gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:11:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Carrie Marks Thread  (Read 110457 times)
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 11:12:56 AM »

Joe – David may not have made a career out of the surf era in the way Dick Dale or Paul Johnson have, but his roots will always be firmly planted in the early Southern California sound. You can even hear hints of the influence in his original music that extends outside that genre.

As for what David and Al play when they’re together…Beach Boy songs, of course.  Musically, they lean towards opposite ends of the spectrum but they have that common ground.

None of the other guitar players play the rhythm parts the same way as David…they strum the chords, which is fine.  But David played the original rhythm parts with more edge…real tight and driving. It was his “thing” or like in an earlier thread on this board, more like the earliest punk band.  And with David Logeman (who played with Zappa) on drums, the band really grooves and has tons of energy, while Al nails every vocal part and has, as we all know, a truly amazing voice.  They bring the best of both worlds to the table.

It’s a shame they aren’t working more because I can’t say enough positive things about the few shows they’ve played together this year.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »

Well, if you can't say enough, put a CD out!  Dave and Al should be an easy sell.  I'd love to hear it.

I've gotten more intrigued by the what-might-have-been aspect with Dave- no knock on Al whatsoever, just a road not taken.  It's always seemed that Dave, personality-wise, would have probably strengthened Dennis' corner of the band, whereas Al held the middle, which was probably more peaceful.  But you wonder if the band with Dave in it- wilder and a little more Strat-driven against that Baldwin organ- would have turned the famous Monterey corner differently.  Maybe the band needed to refill their squirt guns with urine at that stage (if only to keep the urine from getting tested).

Ultimately, I can't help thinking he'd have gotten dragged into the nuttiness just like Al did.  One thing I wish for sure is that, like Al before him and Bruce after him, he hadn't shut the door so completely after 1963.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »

I would also like to see some kind of recorded project with both David and Al but that isn’t so easy considering we live 3,000 miles apart.  Even though technology makes it more than possible, there is something about the inspiration and chemistry between artists when they’re in the same room.  But I know David is open for it should it evolve in that direction.

I do think you are right about the “what-might-have-been” if David had stayed or rejoined...the band’s sound would have been different, for sure, and I think David would have kept the band a little more relevant in the post-Smile era. And it’s certainly fun to imagine what he and Dennis could have done together – musically and otherwise.

However, had he stayed he would’ve had more access to drugs and faster cars and based on the damage he was able to do with his limited resources, chances are pretty good he would have taken it too far and suffered the same fate as Dennis...so he doesn’t have any real regrets.

As for those closed doors, I think the book will point out how they really weren’t as closed as we’ve been lead to believe.  Besides the sporadic attempts to get David back over the years, there is also some interesting evidence which surfaced while doing research for Jon’s book.  I think people will be quite surprised at just how much power David had in the organization and how late in the game that power extended.  I was absolutely floored by what was uncovered!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »

they should goto a neutral location, like here in miami in my itty bitty room studio 3D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 06:24:16 PM »

Counting the days to that book, and the CD.  It's been really interesting for me- it's like David jjust came back from the dead in the Beach Boys story.  He wasn't heard from for so many years, except as a source in the Gaines book and here and there and in the odd newspaper article, and almost never directly until now.  When I was in L.A. I knew he was in town but he was like an urban legend- someone here and there knew him or saw him.  He was in my phone book, but was still sort of the Invisible Man.

Now, finally, we're going to have the Marksmen, some amazing sounding new music, and David's own story with a lot of new angles.

It's not just a huge gap in the Beach Boys story being filled in; it's like a musical and personal addition to the legacy.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 07:54:54 PM »

You'll be surprised how big that gap really was. Murry swept an awful lot of dirty laundry under the BB's sandbox...like Carrie said, some of what was discovered is pretty huge stuff.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2006, 05:17:42 AM »

David had good lawyers, they even had his back in the 1967 BRI v. Capitol Record suit.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2006, 08:55:49 AM »

David had good lawyers, they even had his back in the 1967 BRI v. Capitol Record suit.

Hm. 

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2006, 09:56:03 AM »

When you see the whole picture...something closer to the opposite of that is true.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2006, 10:31:46 AM »

Jon is right.  David had a great lawyer in 1962 when they were negotiating the Capitol contract but after that, things get really interesting!

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2006, 11:20:09 AM »

Interesting.

I guess filing a suit doesn't necessarily put anything in your pocket.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2006, 04:27:37 PM »

It never has, Cammy...and it never will...

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2006, 01:24:46 AM »

"Cammy", huh?  Hee, hee..... Evil  That may have to stick.

It's May already...how's that album coming?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2006, 08:12:44 AM »

It's May already...how's that album coming?

It's just about finished, actually.  David has a few things to tweak mix-wise and he's still playing with which songs will make this CD and which will be held for the next one, but at least one of the tracks are co-written with Stephen Kalinich. Figuring in manufacturing time, we are looking at shipping CDs during the first or second week of June which means I'll have the website set up to take pre-orders in the middle of May....next week.  I'll post when it' becomes available.  At the same time, we will also be offering a live CD recorded in 1977 which features some of the hottest session guys of the time...it's more Blues oriented than the new one.   There will a discount for those who pre-order them together.

In case anyone hasn't heard the samples, they are available (2 from each CD) at:

http://www.MySpace.com/DavidMarks

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »

This is some cool stuff, too.  I've heard quite a bit of it, and i'm definitely looking forward to hearing the finished product.  Not overtly Beach Boy-ish, but...you are what you are, right? 

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »

Not overtly Beach Boy-ish,...

But listen to "Ocean Liner" and especially "Light Of The Spirit"- can you imagine this guy writing with Dennis?  Also, imagine "Ocean Liner" with group vocals, on one of the late seventies albums- the sort of stuff I wish they were doing at the time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:46:06 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »

Oh, man -- those Dolphin '77 clips are so cool!! Some very tasty guitar work there. Sign me up for those CDs, just please let me pay by check!

I fell in love with "Ocean Liner" when I first heard it on the *Not for Sale* compilation. It's one of my favorites of David's songs.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2006, 04:01:47 PM »

Surfer Joe - i know!!!  That's what the "you are what you are" comment is all about!  It seeps through, and it's just the right touch!

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2006, 05:50:45 PM »

It gives me a serious "what-if" vibe, Susan, because you can't help thinking Dennis and Dave would have thrown each other a lot of support and gotten some better material on the albums- not to throw Al or anyone under the bus in any way.

I fell in love with "Ocean Liner" when I first heard it on the *Not for Sale* compilation. It's one of my favorites of David's songs.

Vas is das "Not For Sale"?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2006, 08:09:53 AM »

NFS was a compilation put together for the first BUSY DOIN' SOMETHIN' East Coast convention back in 2003.  Junkstar put it together.  It featured a whole lot of very cool, often unreleased, songs, inlcuding the afore-mentioned "Ocean Liner."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:00:43 AM by Susan » Logged

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2006, 09:22:17 AM »

Ocean Liner is a great song.  It's not one of David's originals, though he's pretty much adopted the song.  It was written by his 35+ year musical partner, Buzz Clifford, and originally appeared on Buzz's "See Your Way Clear" LP released in 1969 on Dot.  David met Buzz after being hired by Danny Moore (the producer) as a session guitar player on the album.  David, Buzz, Danny and Gary Montgomery (another bandmate/studio guy) remained the closest of friends and made some great music over the years.   Danny's biggest claim to fame was writing Shambala by 3 Dog Night and My Maria by BW Stevenson and Brooks & Dunn.

Bringing all this current, Buzz plays guitar on T-Bone Burnett's new CD (another old friend of theirs) and T Bone will also feature Ocean Liner in one of his new films which will be very cool for Buzz.  Also, if you've ever seen the Mark Harmon movie, Local Boys, with Dick Dale...Buzz has 2 songs in that movie as well. 
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »

Carrie, After David left The Beach Boys in 1963 what did he think of the music they made throughout the rest of the sixties and beyond?
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »

Carrie, After David left The Beach Boys in 1963 what did he think of the music they made throughout the rest of the sixties and beyond?

Twenty-five words or less, please...
:-/

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2006, 06:27:42 AM »

He loved WIBN and GV when they were released but considered them Brian Wilson songs, not "the Beach Boys".  But for the most part, as Jon will explain in greater detail in his book, David tried his best to not listen to their music.  It was just too weird for him to have that connection while being so far away from them at the same time....it was easier to just tune them out.  The turning point for him liking the music was returning in the late 90's when he gained a real appreciation for both the songs he was on as well as what came later.  He really likes the Surfs Up LP.

Sorry Susan, I failed your challenge. 
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2006, 06:46:04 AM »

He loved WIBN and GV when they were released but considered them Brian Wilson songs, not "the Beach Boys".  But for the most part, as Jon will explain in greater detail in his book, David tried his best to not listen to their music.  It was just too weird for him to have that connection while being so far away from them at the same time....it was easier to just tune them out.  The turning point for him liking the music was returning in the late 90's when he gained a real appreciation for both the songs he was on as well as what came later.  He really likes the Surfs Up LP.

That's understandable,
Thanks Carrie.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx