gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:14:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Carrie Marks Thread  (Read 111037 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2006, 12:56:39 PM »

He really likes the Surfs Up LP.

I believe around that time he was asked to come back into the group, wasn't he?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »

Carrie, After David left The Beach Boys in 1963 what did he think of the music they made throughout the rest of the sixties and beyond?

He loved WIBN and GV when they were released but considered them Brian Wilson songs, not "the Beach Boys".  But for the most part, as Jon will explain in greater detail in his book, David tried his best to not listen to their music.  It was just too weird for him to have that connection while being so far away from them at the same time....it was easier to just tune them out.  The turning point for him liking the music was returning in the late 90's when he gained a real appreciation for both the songs he was on as well as what came later.  He really likes the Surfs Up LP.

Sorry Susan, I failed your challenge. 

's all right, Carrie.  You came darned close, and still gave a complete answer!  You win!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2006, 08:43:55 AM »

He really likes the Surfs Up LP.

I believe around that time he was asked to come back into the group, wasn't he?

Yes, he was.   David's path crossed with the other Beach Boys several times in 1971.   
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2006, 05:15:20 PM »

Hi Carrie!
I am a big fan of David, and was wondering when his book will be coming out?  I can't wait to get my paws on a copy!
Thanks
Carly

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »

Hi Carly,

There hasn't been a firm release date set yet but we are shooting for later this summer.  There was some new information uncovered during the research process of the book which pushed back the spring release, but in the end, the new additions will make the wait well worth it.  In the meantime, David's got a bunch of new music coming out in the next few weeks with more scheduled to come out at the time of the book's release.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »

Hi Carrie
Just wondering. Both you and Jon have indicated there will be a lot of new infomation about the group and I think Jon has said some of it could be quite shocking. For a already well known story to sell well it needs something new and extra. Do you see a falling out between David and any other members as a result of someone else (I'm thinking marketing people here) demanding a story that David himself is not comfortable telling?
As we know certain group members have been known to call in the lawyers at the first sign of anothers version of the truth.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 07:07:01 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2006, 08:27:07 AM »

That's an interesting question. First off, it’s an authorized biography so David has some say in what is released and nothing he's uncomfortable with has been included.  No corporate higher-ups will interfere with the integrity of the book for the sake of sales. And its customary to have an attorney screen the book before it’s released….just in case.  So, no…I don’t foresee any legal issues with the other Beach Boys.

Most importantly, the book will change the way people thing about the Beach Boys early years.  No question about it.  However, just because it tells the WHOLE story for the first time, doesn’t mean it will take anything away from any of the others.  It doesn’t.  David doesn’t have bitterness or anger towards his former band mates so there isn’t anything printed that would indicate a need for their lawyers to get involved.  The intention of the book is not to be a dirt-fest that tears people down...that's not Jon's style and it's certainly not David's.

In fact, one of Jon’s most supportive interviewees was Al Jardine and out of all of them, one would assume this book would rub him the wrong way.  But no…even to his own exclusion, Al was very vocal about what David contributed to the Beach Boys. Mike Love also comes off looking pretty good…not in a kiss-ass way but the fact is, in spite of  everything, they’ve had a pretty decent relationship and Mike has been one of David’s most consistent supporters over the last 45 years.  And Brian, Dennis and Carl were like brothers to David so he doesn’t have anything bad to say about them. 

If anything, they all come out of this looking better than in any other book because David wasn’t there for the down years.  His relationships haven’t been clouded by politics and money and his perspective of all them is based around a happy and innocent times where the music and having fun as a family were the most important things.  The dark parts of this story, and there are many, come later in the book when David struggles with having had and lost that. 
MBE
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2006, 08:57:02 AM »

Carrie I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions about how you met David? When and how did you become a Beach Boys fan? Was David the first Beach Boy you met.  What is your impression of each Beach Boy, and finally how did you and Dave first go out. Hope these aren't stupid or too personal.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2006, 05:55:35 AM »

That's not something that can't be easily answered in a message board post.  You'll have to wait for the book for the answer to this one.
MBE
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2006, 11:26:30 PM »

Ok Carrie I will look forward to the book.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2006, 10:57:42 PM »

Carrie nobody has asked but how was the Tower?
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2006, 10:33:16 AM »

The Capitol reunion was great.  The chemistry between David, Mike and Brian was kind of like watching older versions of the same kids who first entered that building 44 years ago. You could just about imagine them running through the halls in their bare feet and bathing suits…which they did quite often back then.

The other thing I should probably comment on was what was portrayed in some of the video footage (and from Bruce’s post on BBB) about David being excluded from the photos.  What happened was: towards the end of the photo shoot, the executive asked David to step out so they could have one with the 4 guys on Pet Sounds to promote separately.  That’s when the rest of the guys insisted he was one of them and should not be single out and excluded.  It was very cool to witness such an outward and public display of support…it may not always appear that way on the surface, but there is a lot of love there.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »

I also wanted to post an update on David's CDs.  They are on their way back from the manufacturer and should be in my hands by the end of the week.  Anyone who pre-orded the CDs will have theirs mailed out the same day I get them.  Going to LA for the event at the Tower threw the deadline off so they were late getting pressed...I apologize.  Thank you for your patiences and expect to have them soon.

If you haven't yet, the pre-order "special" will be available until Friday July 14th.  Clips are available at:

DavidLeeMarks.com/AV.html  & MySpace.com/DavidMarks
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply.
Glad all had a good time.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2006, 09:01:37 PM »

We're pleased to report that we've received David Marks's guitar parts back for his tune on the Jan Berry / Jan & Dean Tribute Album . . . and they're incredible.

Not what most people will be expecting . . . So David and Carrie, don't spill the beans!! . . . if you're asked about it, okay? . . . It'll be a surprise.

David is one talented guitarist . . . the most technically accomplished instrumentalist of any of the original Beach Boys.

M.

peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2006, 02:00:05 PM »

Hi Carrie,
please wish David a happy birthday from me and the members of bwfans.com.  Smiley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2006, 12:47:31 PM »

Hey Carrie, I was inspired by the Surfin' USA Drummer thread on the Shut Down board, so I wondered if you'd mind asking David if he remembers/knows who the bass player was on the track "Surfer Moon" from the Surfer Girl LP (as opposed to the earlier versions and whatnot).

It's distinctly not a Beach Boys playing the bass.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »

I asked him but he's not immediately coming up with anything.  He asked why you didn't think it was Brian...maybe that would spark a memory?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2006, 06:50:05 PM »

It's got a heavy pick sound, it really sounds a lot like Ray Pohlman to me.  It's not Brian's usual pumping, big thumb sound.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2006, 07:23:05 PM »

Josh - good to see you're well enough to be thinking about such things as the heavy pick sound on a "Surfer Girl" track's bass part!

Can you provide me a link to the thread you mentioned on the Shut Down board?

Thanks,
Craig
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »

http://www.shutdown-vol2.com/forum/index.php?topic=606.0

There's the thread, pretty big stuff...

And yeah, I'm almost too interested in Beach Boys credits today...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2006, 10:56:29 PM »

Did Brian ever play with a pick? I figured it was just live but for recordings he'd play with one to give it that 'cleaner' sound...

Also, did any other Beach Boy play the bass live or for recordings other than Brian and Al?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2006, 03:21:38 AM »

Did Brian ever play with a pick? I figured it was just live but for recordings he'd play with one to give it that 'cleaner' sound...

Also, did any other Beach Boy play the bass live or for recordings other than Brian and Al?

In the Surfin Safari/USA two fer you can see pics of Carl playing bass

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2006, 04:38:10 AM »

If Brian ever did use a pick, it was very rare.

And, yes...Bruce did.  And later, Blondie.  But you probably knew that!  Smiley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2006, 06:47:52 AM »

Hehe, I forgot to mention the earlier recordings... Razz

If Brian ever did use a pick, it was very rare.

And, yes...Bruce did.  And later, Blondie.  But you probably knew that!  Smiley

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx