gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 01:26:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread For VIP Experiences  (Read 45607 times)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »

Over the years I've met Al, Bruce, Mike, along with Jeff F. Couldn't imagine paying for it tho.
I've been really lucky. I rode with Al in his limo and got back stage passes to his show when he was with Friends and Family in Green Bay WI. I was one of only four people to get into the sound check at Brian's first concert in Milwaukee. I slept on the same restricted access floor with the Beach Boys in Madison in 96. Rode up the elevator with Bruce, who didn't want to let me get on, until I showed him my key for the special elevator. So yeah, I know what it's like to have something special happen. ( BTW- GoofyJeff from this board can verify that this was all true)

Still, I would not have paid anything extra to have make any of those happen. Just sayin'
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:38:14 PM by jeffh » Logged
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »

My meet & greet is scheduled 2 weeks from today in Chicago.  Do they specifically tell you not to say anything to the guys aside from "hi"?  Do they say no putting hands on anyone's shoulder for the photo or something like that?
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »

It was enough of a crack to the ribs paying $115 for a floor ticket, so as a 20-year old with a part-time job I could never imagine paying 375 bucks just to get a picture with the guys. If I was entitled to at least a 2-5 minute conversation with one of them, I might have actually splurged for it. But with my tendency to take really awkward pictures, I think the quick snapshot would've done more harm to my only live Beach Boys experience than good. Would be very cool to be in the presence of my musical heroes though, if it were 225 or less I would've gone for it no question! But ever since meeting my other main musical idol (Mike Watt of the Minutemen/fIREHOSE) next to a pizza joint before a gig last year, where I got 5 minutes of musical words of wisdom for zilch and two closeup/arm-on-shoulder pictures for nada, I would feel a bit chumpy to fork over big bucks to meet someone who after all the talent and legacy, is just another human being.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »

Over the years I've met Al, Bruce, Mike, along with Jeff F. Couldn't imagine paying for it tho.
I've been really lucky. I rode with Al in his limo and got back stage passes to his show when he was with Friends and Family in Green Bay WI. I was one of only four people to get into the sound check at Brian's first concert in Milwaukee. I slept on the same restricted access floor with the Beach Boys in Madison in 96. Rode up the elevator with Bruce, who didn't want to let me get on, until I showed him my key for the special elevator. So yeah, I know what it's like to have something special happen. ( BTW- GoofyJeff from this board can verify that this was all true)

Still, I would not have paid anything extra to have make any of those happen. Just sayin'

We get it.  Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:48:51 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »

Hi Pet Sounder,

Say what you want when you get to meet the Beach Boys. Again, it will go by very fast. I got a small conversation going with Al, but only a couple of sentences before the host wanted to take the photo. I'm sure you can put your arms around them. I just kinda stood in the middle of them behind Brian's chair.

The guy in front of me was smart enough to shake all of their hands. Somehow I missed Mike. I just had my arm on the back of Brian's chair. Had rehearsed what I was gonna say to him, but could just think to say it was a pleasure to meet him. Got a quick "Thank you" from him.

I would encourage you to be last in line. You have a better chance of getting something signed then. Also, introduce yourself to Jeff Foskett. He stood in the back [behind the VIP Nation host, out of the picture], and I was stupid & didn't say hello to him. Again, it all goes by so quickly. That can also probably increase your chances of getting something signed. Say hello to security; say hi to the VIP Nation host. You never know, this could increase your chances of getting something signed.

Also, take a Sharpie or two with you. The guys might not have one, and if you have a marker in hand, another chance of getting something signed. Mainly, just be nice, but don't be afraid to take the moment & run with it. Life is too short.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:47:18 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »

"I would appreciate it if somebody posted pics of the hot wife!"

Ha---you just made my wife's day saying this! LOL

Kirk. Your wife lets you blow your tax refund on the Beach Boys and seems to have a good sense of humour.

She is a keeper! Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »

Not everyone is lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, or have the right contacts. Just sayin'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »

Hi Pet Sounder,

Say what you want when you get to meet the Beach Boys. Again, it will go by very fast. I got a small conversation going with Al, but only a couple of sentences before the host wanted to take the photo. I'm sure you can put your arms around them. I just kinda stood in the middle of them behind Brian's chair.

The guy in front of me was smart enough to shake all of their hands. Somehow I missed Mike. I just had my arm on the back of Brian's chair. Had rehearsed what I was gonna say to him, but could just think to say it was a pleasure to meet him. Got a quick "Thank you" from him.

I would encourage you to be last in line. You have a better chance of getting something signed then. Also, introduce yourself to Jeff Foskett. He stood in the back [behind the VIP Nation host, out of the picture], and I was stupid & didn't say hello to him. Again, it all goes by so quickly. That can also probably increase your chances of getting something signed. Say hello to security; say hi to the VIP Nation host. You never know, this could increase your chances of getting something signed.

Also, take a Sharpie or two with you. The guys might not have one, and if you have a marker in hand, another chance of getting something signed. Mainly, just be nice, but don't be afraid to take the moment & run with it. Life is too short.

Thanks for the advice jeremylr!  About how many others were part of the VIP with you?
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 06:21:52 AM »

Can anyone tell me what the free poster looks like that comes with the package? Is it the same one they are selling at the merchandise stands? Thanks
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »

I had a very disappointing VIP experience at Mohegan Sun on Saturday night. The event is billed as a "Meet and Greet", NOT JUST a photo opportunity. In fact, in the way the VIP package was marketed, the "meet and greet" was its own distinct benefit and was listed separately from the personal photo with the beach boys.  And the lanyard we were given says "meet and greet", not "photo op".  Thank God for this message board. If I had not read this board beforehand, it would have been a crushingly devastating experience, instead of a merely disappointing one.  In any event, from this Board, I understood that we would be lucky for them to even acknowledge us when it was our time to take the photo. So I was prepared for that, but then I spoke with the VIP host beforehand who insisted, that of course we could speak with them and introduce ourselves, etc. So my expectations shifted once again. But alas, the reviews on this board were correct, they did not acknowledge us at all. It was really weird. The only interaction I had at all was with Al. I basically had to tap his shoulder (which I really did not want to do) to get his attention. It was a 5 second conversation, but he was very, very nice. As I was leaving, I turned around and said "Bruce!" and held out my hand for him to shake. He limply extended his hand but said nothing and looked like he wanted to either or kill me. It was a cold, depressing moment and one that put me in a very weird way for the concert. I'm still not quite over it actually. The show was amazing, and experiencing the soundcheck was absolutely surreal, but overall the VIP was just a weird experience, and I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I have to say they have a very imposing presence. It just would have been nice for them to say "hi". That seriously would have made my night, but other than Al, I got just blank stares (if that). 
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 06:27:59 AM »

Can anyone tell me what the free poster looks like that comes with the package? Is it the same one they are selling at the merchandise stands? Thanks

It's totally lame (although one of the other VIPers I was speaking with - very nice lady - absolutely loved it).  It's a cheap looking silhouette of 5 beach boys (presumably Dave, Mike, Brian, Al, and Bruce) holding a surfboard, against a blue cloud background, which basically just lists all the dates. It's pretty small and it sucks. I considered not even taking it, but didn't want to be a jerk.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 06:35:05 AM »

Timmy, thanks for the info. That's too bad about your expierience. I've got mine next month and from what I've read I realize there won't be any kind of conversations but I'm hoping for at least a quick friendly handshake from each. That doesn't seem to be asking too much. I'm curious, were you one of the first ones to go through, or at the end? Not that that should have mattered.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »

Hey J.G. -  I was more towards the end. Not sure if that made a difference or not! That was one of the frustrating things about the experience (for me at least).  I was constantly wondering whether we as a group were being treated to the same experience as the VIPers at the other shows, and whether or not I was getting the same experience/treatment as the other VIPers in my group. I felt there was no accurate direction at all as to really what we could expect and what would be appropriate to do or not do. The vibe I got from the VIP host was totally different from the vibe I got from the Beach Boys when I was actually in the room.

My advice is this - stay cool, don't say excitedly "David! Mike!" (like I did which elicited the blank stares from David and Mike), pick ONE Beach Boy (my advice is either Mike or Al), and have ONE thing you want to say. My mom (took her for mother's day... aw....) had a extraordinarily brief but friendly interaction with Mike and Al.

Now, don't get me wrong, there were plenty of other people doing things OTHER than that, but unless you're really aggressive, my advice is to lower your expectations, and just focus on being cool and having a brief interaction with Mike or Al (although you may have to work to get their attention!).  As far as shaking their hands go, it's up to you as to what you think is ok to do.  A young girl in front of me kissed them all, and that seemed to go over well (I think - it's all kind of hazy). But I was NOT getting the vibe that walking in FRONT of them to shake their hands before standing behind them for the photo was AT ALL a cool thing to do.

The whole thing left me weirded out a bit, but writing about it is therapeutic, so thanks!

PS - I'm sure you will have a great time. The soundcheck was insane (as in amazing). Although the only acknowledgment we received from anyone was two hand waves from Bruce.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »

Although I understand that the guys must get quite tired of all these meet and greets/pictures, if VIP Nation are charging so much for top VIP tickets you do really expect more. After all, the people who are buying those are true fans who are willing to part with savings. I don't reckon it's the band's fault at all, they are almost certainly just told what to do and want to focus on the gig but it is sad to hear people's accounts on here that have left them a little disappointed. That really shouldn't be the case. These are lifelong fans.

I am glad that this message board has given people the correct information about the gigs but isn't that sad? On the other hand, to be in the same room as a Beach Boy, well that is amazing itself and we should think of it like that.

I hope that future VIPers here get a better deal and that if they bring that kind of thing over to the UK, it isn't too expensive and is not as badly organised!
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »

On the other hand, to be in the same room as a Beach Boy, well that is amazing itself and we should think of it like that.

Totally agree.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »

I'm just curious if there were any fans who have contacted the promoter(s) and organizers of these events to voice their disappointment or the feeling that it wasn't quite what was expected. The flip-side of it is the question are there more dissatisfied fans who paid the extra price for this than fans who feel the experience exceeded their expectations?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

I'm just curious if there were any fans who have contacted the promoter(s) and organizers of these events to voice their disappointment or the feeling that it wasn't quite what was expected. The flip-side of it is the question are there more dissatisfied fans who paid the extra price for this than fans who feel the experience exceeded their expectations?
See, that is the thing. Basically, we are paying a couple hundred dollars more for this VIP pass. When I hear words like Meet, Greet, I get this feeling that there should be some vocal interaction when these two things occur. The pic thing is listed as a separate item and can see not getting anything more or less. Whatever occurs during my visit in June, I am not going to let it ruin the overall experience and concert.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:07:35 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
darling
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »

The event is billed as a "Meet and Greet", NOT JUST a photo opportunity. In fact, in the way the VIP package was marketed, the "meet and greet" was its own distinct benefit and was listed separately from the personal photo with the beach boys.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I hope that you contact VIPNation, politely expressing your displeasure, and report back on their response. It could be that the folks at the head office don't know what's happening on tour. Maybe it'll get fixed for future events. Maybe you'll get some kind of compensation. Maybe they won't care. But if you don't tell them, you'll never know.

Although I understand that the guys must get quite tired of all these meet and greets/pictures ... I don't reckon it's the band's fault at all, they are almost certainly just told what to do and want to focus on the gig...

If the band signed up for a meet and greet, are taking money to do a meet and greet, and are promising a meet and greet then I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect a meet and greet.

It's impossible to say whether it's the fault of the band for not living up to their commitments, or the fault of the promoters for promising more than the band had agreed. Either way, there's some miscommunication somewhere.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »

Wow.  After reading about Timmy's experience, I'm glad I didn't spring for the VIP tickets. I woulda been disappointed too.

Limp handshake from Bruce? Not surprised. Met him in the early 80's when he was helping Mike promote the Beach Boys line of clothes at Macy's. I brought along Brad Elliott's Surf's Up book for he and Mike to sign. The line for autographs was moving along. Mike signed the book, but was flirting with some model and wouldn't give me the time of day. "Hi, my name is "Looooove. Michael Love", he said to her. I got to Bruce and asked him to sign my book. He signed it, but the whole time he pretty much ignored what I was saying to him, and was too engrossed in a dumb conversation with a fat sales lady. No handshake, and the line moved on. I came away with a bad taste in my mouth...

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »

Timmy, sorry to hear that you had an iffy time at the Meet/Greet.  These things can be hit or miss.

But, I can't imagine anyone really expecting much from these corporate meet/greets.  These things are run with such precision that it's impossible to assume you'll be getting quality time with the band.  And when you have about a hundred people to get through...how exactly would they guarantee everyone getting the same experience?  Sure, you're not actually having time to sit and talk to them but to argue semantics that it's not really a meet and greet...a little silly.  You did get to meet them.  It's not like they were cardboard cut-outs of the guys...they were right there.  Right next to you in the same room.  So...the "meet and greet" so to speak was delivered.  Wink Had they only sold maybe ten passes for these meet/greets, I think you would've seen a more calmer expereince with time for everyone to mingle and say a few words.  From the sound of it, they moved you in like cattle to get through the large number of people.  That's just how it's going to go.  Plus, I'm sure the band themselves doesn't want to exert too much energy way before the show has started.  They probably want to make it as effortless for the band as possible.  So they just sit there whlie everyone passes through.  It doesn't sound like a fun time...but I totally see their point.  I'm not saying that you have no right to be upset about the whole thing but when you look at the logistics of this when you keep in mind how many people they have to go through for each meet/greet and plus they have to do this every night on the tour...you can kinda see how they made it easy for them...but not so great for us... Undecided
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your thoughts. This is the therapy I needed (I acknowledge how sad and pathetic it is that I needed therapy as a result of my Beach Boys meet and greet experience!!! Damn you Bruce!!!!  LOL)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

A paid meet and greet is a lot like going to a hooker. You're going to get screwed and it isn't going to be very good!!! ( so I've been told)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »

Wow, all of this sounds quite sad
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »

Was anyone able to get autographs from the guys?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »

Timmy, sorry to hear that you had an iffy time at the Meet/Greet.  These things can be hit or miss.

But, I can't imagine anyone really expecting much from these corporate meet/greets.  These things are run with such precision that it's impossible to assume you'll be getting quality time with the band.  And when you have about a hundred people to get through...how exactly would they guarantee everyone getting the same experience?  Sure, you're not actually having time to sit and talk to them but to argue semantics that it's not really a meet and greet...a little silly.  You did get to meet them.  It's not like they were cardboard cut-outs of the guys...they were right there.  Right next to you in the same room.  So...the "meet and greet" so to speak was delivered.  Wink Had they only sold maybe ten passes for these meet/greets, I think you would've seen a more calmer expereince with time for everyone to mingle and say a few words.  From the sound of it, they moved you in like cattle to get through the large number of people.  That's just how it's going to go.  Plus, I'm sure the band themselves doesn't want to exert too much energy way before the show has started.  They probably want to make it as effortless for the band as possible.  So they just sit there whlie everyone passes through.  It doesn't sound like a fun time...but I totally see their point.  I'm not saying that you have no right to be upset about the whole thing but when you look at the logistics of this when you keep in mind how many people they have to go through for each meet/greet and plus they have to do this every night on the tour...you can kinda see how they made it easy for them...but not so great for us... Undecided

man I couldn't disagree more!  When people pay for a "MEET AND GREET" they rightly expect an experience  to be treasured, not simply being in the same room with them and getting to pose with a picture before being rushed off for the next "chump" in line.   And for anyone to claim that the Beach Boys as a group/individually don't know what's going on is almost beyond belief.
It doesn't matter how many people are in the line! They're selling a product( the meet and greet) and they have to allow timer for everyone or not sell them. I'm certain they're only to happy to have the $$. 
 based on these reports I'm doubly glad I haven't gone for the VIP packages. 
If I were Timmy C, and I had paid for this with a credit card, I'd be contacting VIP nation to express my disgust and asking for a substantial refund of the amount; and if that doesn't fly, I'd be contacting the credit card carrier and protesting that you didn't get what you paid for. In Fact, I'd contact the card company first, and then VIP. You stand a good chance of getting some $$ back. Screw the BBS if this is the best they can do.
Limp-wristed pricks be damned

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx