gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Carrie Marks Thread  (Read 110370 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

Folks, we've got an ultra-distinguished guest here.  Put down those squirt guns and water balloons and bring some worthy questions about Murry's arch-foe from  West 119th Street.

I'll start by repeating my question from another thread: what kind of performance footage exists from David's time in the band?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 05:35:49 PM »

As far as I know, the only footage that exists is the One Man's Challenge doc and the Red Skelton Show in those silly sailor suits.  I'm sure there's more out there somewhere since David did do a bunch of TV shows, but I haven't seen much of it.  But I don't think there's any visual documentation of David on drums...tho I'd be as interested in seeing that as anyone out there.

As for you question below regarding post-BBs sessions, there are a bunch of great stories in the book, however, most of his really cool stories fall within the live genre...he's jammed with the best of them.  I guess a good example would be his time playing with Delanie & Bonnie and Friends...he and Jim Keltner played together in various bands in the late 60's and did a bunch of sessions together and Jim was a big fan of David's playing.  Jim encouraged David to try out for D&B and he was hired based on his impressive classical chops...he played a Bach piece for his audition.  However, after doing some shows in LA,  just before they left for their tour of the UK, David was fired so Eric Clapton could take his place.   There is also a really great story about Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen tour bus showing up at David's house in Mass.  I can't even begin to do  the story justice the way Jon does but it's worth the price of the book just for this one story alone.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 08:22:32 PM »

Wow i get to correct Carrie right away...she expects that from me. I'm sure she forgot there is performance footage of the BB's playing a concert in Hawaii in '63...with both Al and Dave in the lineup. Its silent footage unfortunately...that Dave's dad shot...in color!! 
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:06:26 PM »

How about post-BB footage ? Anything in circulation from The Marksmen ? Or the Moon ? And is there ANY chance we'll get to hear a collection of Marksmen stuff on CD one day ? I've only ever heard the stuff issued on Sundazed - "Sheriff Of Noddingham" and "Kustom Kar Show" - but having heard David perform "Cruisin'" in concert I'd love to hear the original ...
BTW - If anyone hasn't heard David's "Works Tapes" collection, check out "I Wanna Be Your Driver" and "Bamboo Shack" - both fantastic tracks (tho' I do recall Carrie telling me she isn't that keen on the 'synthesised' sounds ...)

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 04:02:02 AM »

Wow i get to correct Carrie right away...she expects that from me. I'm sure she forgot there is performance footage of the BB's playing a concert in Hawaii in '63...with both Al and Dave in the lineup. Its silent footage unfortunately...that Dave's dad shot...in color!! 

Is that what they shown in "Endless Harmony", where the BBs were those yellow shirts?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:27:12 AM »

Yeah, Jon...you are correct. I forgot all about that in spite of mentioning the home movies in the post about Kip Brown.  I was thinking more along the lines of that Pickwick thing surfacing or something like that...but it is great footage taken by Elmer Marks.  It just may be the first video of Al Jardine in the Beach Boys....isn't it?

I'm not able to visualize the Endless Harmony footage, but I do think they're wearing the yellow shirts in Elmer's footage - Mike is doing is goofy dance moves - big surprise!  It must be the same footage.  The movies also include the shots of them on the Beach in Hawaii which, I believe, was in the American Band doc.  These home movies have been circulating as a boot for at least 20 years now, so if you look hard enough, you might find someone willing to sell or trade you a really bad quality dub.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 07:50:34 AM »

Malc:  I have never seen any video of the Marksmen or the Moon.  Have I, Jon?  No, I'm sure I haven't...would love to, though.  Oh wait...why do I keep forgetting those home movies?  There is footage of the Marksmen, but not playing, unfortunately.  On the same reel as the Hawaii trip, there is footage of David and the Marksmen dressing up in costumes and acting out little skits.

There will be a full Marksmen release in time for the book.  I mentioned this earlier -  I'm waiting for an answer from Sundazed about whether or not they want to release it...which, the longer I go without a YES, leads me to believe is a NO.  If I don't get a response soon, then I'll just put the 14 tracks together and release it on David's label;  I'd prefer Sundazed to do it since they have the distribution and would handle things I wouldn't have to, like artwork, however, these tracks are too good to remain in the vaults, so to speak.

Work Tapes - ya know, I love the vocals on that CD...I think they are probably the best of anything released by David to date (not including his upcoming release)  However, as a general rule, MIDI drums just irk me...sorry.  After adding Bamboo Shack to his live shows 2 years ago, he decided to re-record it for his new CD...with a live drummer.

I was testing out a MySpace page for David for his new CD...it doesn't have the final versions of his tracks so I haven't announced it's up, however you can get a pretty good idea where he's going with it.  The new version of Bamboo Shack is currently posted as well as a few others and an alt. take  of Sheriff of Noddingham.

www.MySpace.com/davidmarks

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »

What?  No mention of My Dad's Truck as band members?
;-)

The page looks good, Carrie.  When is the new album looking like being released, any idea yet?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »

Maybe we should start an e-mail campaign with Sundazed to get the Marksmen CD released- or maybe someone here knows how to get a petition page going.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »

I'm just listening to his songs on myspace.com and I think he would've been a great songwriting addition to the BBs, if he had stayed with them in Brian's "lost" years. In fact I heard Mike asked him to return in the early 70s during "Surf's Up" (album). Wonder if Bruce must have gone if David came back.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 06:32:24 PM »

As I recall, David at some point said he was asked to come back and play bass, which he didn't want to do.  Don't remember if it was that time frame or not.  Might make sense if Bruce was leaving, if he was still playing bass on stage, that is. Could have been a whole different situation for all I remember about what I read. Glad he's back in action in any event and getting some of the credit and publicity he's due.  BTW, Carrie mentioned he played a classical Bach piece for his D&B audition.  On guitar?  Wow! Now THAT is impressive. Would sure like to hear some of his recorded music.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 07:01:12 PM »

Maybe we should start an e-mail campaign with Sundazed to get the Marksmen CD released- or maybe someone here knows how to get a petition page going.

Not a bad idea.  A little pressure couldn't hurt, I guess. 
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »

I'm just listening to his songs on myspace.com and I think he would've been a great songwriting addition to the BBs, if he had stayed with them in Brian's "lost" years. In fact I heard Mike asked him to return in the early 70s during "Surf's Up" (album). Wonder if Bruce must have gone if David came back.

Songwriting was one of the (many) reasons David left the band...he wasn't too thrilled with the fact Murry wouldn't let the Beach Boys record his original songs. Hindsight reveals that not allowing David to contribute songs was a great way of getting him to quit.

Not only would he have been a great addition to the band in the 70's as both a songwriter and as a guitar player with some b@lls, but he could have really helped take some of the pressure off Brian in the mid 60's, too.  David's Marksmen era tunes had their own style, but it's easy to imagine how the Beach Boys vocals could have taken David's original music to whole new level. 
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 07:27:31 PM »

As I recall, David at some point said he was asked to come back and play bass, which he didn't want to do.  Don't remember if it was that time frame or not.  Might make sense if Bruce was leaving, if he was still playing bass on stage, that is. Could have been a whole different situation for all I remember about what I read. Glad he's back in action in any event and getting some of the credit and publicity he's due.  BTW, Carrie mentioned he played a classical Bach piece for his D&B audition.  On guitar?  Wow! Now THAT is impressive. Would sure like to hear some of his recorded music.

David studied classical composition at the New England Conservatory and Jazz guitar at Berklee in the early 70's...he also studied with Vincente Gomez prior to that - in the late 60's.  His classical chops are very good - even today.  He does a version of  Villa Lobos' Etude #1 in E minor which is amazing....it's by far my favorite piece that he does.  I think his classical influence is most evident in the song 1969, which is available on his MySpace site...which makes sense since 1969 was the year he decided to take his  guitar playing seriously. 

It was while he was studing in Boston that he ran into the Beach Boys...I'll save the details for the book, but that is when Mike asked him to rejoin....during the recording of the Surf's UP album.  Carl wanted David to play bass but after a year and a half of intense studying, the last thing David wanted to do was play bass on Beach Boy songs.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 09:50:47 PM »

I can really hear that "1969" song on Sunflower or Surf's Up- layered with backing vocals and the Desper touch.  Maybe the title suggests that period, but it's also the mood...

Listen again and throw Carl and Al and Mike and Bruce in their behind Dave...you can't miss it.

I can also hear Dave writing with Dennis.  A shame that never happened.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 09:52:35 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 02:55:53 AM »

Not only would he have been a great addition to the band in the 70's as both a songwriter and as a guitar player with some b@lls, but he could have really helped take some of the pressure off Brian in the mid 60's, too.  David's Marksmen era tunes had their own style, but it's easy to imagine how the Beach Boys vocals could have taken David's original music to whole new level. 

Add this to the long list of lost BB opportunities.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 09:33:37 AM »

A lost BB opportunity, yes, but not necessarily one for David.  Having just been intensely studying classical guitar, why on earth would he want to play bass for the Beach Boys?  And that's not a knock on the Beach Boys - heaven forbid! - but a no-brainer.  If you've been working at a very high level at something, you just do not want to take three steps backwards.  I totally understand David's decision at the time....but yeah, he would surely have added some cool stuff to the mix....

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 09:50:34 AM »

I can really hear that "1969" song on Sunflower or Surf's Up- layered with backing vocals and the Desper touch.  Maybe the title suggests that period, but it's also the mood...

Listen again and throw Carl and Al and Mike and Bruce in their behind Dave...you can't miss it.

It also sounds a bit like Fleetwood Mac, Bobby Welch era. Good song.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 10:20:11 AM »

I've read those Mike comments about remeeting David and David becoming a 'fine young man' etc.  Those are in the Kingley Abbot book.   

Carrie, are you David's mother, wife, sister?

Smiley
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 10:29:47 AM »

She's David's wife.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 12:29:22 PM »

Having just been intensely studying classical guitar, why on earth would he want to play bass for the Beach Boys?  And that's not a knock on the Beach Boys - heaven forbid! - but a no-brainer.  If you've been working at a very high level at something, you just do not want to take three steps backwards.

I studied classical guitar at a very high level before and during college...and I think I'd jump at the opportunity to play bass for a band I liked.

But, as they say, horses for courses.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 12:44:39 PM »

Surely more footage of Dave with the Beach Boys exists.. what do you call this?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 01:17:16 PM »

Surely more footage of Dave with the Beach Boys exists.. what do you call this?
that's from One Man's Challenge

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »

I can also hear Dave writing with Dennis.  A shame that never happened.

Larry Brown mixed the track 1969.  He was the engineer/producer/drummer from The Moon, David's band from '67-'69, so there is a certain amount of that late 60's vibe going on there - lyrics aside. 

I also agree that Dennis and David could have really done some amazing work together.  They also would have caused some serious trouble together as well.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 02:14:18 PM »

I studied classical guitar at a very high level before and during college...and I think I'd jump at the opportunity to play bass for a band I liked.

The difference is, David never consider the Beach Boys, "THE BEACH BOYS", like the rest of the world.  At that time, to him, they were just a bunch of guys he grew up with...flawed people that he loved, but he'd already made peace with his decision to leave.  I think the *step backwards* applies not just to the music, but also emotionally.

Now, if Frank Zappa had offered him a job as a bass player, maybe that would be a different story.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx