gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:15:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: here comes the night  (Read 2718 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2006, 10:01:32 AM »

anyone ever see this played live? im sure if anyone has it was the disco version, did they play it for 10 minutes? did it sound better than the recorded version or worse? id love to hear a story of the audience's reactions

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 11:35:26 AM »

I've always heard that the disco versions response was very poor. I've read that it was played once and they were boo'd, but I'm not entirely sure on how accurate that is.
I would love to hear that live version.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 12:07:14 PM »

I think the common story is they tried it once and practically got booed off the stage.  It's certainly not to everyone's taste but I have no problems with it for what it is and wouldn't have minded hearing it live at least once.  I would venture many people who don't like it were more turned off by disco as a genre as by that particular arrangement itself, plus the fact that the Boys looked like they just tried to jump on the bandwagon with it. And there's something to be said for that.  But in the end it's just a song.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 12:43:35 PM »

i agree, and would have loved to heard it in concert; say, didnt the Good Timin' in Knebworth liner notes say there was a poll taken in the UK of their fav BB tunes and Here Comes the Night was on there...and was considered to be on the set list, i could be wrong

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:53:32 PM »

I believe "Here Comes The Night" was "performed" on The Midnight Special in 1979, but it was lipsynched to the recorded single edit. Not positive, though...

In 1979, I tried to be open-minded about "Here Comes The Night", and actually liked the song. The vocals, both lead and background , were/are excellent. My biggest problem was the length of the album version - 11 minutes!  That eliminated potentially 3 other songs. Of course, L.A. was short timewise to begin with; they could've added a few extra tracks anyway...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 01:39:04 PM »

Here's somethin I've never understood:

Why were the Beach Boys vilified for trying disco, but the Bee Gees (a similar group) was given a free pass? Someone please explain that to me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »

Re: Billy's question on the Bee Gees, I think maybe it was because the Beach Boys had such a massive legacy  - 18 years of ground-breaking hit after hit after hit, practically defining West Coast/California music, certainly establishing it as a legitimate center , with a certain sound and quality.  They had few peers and were international icons, even accounting for the "down years" and a comeback or two.  The Bee Gees, as good as they were, I don't think had that same legacy, certainly not as large and  for so long.  That may have helped them get the "pass" in some quarters because, rightly or wrongly,  we always expected so much more from the Boys than a disco remake of a nifty Wild Honey tune, but, well, the Bee Gees, OK, looks like they're trying a band remake with a new sound, that's cool.  For the Beach Boys, it looked like a sell-out, particularly since Brian was also turning invisible again. When the Bee Gees hit it big with disco, I thought, oh, yeah, I kind of remember them from the late 60's don't I?  I don't know, just my quick take on it. Interested in others' views.  I must say, though, that I was fully  intrigued by the whole Here Comes The Night remake idea, as in, "how did they come up with that one 12 years later?"

I think John Stone is also correct - it was too long at the expense of other songs - whatever they were and however good they might or might not have been, that is.  Not sure what else was in the can at the time.  Been listening to that cd in the car the past few days - have always especiallly liked GT. LL, Full Sail and Goin' South.  The ones Dennis sings are fine too, just took more getting into with his voice at the time. Liked the album when it came out, still like it today.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »

I agree with NHC's post, and I'd like to piggyback on it if I could.

Timing was also a big issue with the Beach Boys entry into the disco scene. The guys were just a little late. By mid-1979, Disco music was still going strong, but I would say that the fad had already peaked, and people were just starting to get sick of it. It appeared that the Beach Boys were "jumping on the bandwagon" instead of adding something substantial to it, like the Bee Gees did; which is actually the way it played out.

Also, even though The Beach Boys and The Bee Gees were only a few years apart in age, the Beach Boys APPEARED older, and the Bee Gees appeared younger. I wonder how many kids viewed The Beach Boys as old, fat, graying men - playing young disco music.

And, yes, the old surf & turf image. They just couldn't escape it. It affected them with Pet Sounds, Smile, 15 Big Ones, and the "disco music". A surfer disco dancing! A tough cruiser shaking his booty! No way...   
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 06:06:02 PM »

Exactly, Sheriff.  The Bee Gees didn't have the baggage but they did have the look and the wherewithal  to pull it off.  Even if the Boys had been a couple of years earlier I don't think it would have worked any better.  They were who they were, or who they had been, perhaps more accurately, which still wasn't all that bad. But disco was not where they needed to be and it probably looked pretty dopey to their fans and the disco crowd both.  "Good Timin" it wasn't.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx