gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 12:48:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR single now #21 on Japan Hot 100  (Read 4930 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »

http://www.billboard.com//song/the-beach-boys/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio/28931945#//song/the-beach-boys/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio/28931945
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »

good on them!

I don't think it will chart in America because many americans have their ears up their assh*les listening to their contemporary R&B artists who spew out large quantities of the least memorable songs in the history of recorded music.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »

God Made The Radio....

(But Satan controls the playlist)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »

God Made The Radio....

(But Satan controls the playlist)

Evil Brian, Dennis, & Carl  Evil
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:18:31 AM by LostArt » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »

The paste below is from the New York Post's excellent review of the Beacon shows. One would thing that with all the great press, reviews, soaring album sales, historically successful Fallon appearance, etc., that the single would chart.  I will keep hoping, though Mr. Boyd's words are very powerful; perhaps we ought not to measure success by charting?  Will the album charting be just as satisfying?
------------------------------------

Even the group’s new single, “That’s Why God Made the Radio,” from their upcoming album, sounded like a classic Beach Boys number, with gorgeous harmonies and complex chord structures. But while the audience responded enthusiastically to this first new song from the band in years, that wasn’t why the fans were there. It was to see musical history, and they got their wish.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/music/surf_still_up_for_california_boys_HQpqGkbyHDMFgoVHLjWR0L#ixzz1uUP1pNER
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »

I thought the Japan chart rise to #21 was impressive considering it was #93 last week. It seems every record debuts at its peak these days and then falls. Nice to see something actually jump higher in the second week.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »

I took the liberty of posting the following on Jimmy Fallon's website, in the comments section to each video, concerning IMR and TWGMTR, respectively, in the hopes of supporting the new song and the BB in general. Hope it helps:

"This is one of the most beautiful performances in the history of American bands on television. The reunited BB, all the survivors, singing a complexly poignant song. They nailed the emotional detail and the harmonies. Jimmy Fallon, throughout the show, was a prince, a fan, a gentleman, and, all in all, this show was a historic tribute to the BB--what a bold move by Fallon to devote the program to the BB in this way. Thank you Jimmy for your brilliance in doing this. the Beach Boys are eternal."

"This is an amazingly complex choral piece, a fitting re-entry of the BB into contemporary consciousness, as the song is not merely nostalgia nor "remember when." Rather it expresses music's spiritual debt to the divine, in a sort of non-denominational way. Eastern, Western, it does not matter; God gave us music, the 'soundtrack to falling in love." The song is on the charts in Japan, and I hope it becomes a hit here. What a gift from the BB. I downloaded it from Amazon."

end of my quotations. . .
------------
I do have to say that someone is off in the top ranges in TWGMTR; the song is hard to sing, no? But they end on a lovely note--leaving us in harmony. Boy I hope it's a hit!
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:07:53 AM »

Down slightly to #25 now.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »

More proof that Japan is a sweet place to be a music fan!

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »

hehe japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxefT3vEkyw
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »

Gotta love it when Japanese people speak/sing English. They're simply missing a few phonetic sounds.  Grin

Cool nonetheless.  Smiley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »

Gotta love it when Japanese people speak/sing English. They're simply missing a few phonetic sounds.  Grin

It is cool, and possibly the first cover posted on youtube!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 03:21:30 AM »

Hey! What's that poster thingy behind them with the new album design!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 04:19:08 AM »

The Beach Boys are definitely considered hip (and good western music) among the (hip) young Japanese.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:22:08 AM »

who is monitoring the charts here in the US?
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »

who is monitoring the charts here in the US?

A lot of people, including myself. Nothing has charted on Billboard's charts except the Zinepak on the albums chart.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »

I'm sure they know more English than I know Japanese, but they're obviously not anywhere close to fluent.

Shiina Ringo (who legitimately rivals Brian as a songwriter, but that's another thread) has a lot better English and I think she just lived in the UK for a few months.  This isn't particularly a great example of her English or songwriting but a great cover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO5rTPl5IGI
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »

The Very Best Of The Beach B...
The Beach Boys

now back on the charts at 41 for albums

http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/the-beach-boys/4053
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »

Looks like we might be seeing a number one album from The Beach Boys here real soon like.  Cool Rock! Thumbs Up Serenade Ahhh! Banana group hug

No mas, por favor.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »

The Very Best Of The Beach B...
The Beach Boys

now back on the charts at 41 for albums

http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/the-beach-boys/4053

wow, very cool
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:12:07 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »

I'm sure they know more English than I know Japanese, but they're obviously not anywhere close to fluent.

Shiina Ringo (who legitimately rivals Brian as a songwriter, but that's another thread) has a lot better English and I think she just lived in the UK for a few months.  This isn't particularly a great example of her English or songwriting but a great cover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO5rTPl5IGI
I wasn't talking about vocabulary/grammar, but phonetics/phonology.  Wink Even a Japanese person who is absolutely fluent in English won't be able to pronounce each and every single sound in the English language correctly. Just as somebody 'like us' will habe problems with a few Japanese sounds.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »

Learning a foreign language is so incredibly hard. I wish mono-lingual anglophones would show more respect.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 12:19:07 AM »

The Japanese listening public tends to be more demanding on its songwriters - they prefer classically informed, intelligent chord sequences and melodies. In the US, it's about trends and immediate accessibility.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 01:00:07 AM »

The Japanese listening public tends to be more demanding on its songwriters - they prefer classically informed, intelligent chord sequences and melodies. In the US, it's about trends and immediate accessibility.

Huh really? interesting
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 01:16:14 AM »

Well, there are a lot of exceptions. But Japan's the kind of country that can embrace things like John Lennon's Double Fantasy in a way America could never. They can completely look past any cheese, probably partially because of the language barrier...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx