gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:53:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 11: Benedum Hall - Pittsburgh, PA 5/11/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 24594 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »

Setlist/pics/reviews etc...

(with thanks to Spil Phector!)

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
You're So Good to Me
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
Why Do Fools
**Come Go With Me** (placement in set list to be confirmed)
When I Grow Up
Cottonfields
Marcella
Be True to Your School
Disney Girls
Don't Worry Baby
Little Honda
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Second Set
Add Some Music
Cali Dreamin
Sloop
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Forever
Sail On Sailor
Heroes and Villains
In My Room
All This Is That
This Whole World
I Wasn't Made for These Times
God Only Knows
That's Why God Made The Radio
Cali Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA

Encore
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:29:41 PM by Justin » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »

speechless.... Smiley
great show.....see it if you get a chance.

i'm gonna go listen to this over and over all night long.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:51:26 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »

The setlist was basically the same as the last Beacon show, with Add Some Music around the piano, and Marcella.  The house was jam-packed, and the concert started right on time.  

The show was freaking AMAZING.  Brian played the whole night, apparently accurately, and sometimes audibly. (I think he was amped through his monitor, but not the main mix.) Mike and Al were amazing, Bruce was great albeit a bit wooly-sounding at first.

Dave Marks played the hell out of his solos, and he took most if not all of the solos.  Strong, virtuosic playing!

Mike asked if anyone had heard TWGMTR on Fallon, and said that it would be much better tonight-- "we've been practicing." And it was amazing. Fairly well received, but of course the audience was a bit tepid when the unfamiliar cuts were played. No one got up for bathroom breaks, though.

This Whole World is still in the set. Brian strangely got two beats off (late) in the "When girls get mad..." section, and then got back on track.

I watched Brian's bass playing through binoculars, and although it was root notes, they were the right notes.

No Stamos; the DW and CW videos went flawlessly and were a great part of the show.

Brian's vocals sounded as good as they've ever sounded live, since the solo shows commenced in 1999.  That means either the autotune was dialed WAYYYYY back and better managed, or his singing was just much better than before.  I suspect a combination. Very few pitch problems, but no audible autotune artifacts in the room. I wonder if a discreet bit is applied all around, because the intonation of the group harmonies was absolutely spot on pretty much the whole time.  Either way, it's all good.

Oh--- and the return of...

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.....................................
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:25:12 AM by Spil Phector » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:51:55 PM »

AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING.  That's all I can say.  Sold out, of course.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »

Oh yeah, the set-list doesn't mention it, but they played a bit of "Come Go With Me" - noting that the Del Vikings were from Pittsburgh.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »

I just get so giddy reading these reviews1 I'm so excited!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »

Sounds like another great one, glad the "new" songs have been kept in. Thanks for the updates guys.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »

I need to see pics, especially of Bruce  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »

Man. They're up to 45 songs. And they said they only rehearsed 50. Given that they don't include TLGIOK in the current list, that means they've played 46 of the rehearsed tunes. Only four remain, then ...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:30:28 PM by Wirestone » Logged
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »

TLGIOK??
DennyMac79
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »

TLGIOK??
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »

TLGIOK??
The Little Girl I Once Knew

Great first post

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 10:19:50 PM »

+1

Don't be a whore about your second post, now...

Smokin Smokin

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »

Guess David did the lead on Hawaii again? Still waiting to see that on youtube.

Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »

Thanks for the review and this tour is just amazing !!!  I still want to hear Country Air!!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 11:51:53 PM »

Can I just say, though, that I think it's really silly that they're NOT doing the "Smile" version of H&V?  It's the single version - plus a totally out-of-place "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!"  Shouldn't the Cantina verse be a permanent inclusion now?

(I have to also add that the audience seemed completely unfamiliar with H&V, which made me a bit sad.... though I was also sitting next to a VERY old woman who disliked every single non-overplayed-hit.  God, did she not like "All This Is That". :-P)
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »

Fantastic show tonight. Really impressive. A few notes:

1) I'm not quite sure of your placement of Marcella in the set list. I had it following Wendy, as opposed to Cottonfields. But be that as it may - the intro kicked in, and you could feel the energy rise in the room. It was...just great.

2) Yeah the doowop conversation! It seemed as if Al just started singing 'Come Go' on his own, and the band jumped right in. Lasted about thirty seconds. A tasty hors oeuvres!

3) Bruce sounded a little short and raspy on Wendy, but maaaan - he hit it outta the park on Disney Girls. Really good.

4) Prior to Be True To Your School, Mike had a short conversation with Dave, who mentioned to the crowd that he 'was born in Erie, PA, moved to New Castle, PA (about 45 miles north of Pittsburgh) and then moved to Hawthorne when he was 5...moving across the street from THIS guy (pointing to Brian). A nice moment.

5) Add Some Music. You've just got to see the image of all the guys huddled around Brian's piano. It's an iconic image.

6) All This is That was preceded by a short explanation by Mike of the tune's TM origins. Don't know how it registered with the 'yinzer' crowd, but Mike was sincere about it.

7) This Whole World - yeah, Brian fell a couple beats off on the 'when girls get mad at boys you know' part. You could hear the band kind of slow down to sync things up. Mini train wreck there, but oh well.

Cool TWGMTR. Absolutely majestic. I could care less if Al freakin' Capone wrote the song. The Boys did it justice, and it was just majestic. Homerun.

9) It's already been said many times, but it's freakin' cool to see (and hear) Dave up there. Dude shredded several times tonight, and really added an edge to the sound.

10) Even Ba-ba-ba-ba-RAN sounded good tonight. Whattaya gonna do? Smokin

11) We often forget, but Mike Love is a great front man. He was damn funny tonight, but kept things moving briskly and smoothly. No quibbles from me, and I'm a quibbler.

I was talking with some folks after the show. A man and his wife told me that they remembered seeing the Beach Boys @ Pittsburgh's Syria Mosque circa '73. At that particular show, they recalled Dennis standing at the front of the stage at the end - saying over and over, 'thank you, thank you, thank you so very much' to the crowd at the Mosque. Tonight to him seemed like full closure. A grand circle of memories.

Tonight's show (and this tour) can be summed up as a celebration through reflection. Rock, paper, scissors...harmony trumps ALL.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »

I feel Marcella is out of place in set 1  Grin anyone else?
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 02:41:37 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chad_stanley/

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Kees
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 03:32:57 AM »

Fantastic show tonight. Really impressive. A few notes:

5) Add Some Music. You've just got to see the image of all the guys huddled around Brian's piano. It's an iconic image.

Dear Beach Boys: Never ever play a show without this one. (especially at the Lokerse feesten  Grin )
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 03:40:36 AM »

The piano photo is great. Is that sheet music they're reading?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »

The setlist was basically the same as the last Beacon show, with Add Some Music around the piano, and Marcella.  The house was jam-packed, and the concert started right on time.  

Brian's vocals sounded as good as they've ever sounded live, since the solo shows commenced in 1999.  That means either the autotune was dialed WAYYYYY back and better managed, or his singing was just much better than before.  I suspect a combination. Very few pitch problems, but no audible autotune artifacts in the room. I wonder if a discreet bit is applied all around, because the intonation of the group harmonies was absolutely spot on pretty much the whole time.  Either way, it's all good.

I think your live experience was just like everybody else's. Brian sounds just fine in the room, like it's been said since day 1. The autotune faction is a video-only one. For whatever reason the videos sound the way they do. I'm sure some people will detect autotune in the videos from the show you attended.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 05:14:20 AM »

Another one that has been in the set is Dance Dance Dance and dropped so that's 47....
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:40 AM »

Can I just say, though, that I think it's really silly that they're NOT doing the "Smile" version of H&V?  It's the single version - plus a totally out-of-place "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!"  Shouldn't the Cantina verse be a permanent inclusion now?

(I have to also add that the audience seemed completely unfamiliar with H&V, which made me a bit sad.... though I was also sitting next to a VERY old woman who disliked every single non-overplayed-hit.  God, did she not like "All This Is That". :-P)

This reminds me of Brian's Gershwin show in Glasgow last year. This couple who were maybe in their late 20's/early 30's were absolutely furious about Brian playing the Gershwin album as "nobody wants to hear that". Now the show was clearly advertised as Brian Wilson playing the Gershwin album but according to these mutants "nobody" was there to hear that...  Roll Eyes
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »

Man. They're up to 45 songs. And they said they only rehearsed 50. Given that they don't include TLGIOK in the current list, that means they've played 46 of the rehearsed tunes. Only four remain, then ...

Only ? Imo the setlist couldn't get any better. Of course it would be nice to see "Kiss me baby" "Caroline, no" or some Love you-material but that would all be icing on the cake imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx