gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:01:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 11: Benedum Hall - Pittsburgh, PA 5/11/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 24464 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »

Review:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/music-reviews/at-50-beach-boys-sound-youthfully-sublime-635525/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 07:50:15 AM »

Nice review, and the reviewer got David & Al's history in the band correct. I guess he'd better, with David being a western PA native.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »

I had a BLAST last night! My throat is sore from all the screaming I did when I rushed up front for the encore, sheesh! The BB's sounded better than I've heard in years and not just saying that because I was there! I was actually surprised of the power in Mike's voice last night and how Brian was really on target too. Al doing the "Come and Go With Me" part was so cool(he sounded effing powerful as well), I just wished they would of played the whole thing so I yelled "KEEP GOING!" to no avail. At one point I screamed "Honkin' Down the Highway" with Al giving a small "Ooo" but of course it didn't happen either. I have a few videos including TWW, TWGMTR and some of IJWMFTT that I'll post on youtube soon. There was no comparison of TWGMTR at this show to the Fallon performance, they nailed it last night. Bruce sounded a little raspy on Wendy but he KILLED "Disney Girls" I couldn't believe how awesome that sounded I only wish I could of got a video of that. Superb show will a bumpin' Pittsburgh audience give or take a few dudes in Hawaiian shirts and soccer moms but everyone was gettin' down! At the end of the show Mike was hanging around in the wings so I started screaming "MIKE LOVE, NOT WAR!" which prompted some old deadhead guy to tell me how awesome I was for making that up (hahahhaha).  I'm honestly thinking about buying tickets for the Cincinnati show because nothing compares to seeing them LIVE. My mind is thoroughly blown.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »

What a fantastic night in Pittsburgh, PA. Wow. You must see this show. I hope it comes your way.

Here are some photos from the sound check which I'll talk about later.

Add Some Music: Mike, Al, Bruce, and David standing and singing around the piano with Brian.

Update: I'm having trouble posting photos. I've tried to decrease the size of the file/JPEG but they won't upload. I'll try again later.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:32:41 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »

Thanks for the excellent photos, Chad!  My girlfriend is front and center in your last photo with her back to the camera (blue sweater/white skirt), waiting for me to buy my merchandise.  $65 for a tour shirt and solo CDs signed by Al and Dave is a pretty damn good deal, IMHO.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »

What a fantastic night in Pittsburgh, PA. Wow. You must see this show. I hope it comes your way.

Here are some photos from the sound check which I'll talk about later.

Add Some Music: Mike, Al, Bruce, and David standing and singing around the piano with Brian.

Update: I'm having trouble posting photos. I've tried to decrease the size of the file/JPEG but they won't upload. I'll try again later.

That's great to hear, also welcome to the forum SloopJohnnyB!  Smiley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »

The piano photo is great. Is that sheet music they're reading?

I mentioned this after watching the video on either gig 9 or 10. It looks to me like they are reading the lyric but with each line named so they know who sings what.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »

are there no videos from this show?  Is it back to the music with Bruce's politically folly sort of over?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »

are there no videos from this show?  Is it back to the music with Bruce's politically folly sort of over?

Quite a few!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkQ_HLOIJc&feature=relmfu
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »

I was there, row G orchestea.   So close I couldn't believe it.  It was just fantastic.......there are really no words at this point in my fandom to express my feelings about this band/these bands  and this show.   I will say that no true fan of this organization could realistically have asked for more.

I suggest you make the best effort you can to see one of these shows.  I have some nice pics to post if I can remember how I used to get them on the board.
Got a couple of especially nice group pics around the piano doing Add some Music.

Met some cool hard core fans and a couple of roadies hanging around the venue that afternoon.  FUN FUN FUN!

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 05:06:39 AM »

Thanks for the welcome, MaccaBeatles! Hello to everyone on the board.

I'm still having a problem posting photos. I posted a new subject topic on the 'welcome to the Smilely Smile' sub-board for help in posting photos. Maybe someone will help out.

I have some nice photos from the Pittsburgh show. I also have some photos from the 1970's that I want to post.

I believe my first Beach Boy concert was the THREE RIVERS STADIUM show in 1977 or 1978. This was the tour that Jan and Dean were guests for some of the shows. Mike taught the crowd to sing 'Country Pie'. Great memories. Really enjoyed it.

I also saw a show at the Stanley Theater (now called the Benedum!) in the early 1980's in which I believe Jeffrey Foskett was on his first Beach Boys tour. There was a young guy, I believe he wore suit, and he could play the guitar well and sing all of those high notes perfectly. Carl wasn't there. I guess he was on his solo tour?

I attended many shows at the Civic Arena, also.

This current tour is just incredible. I missed not seeing Dennis and Carl but it was nice to see David get his due.

Check back on this thread for the photos...if I can ever get them to upload.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »

getting confused lads: has the format of our board changed? I can't find the menu for looking for "unread posts since your last visit" and other such tools; I did not know where to ask this.

any info, or have I pressed an incorrect key?

thanks

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »

it's up at the top left where it always is.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »

It would be nice to put some pictures within the thread, but I constantly get an 'upload folder full' error message. Anyone?

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

It would be nice to put some pictures within the thread, but I constantly get an 'upload folder full' error message. Anyone?

Just use imageshack.com or something simlar to upload your pictures. Then you can post the links in your message

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »

Add Some Music from the sound check.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:31:33 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »

Nice Photo of Add Some Music live in concert, Pittsburgh, PA.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:37:35 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »

Take a close look at the video screen (during good vibrations)...

Do you see bingy-bingy herb? Sure looks like bingy to me.  Smokin

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »

Photo

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:50:14 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »

Mike Love

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »

Thanks for the pictures guys !
Could anybody tell how the boys seemed to feel at the soundcheck? Any interesting notes you took ?

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »

I'll post a reply soon about the sound check experience. Let me just say now that if you get a chance on this tour, do it!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

I'll post a reply soon about the sound check experience. Let me just say now that if you get a chance on this tour, do it!

Got my Berlin tickets for months.....  Grin

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »

Nice group photo at the end of the show. Thank you Beach Boys!  Rock! Head Spin w00t!

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »

I'm digging the white outfits!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx