enough time in over the years!  Wink

Daybreak - Sounds much the same as the Mike Love solo version to my ears but that's entirely fine with me as i've always liked it. This will sit nicely in the middle of the album I think.

Beaches In Mind - This one's got me wanting to hear more, it sounds like it's going for the sunshine pop sound and coming much closer to success than the previous attempts at that on the album. Sounds like it has a really cool backing track too from what I could make out.

Strange World - Another one that's got me wanting to hear more. Great B-Dub vocal and the track itself seems to be a nod to 1965 without sounding overly retro.

From There To Back Again - Wow! Lush harmonies, a great ACJ lead and probably the most BB-sounding track so far.

Pacific Coast Highway - This sounds like it wouldn't be out of place on TLOS. Very nice and just as it cuts off at the end it sounds like it may head off into a different direction. Can't wait to hear this one in full.

Summer's Gone - Reminds me of Stay Awake from In The Key Of Disney. Lovely bassline and a fragile lead from Brian that sounds really sweet. I'm scratching my head as to what JBJ contributed to this one?  LOL

I can't give a proper review of the album just yet but going by the clips it's most definitely a solid effort with only a couple of tracks that disappoint my ears.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:13:01 AM by Craig Boyd » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »

Not necessarily -- David Beard did a post on Examiner doing a track-by-track breakdown that included the writing credits.

This?:
http://www.examiner.com/article/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio

It doesn't have writing credits for each song.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »

It's only a first time listen from 30 seconds samples so my opinion my change down the line, but first impressions are,
The opener sounds terrific,
TWGMTR gets better with each listen,
The last two tracks sound pretty good.

The rest sounds like the result of a drunken one night stand between Imagination and Summer In Paradise, which Jimmy Buffett walked in on midway and decided to make it a threesome.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »

well, really, the only negative I have to say at this pont (I mean, after all with rare exception we just have snippets and so far I like the snippets)...Daybreak--couldn't they have replaced Adrian Baker's vocals?  I like that C. Love is on the album, would have been a great spot to add M. Jardine as well.   I just can't stand Adrian Baker's vocals. Ok, that's it...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:56:57 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »

Who is singing From There To Back Again? I assume it's Al but it really doesn't sound like him to me, I've not heard his voice in recent decades.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »

Who is singing From There To Back Again? I assume it's Al but it really doesn't sound like him to me, I've not heard his voice in recent decades.

Sure is Alan! Great lead vocal by the sound of it.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »

Yeah it does sound good indeed, just wasn't 100% sure. I hope he is prominent on the other tracks, couldn't hear him on the clips other than TWGMTR

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »

My thoughts on each track snippet (excluding TWGMTR as i've already said elsewhere how much I like it)

Think About The Days - What an opener! Bruce's super high falsetto parts are soaringly beautiful, as are Brian's falsetto parts. Majestic and refined beauty.

Isn't It Time - Reminds of their best 80's work, great bass vocals from Mike and Al sounds on top form. I like the clunky mechanical feel of the backing track too.

Spring Vacation - Far exceeded my expectations. I had it earmarked as a possible weak point but it's light sunshine pop that sounds like it could get some radio play over the summer with the right push. The autotune on this one is obviously a stylistic choice but I can live with that.

The Private Life of Bill and Sue - The snippet of this one has me disappointed as I was excited about the title and subject matter. I don't mind Brian and the BB's when they go tropical but the title doesn't seem to fit the music here. Also that chorus melody seems overly familiar and i've only had a brief listen to it twice!  Roll Eyes

Shelter - Another one that's got me a little disappointed. When I read the title I had imagined a MAD type ballad with sombre B-Dub vocals but it seems to be a fairly upbeat song with Jeff taking the lead in the chorus. If you're going to have Jeff sing lead on a Beach Boys album make him a bloody Beach Boy already! He's put in enough time in over the years!  Wink

Daybreak - Sounds much the same as the Mike Love solo version to my ears but that's entirely fine with me as i've always liked it. This will sit nicely in the middle of the album I think.

Beaches In Mind - This one's got me wanting to hear more, it sounds like it's going for the sunshine pop sound and coming much closer to success than the previous attempts at that on the album. Sounds like it has a really cool backing track too from what I could make out.

Strange World - Another one that's got me wanting to hear more. Great B-Dub vocal and the track itself seems to be a nod to 1965 without sounding overly retro.

From There To Back Again - Wow! Lush harmonies, a great ACJ lead and probably the most BB-sounding track so far.

Pacific Coast Highway - This sounds like it wouldn't be out of place on TLOS. Very nice and just as it cuts off at the end it sounds like it may head off into a different direction. Can't wait to hear this one in full.

Summer's Gone - Reminds me of Stay Awake from In The Key Of Disney. Lovely bassline and a fragile lead from Brian that sounds really sweet. I'm scratching my head as to what JBJ contributed to this one?  LOL

I can't give a proper review of the album just yet but going by the clips it's most definitely a solid effort with only a couple of tracks that disappoint my ears.

Brilliant critical analysis/reaction by Craig.  Shelter, perhaps because it's too explicitly a non-BB lead on the chorus, and the PLOBAS are the two that have not yet gripped me; I just don't care about Bill and Sue as people yet; it is corporate angst that drives them to seek an escape?  I see lots of disenchanted couples on vacation, and I am not interested in their interior lives. So this song had better offer some surprises to get me.  Shelter is going to have to do some acapella move or something unique to get me interested.

Mike is solid lyrically and vocally on the enghanting Daybreak and Beaches.

I hear tons of radio play with all these songs!

I hear Bruce in Spring Vacation and Think About the Days and singing tone of parts with Brian. Go Bruce!. Al is huge--huge!--in FHTBA. Wow. that's a highlight.

Dave adding breaks and leads and bits here and there?  I don't know what guitar parts are old and which he added. We have not paid proper attention to the fact (we now know) that he added guitar parts to TWGMTR, that "your summer dream" feel, which is a major contribution.

PCH?  I can't wait to put this album in the car and just get on PCH and just drive util I have heard the album a 100 times, returning to the tune of Summer's Gone at sunset over Santa Monica Bay,  as I leave the ocean behind , take the 10, and head for home. . . .

Now we're all here to stay. . . . . .

I think we are going to be struck deeply in the heart by the total magnitude of this; we only see a distant wave, but it's surging gently and ever more powerfully.
Surfs up. . . .I think this is "it"

I'll bet the Boys are already planning a follow up; I can imagine that Capital is anxious to sign them to a big deal if this is as grand a success as I think. . .
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »

Yeah it does sound good indeed, just wasn't 100% sure. I hope he is prominent on the other tracks, couldn't hear him on the clips other than TWGMTR

You can hear him on the Isn't It Time clip too. There's a list of the featured lead vocalists on one of the threads but I can't remember exactly where. Al's voice smothered in reverb and chorus is always a joy!  Grin
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

You can hear him on the Isn't It Time clip too. There's a list of the featured lead vocalists on one of the threads but I can't remember exactly where. Al's voice smothered in reverb and chorus is always a joy!  Grin

very prominent Jardine on Isn't it Time

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Paulos
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »

Debonbon, I'm assuming you haven't heard Al's very recent solo album A Postcard From California? Cos' his vocals are all over that... Grin
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »

Al's auto-tuned vocals on "From There to Back Again" make it sound like Al Yankovic is singing it.  Cheesy Of course I am a Weird Al fan, and an Al Jardine fan, and the song sounds great to me. But that's just my observation.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx