gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:29:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Carrie Marks Thread  (Read 110377 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »

Did Brian ever play with a pick? I figured it was just live but for recordings he'd play with one to give it that 'cleaner' sound...

Also, did any other Beach Boy play the bass live or for recordings other than Brian and Al?

In the Surfin Safari/USA two fer you can see pics of Carl playing bass

David has said many times that the photo of Carl playing bass was "staged" and that he didn't play it on the record. Carl did play drums on one track on the first LP.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »

@Jon: now that's cool. Thanks. Do you know which song Carl played drums on?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2006, 11:41:05 AM »

I do, but since this is Carrie's thread and Dave's info...I'll let them tell you.
Jason
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2006, 04:15:43 PM »

I just received David's new releases in the mail yesterday.

Something Funny Goin' On was THE surprise of 2003 for me as a Beach Boys fan, and I Think About You Often is miles ahead of it. The live album is also great.

Carrie, on David's website at least a year or so ago there were fragmentary session clips posted. Many of these did not find a home on I Think About You Often. Is David planning another CD to round up the rest of this material?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »

I do, but since this is Carrie's thread and Dave's info...I'll let them tell you.

I just wait and see what happens.... Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2006, 05:29:26 PM »

Do you know which song Carl played drums on?

Carl played drums on Moon Dawg. 
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »

Is David planning another CD to round up the rest of this material?

Right now David has more material to record than time or budget will allow. His next project will most likely be his own arrangements of his favorite Beach Boy songs...this concept was inspired by his recording of Dennis' You and I. He's got the sketches recorded so the project is well on its way, although no release date is set. He's also got several more CDs worth of material waiting to be recorded after that.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »

Did Brian ever play with a pick?

David said Brian usually used his thumb instead of his fingers or a pick.

Regarding Surfer Moon, he's not coming up with anything...as far as he remembers it was Brian.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2006, 03:31:48 AM »

Do you know which song Carl played drums on?

Carl played drums on Moon Dawg. 

Thanks Carrie. Another piece of the puzzle.... Cheesy

- Jack Rieley
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2006, 07:31:49 PM »

Another little known fact regarding the drums is that David played them on Surfer Girl and the Letterman's Silly Boy during their live shows so Dennis could go up front and sing.   
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »

I dig it ! Thanks Carrie !

- Jack Rieley
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »

Per David Mark's myspace blog:

We are very pleased to announce the long awaited Jon Stebbins biography, David Marks: The Lost Beach Boy, is being published by music giants Virgin and is currently slated for a March '07 release date.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2006, 07:02:28 PM »

Congratulations Jon, David and Carrie. 
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2006, 08:00:39 AM »

Look forward to reading the book Jon.

The latest 'Mojo' magazine has an interview/hepatitis c awareness promo, 'The Lost Beach Boy' featuring David on pages 94/95. Great b/w photo portrait too.

Cool
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 08:01:51 AM by Bill Barnyard » Logged

I guess I've got a way with girls
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »

I was doing some Googling tonight and found this in alt.music.beach-boys, from 1998:

For the more open-minded among us, there's a decent article/interview
with David Marks in the new issue of Michael Weldon's PSYCHOTRONIC
VIDEO (issue #28). Some of it's lifted from the Timothy White book, but
there are new bits of info, too, such as the three times old Lovesy
saved Dave's life, a surprising observation on Murry's role in the
studio ("He'd always be bugging everyone . . . 'More treble on the
guitars' . . . the records were clear and sharp and that was because of
Murry") and his claim that he spent close to 20 years boozing & running
around with Dennis ("If I'd have been on the boat with Dennis that day,
I'd have fallen in and drowned with him"). He also talks about the Boys
songs he's now writing-- "My songs aren't about cruising, they're about
getting stopped for drunk driving." (I wonder if Love will sue to get
his name on *that* song?)

Anyone here recall reading that interview?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2007, 06:49:23 AM »

Since I'm logged on already, I might as well add a shameless plug for the book here. It's now available for pre sale at Amazon:

UK listing

US listing

Happy New Year!

Carrie
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2007, 06:58:46 PM »

Hi Carrie

Good discusssion below on what members would have done had the BBs never happend. Wondering if Dave has any opinions on himself or others?

Looking forward to the book.

Regards
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2007, 07:44:34 AM »

I asked him and David said he would be doing something with music regardless.  He wrote and recorded his first original song 2 - 2 1/2 years before Surfin' so the Beach Boys didn't put David on the musical path...but they did accelerate him down it.  Architecture is the only thing he said he could see himself doing besides music.

As for Brian, he said "God didn't put all that music inside of Brian for it not to come out.  He would have found some why to express himself even if he didn't have the Beach Boys.  How successful it would have been is another story."  He went on to say that if Brian didn't make it as a songwriter or engineer/producer, he probably would have been the Music teacher or P.E. Coach at Hawthorne High.

He said Mike would be doing something public - sales or maybe politics.  He said (without hesitation) that Carl would do something with cars - probably selling them.  And Dennis - he said he would be a VERY successful salesman because he could convince anyone to do anything.  He figured Al would be a department manager in a large corporation and Bruce would have continued on his own as a producer and songwriter.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »

I think that  the 3 Wilson brothers, especially Dennis, would probably have experimented in the hippy, drug culture had their been a BBs or not. But they might have straightened up a lot sooner.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
MBE
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »

Now that the book is out what do you and David think about the final product?
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »

In general, the book turned out better than we could have hoped.  Virgin did a really good job of staying true to our original vision which was great.  In fact, they did very little editing...most of their changes only served to give Jon a British accent.

The best part for me has been watching the response from David's close friends and family as they begin to read it.  I think it may have been easier to open up to an anonymous public than it was to reveal those emotions to his immediate circle –  the ones he’d been trying to convince he didn’t care.  But the people who love him have been really affected by this book and have all commented on how they feel they understand David better now and respect him even more.  A few of the tougher guys even admit to crying on the last page. 

But getting off the serious stuff, what I'm really looking forward to is the US Book Release Party at Rusty's Surf ranch on the Santa Monica Pier on May 29th. 

We are inviting the whole "cast of characters" from the book so it will be nice to have everyone together in one place to thank them in person...and to celebrate.  The rest of the night will be performances with various configurations of people David has played with or is some how related to the book.

We are still working out the details of the line-up but there will be limited tickets available for the public for the event (Rusty's only holds 300 max).  Info will be coming soon for those who don't want to miss it!
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2007, 10:20:08 AM »

In general, the book turned out better than we could have hoped.  Virgin did a really good job of staying true to our original vision which was great.  In fact, they did very little editing...most of their changes only served to give Jon a British accent.

The best part for me has been watching the response from David's close friends and family as they begin to read it.  I think it may have been easier to open up to an anonymous public than it was to reveal those emotions to his immediate circle –  the ones he’d been trying to convince he didn’t care.  But the people who love him have been really affected by this book and have all commented on how they feel they understand David better now and respect him even more.  A few of the tougher guys even admit to crying on the last page. 

But getting off the serious stuff, what I'm really looking forward to is the US Book Release Party at Rusty's Surf ranch on the Santa Monica Pier on May 29th. 

We are inviting the whole "cast of characters" from the book so it will be nice to have everyone together in one place to thank them in person...and to celebrate.  The rest of the night will be performances with various configurations of people David has played with or is some how related to the book.

We are still working out the details of the line-up but there will be limited tickets available for the public for the event (Rusty's only holds 300 max).  Info will be coming soon for those who don't want to miss it!

Carrie - I hope the launch goes well for you over in the US, wish I could get over there for it ! Hope to see you in the UK again soon ... with the Marksmen CD neatly packaged alongside !! Any confirmed date for that yet ?!
Regards
Malc

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2007, 07:16:37 AM »

Hello,

We're doing the definitive vocal credits thread, and I wonder if David could answer the question of who the carnival barker is on "County Fair" is? Thanks.

Also, can he confirm that it's Nik Venet barking on "Moon Dawg"?
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »

Nik was the carnival barker and did the howling on Moon Dawg.

Hope that helps...

Carrie
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2007, 04:14:09 AM »

Thanks!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx