gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:16:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread For VIP Experiences  (Read 45565 times)
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

Can we start a thread for people to share their experiences with the VIP packages?  There have been a few reports mixed in with the show reviews, but not nearly as many reports as I would have expected.  Has anyone else been through the VIP experience yet?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »

Can we start a thread for people to share their experiences with the VIP packages?  There have been a few reports mixed in with the show reviews, but not nearly as many reports as I would have expected.  Has anyone else been through the VIP experience yet?

This would be interesting to hear; but I imagine that most of the people buying the VIP's don't post here
I would like to know, tho, when someone buys the VIP package, can they have others in their family/ friends circle be in the picture they get with the BBs, or do they have to pay individually for every person in their picture?   (Dave Beard, where are you? You must know the answer to this, and probably have had your pic taken at least twice?  )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »

Thanks for starting this. I found this account on tumblr and it seems pretty consistent with what I have read elsewhere:

We only heard the Carl tribute bc we had to line up for the M&G. It goes fast. Don’t blink or you’ll have a picture of your eyelids. And if you have dreams of going, “Hey, how about tossing in ‘Stoked’ tonight so David can shred?” don’t bc you’ll hold up the line. We were told point blank they’re not really chatty. But the funny thing is when my wife walked in ahead of me, Mike’s eyeballs popped out of his head. My wife is 48, a year older than me, and I like to think of her as hot stuff. Apparently Mike and I have the same taste. He squeezed in tight and then made a point of shaking her hand. That made him obliged to shake mine. He was very friendly, though. http://cheapocheapo.tumblr.com/post/22058099673/oh-and-im-sure-some-of-you-have-seen-this-but-i

Also the set up of the pictures look reallllllly awkward. Kind of disappointing but I'm still excited.

For anyone who has been to one of these, do you get to meet the band? Jeff and Scotts and Darian, etc?
MBE
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »

It would be neat if you could actually talk to each of them for 5-10 minutes but I wouldn't pay so much even for that. I like them but they are just people like you or me albeit with more talent.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »

In St. Augustine, meeting the Beach Boys for the photo lasted all of 30 seconds, tops. A few folks were able to get stuff signed if they were at the very end of the line. Expect security to tell you to move on, and the VIP host will say that nothing can be signed. Perhaps if you plead your case...

If you & your family/friends bought the VIP ticket, I'm sure you could all get a photo with the BB. Brian was seated, Mike & David were on side, Al & Bruce were on another.  VIP Nation hasn't released my photo yet, so that's all I can offer. You can probably get a few sentences in to whichever Beach Boy you're standing next to, but keep in mind that the VIP host may take the photo while you're talking... Personally, I wish they would allow more interaction with the band due to the steep price.  The backing band was not present for the photo session. I take that back for a second -- Jeff Foskett was there. I wish they all had been.

Getting to see the soundcheck was the biggest thing to me. Beware: The T-shirt they give you is really crappy. You can just about see through it. Probably cost them a few dollars at the most. But the black VIP tote bag was cool. I wish they had used the pic on the tote bag [Beach Boys 50th with classic Brother logo] for the t-shirt.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:32:27 PM by jeremylr » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »

I would appreciate it if somebody posted pics of the tote bag & shirt. I don't believe anybody has yet.

No mas, por favor.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »

I would appreciate it if somebody posted pics of the hot wife! Wink

No seriously, Mike and Bruce once again let down the group with the shirt and shorts in that picture.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »

Here you go. The shirt just came out of the clothes dryer. The image used for the tote bag is very similar to the black t-shirt being offered for sale on the official BB's website. Except it costs $35, doesn't have the band member's individual names on the bottom, and has the tour dates on the back. I was talking to my mom -- I think I've convinced her to take the tote bag to a graphic tee artist & use it to make a brand-new shirt for me. Kind of an early birthday present.

http://thebeachboys.shop.bravadousa.com/Product.aspx?cp=55723&pc=BGCTBZ02
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:46:44 AM by jeremylr » Logged
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:38:38 AM by jeremylr » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:27 AM »

Nice. That tote bag is pretty sweet. Thanks for posting.

No mas, por favor.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »

I don't think I said it above -- but the main reasons I went with the VIP thing:

1.  I figured it was my only opportunity to be in the band's presence.
2.  I wanted to sit close to the stage.
3.  Access to the soundcheck (it lasted an hour)
4.  Photo with the band

I could have paid $450 for front row seats, but I stuck with $375 for tickets within the 1st five rows. I wound up in the second row, since I purchased my package the minute it went on sale. As others have said, concerts in larger cities commanded much higher prices. Regardless, it's the most I've ever paid to see an artist, but it seems reasonable that the guys may not tour together again...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »

Regardless, it's the most I've ever paid to see an artist, but it seems reasonable that the guys may not tour together again...
I didn't splurge on the VIP packages for a few reasons, the biggest one being that I've already met all of them in the past, albeit separately, and have had the privilege of being at some soundchecks.  However, I did splurge on tickets to 3 shows, with good seats for all of them, and taking dates to 2 of them.  Total ticket costs for 5 tickets to 3 shows: Roughly $500!  But for the reason you stated above, it will be completely worth it!  Smiley One of my biggest regrets after becoming a fan in 1991 is getting the cheap seats at one of the post-baseball-game shows at Jack Murphy Stadium in 1994, and sitting behind the band, which was very far away.  It was the only time that I got to see Carl, and there I was watching thru binoculars. For a measly $5 or so, I could have at least had a front view of the stage, and for about $20 more, I could have had some decent seats.  I never want to repeat a mistake like that again when it comes to the Beach Boys.  I'm going to take every opportunity I can to see them.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 04:40:10 AM »

In St. Augustine, meeting the Beach Boys for the photo lasted all of 30 seconds, tops. A few folks were able to get stuff signed if they were at the very end of the line. Expect security to tell you to move on, and the VIP host will say that nothing can be signed. Perhaps if you plead your case...

If you & your family/friends bought the VIP ticket, I'm sure you could all get a photo with the BB. Brian was seated, Mike & David were on side, Al & Bruce were on another.  VIP Nation hasn't released my photo yet, so that's all I can offer. You can probably get a few sentences in to whichever Beach Boy you're standing next to, but keep in mind that the VIP host may take the photo while you're talking... Personally, I wish they would allow more interaction with the band due to the steep price.  The backing band was not present for the photo session. I take that back for a second -- Jeff Foskett was there. I wish they all had been.

Getting to see the soundcheck was the biggest thing to me. Beware: The T-shirt they give you is really crappy. You can just about see through it. Probably cost them a few dollars at the most. But the black VIP tote bag was cool. I wish they had used the pic on the tote bag [Beach Boys 50th with classic Brother logo] for the t-shirt.

How do they get the picture to you?  Do they send you a link to an online download?  I'm a bit nervous about this.  I've never been to a meet and greet where they didn't let you use your own camera.  But, it will be nice to have a profesional take the picture.  The group picture with the whole band is what I'm really looking forward to.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 08:51:18 AM »

Yes, VIP Nation will send an email approximately 2 weeks after the show is over. I think the photos will then be available on smugmug, and VIP Nation will give everyone a unique password to retrieve their photo.

Eric...now I envy you. At least you were in Carl's presence from afar. Thanks for sharing your story.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:52:32 AM by jeremylr » Logged
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »

Hey - thanks for starting this thread. I got my itinerary last night for the Saturday show at Mohegan Sun. To be honest, I feel pretty sick over the amount of money I've spent on this. The Saturday show was one of the first to go on sale, if not the first, and it was before VIP packages were being offered. So you could only get an "upgrade" meaning you missed out a huge part of the VIP package, i.e. seating in the first couple of rows. Even though I bought my tickets as soon as they became available, we're still in the nosebleed section. Anyway, later on the "upgrades" became available for $350 a piece (I think). Turns out all I'm really getting for this is access to soundcheck, the photo, and ten seconds with the Beach Boys where I'm lucky if they acknowledge my presence. All told, I probably spent $800-900 for two tickets where there is apparently NO MEET AND GREET (not cool that they advertise it as such) and nosebleed seats. Sorry to complain - but I just feel like a dunce, to be honest. Nevertheless, I'm still very excited and am really looking forward to it.

BY THE WAY! - the itinerary includes a link to photos from the other meet and greets so I checked em all out. I agree with the poster that the arrangement is a little weird, BUT - BUT - wait for it.... everyone is smiling and happy (except Mike).... even including... wait for it.... BRIAN!!!!! Seriously, every single picture I looked at he was smiling and looked genuinely happy! It was really cool, and it will be AWESOME to have ME in a picture with BRIAN WILSON -SMILING! how cool is that??? It also confirmed for me that despite his ways on stage, etc., I think he is genuinely happy to be on this tour, and although awkward, loves the adulation. Two things come to mind: 1) he's said over and over again that his desire is to bring people pleasure. Well, here he is doing that in bigger numbers that anything he's seen in the last 15 years. the idea that he's being forced to do this is ridiculous. 2) Although estrange from them for the past 15 years, we cannot underestimate how much the Beach Boys are a part of Brian's soul. He loves the Beach Boys and always wanted this to happen (his past inconsistent statement, to the contrary, I think).

Thanks for hearing me out as I procrastinate at work waiting for Saturday to come!
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »

"I would appreciate it if somebody posted pics of the hot wife!"

Ha---you just made my wife's day saying this! LOL

I'll admit it: when I took our tax refund and used it for the meet and greets, I had dreams of a spiritual communing with each individual Beach Boy saying such awesomely Chris Farley insightful things like, "Hey Mike, I can't decide whether I like the 4/4 or the 3/4 version of 'Big Sur.' What's your pref?" Or to Brian: "Hey, remember that time in 1980 at the Saginaw Civic Center when a ballcap came flying out of the audience in the middle of 'Goin' On' and hit you in the shoulder, sending you about 8 inches off the piano bench? Yeah, that was my idiot friend Craig whom I beat the sh*t out of on the way home bc he did that." I even dreamed of pulling out my 1977 BBFUN newsletter and dazzling the guys with the longevity of my fandom. Ultimately, I would imagine talking with each and everyone of us would tire the guys out more than 100 concerts in 100 dates. At some level, it has to be exhausting to have people tell you all the time how much their music has added to their lives, yadda yadda. Granted, not as exhausting as  ditchdigging. Still, all of the guys were very cool during our 30 seconds in that room. They said hello, made eye contact, smiled. They respected what it meant for us to (yes, pay for) that opportunity. Maybe that's as much as a fan has a right to ask for---I dunno. I do know the experience must have been enough for me bc ten days later I'm still reliving every one of those 30 seconds. So I feel lucky Uncle Sam refunded us enough to splurge and have a memory I'll treasure.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

Oh yeah, Jeff Foskett was behind the VIP Nation host as everyone stepped forward to get their pic with The Beach Boys. He told Brian several times to smile. So maybe it is working.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »

It's a disgrace that any group would agree to a "for fee" meet and greet.  This should have been free to the fans, as a thank you for their support of the band over all of these years.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

Right, because that's so practical for the crowds at these venues.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »

It's a disgrace that any group would agree to a "for fee" meet and greet.  This should have been free to the fans, as a thank you for their support of the band over all of these years.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No seriously, Mike and Bruce once again let down the group with the shirt and shorts in that picture.

And by "let down" do you mean "turn the heat up to a tropical fever pitch of awesomeness"?

Yes I have fully come to terms with the fact that I spent way too much money on this but the mere fact that I'm going to be able to come face to face with my heroes ultimately justifies it for me. Really, I think I would pay twice as much for that (since I haven't been as lucky as others who have had the experience before.)

Maybe I'll try to like..... put an elbow on Mike's shoulder or do a from-behind hug to Brian. I just really don't like the idea of just standing there.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted pictures and told accounts.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »

It would probably be hard to let 10,000 people a night get a personal picture with the band.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »

"I would appreciate it if somebody posted pics of the hot wife!"

Ha---you just made my wife's day saying this! LOL

I'll admit it: when I took our tax refund and used it for the meet and greets, I had dreams of a spiritual communing with each individual Beach Boy saying such awesomely Chris Farley insightful things like, "Hey Mike, I can't decide whether I like the 4/4 or the 3/4 version of 'Big Sur.' What's your pref?" Or to Brian: "Hey, remember that time in 1980 at the Saginaw Civic Center when a ballcap came flying out of the audience in the middle of 'Goin' On' and hit you in the shoulder, sending you about 8 inches off the piano bench? Yeah, that was my idiot friend Craig whom I beat the sh*t out of on the way home bc he did that." I even dreamed of pulling out my 1977 BBFUN newsletter and dazzling the guys with the longevity of my fandom. Ultimately, I would imagine talking with each and everyone of us would tire the guys out more than 100 concerts in 100 dates. At some level, it has to be exhausting to have people tell you all the time how much their music has added to their lives, yadda yadda. Granted, not as exhausting as  ditchdigging. Still, all of the guys were very cool during our 30 seconds in that room. They said hello, made eye contact, smiled. They respected what it meant for us to (yes, pay for) that opportunity. Maybe that's as much as a fan has a right to ask for---I dunno. I do know the experience must have been enough for me bc ten days later I'm still reliving every one of those 30 seconds. So I feel lucky Uncle Sam refunded us enough to splurge and have a memory I'll treasure.

Thanks Kirk - that was an awesome (and hilarious) post
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »

Yeah, Kirk, that was good.   Grin

BBFUN (Beach Boys Freaks United) newsletter in the 70's from good ol' Alice Lillie.  Good times....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »

I don't regret splurging for the VIP package at the Dallas show. True, the "meet and greet" is really neither meet nor greet; it's step behind the boys and smile for 5 seconds. Still, there were remarks from Bruce, Mike, and Al while waiting in line that were fun to hear and respond to. Brian's main concern was getting to the food...but I knew my fantasy encounter with him would likely remain a fantasy. The resulting picture, though, is just great and everyone who's seen it has been jealous or awe-struck.
I would gladly have done without the limited-edition poster, tote bag, and ticket for a really cool-looking shirt that was not available for sale elsewhere. As remarked earlier, the shirt we got is very cheap feeling and (I think) rather feminine in design.
Observing sound check was fun. Hearing the interaction of the band members and realizing that they were literally still figuring out how to do some of the songs was very interesting.
And my front-row, center seat was just awesome. I felt immersed in the concert. It was probably the 8th or 9th time I've seen the BBs, but it was more meaningful and sentimental than any of the others. Three memories from the encore, when people were able to swarm down front: 1. A small girl, about five or six, seated on her mom's shoulders, reaching out toward the stage as though she was seeing an angel, the look on her face was awe and pure childlike joy. Bruce spotted her, left the stage for a moment, and came back to give her a cap or t-shirt. 2. A middle-aged woman in the crowd. Her left hand had no fingers on it. Her right arm ended abruptly halfway down the forearm. Yet, when I looked back at the crowd, I noticed her, waving both arms in the air and wearing the biggest grin on her face. It truly felt like a religious experience and, knowing how Brian defines music, it may have actually been a case of hearing God's voice. 3. Another young girl, this one about 10 or 11. She came down front with her dad during the encore. She was obviously wearing what felt like high fashion to her, a flapper-style dress covered in silver sequins, with a matching silver hairband. After the concert was over and the arena had mostly cleared out, I found myself walking behind her and her dad and I overheard her say, "That was like the best day of my whole life." Still makes me a little teary.
That's what was so great about this show and this tour. Forget the autotune crap, forget the songs missing from the list, forget the past hard feeling among the BBs. This was a night of harmony--in every way--and I am content, even if I never see another Beach Boys show, that there has been closure and a fitting postscript to 50 years of music which changed the lives of not just those five guys onstage...it changed me, too.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »

Still waiting for the picture of the hot wife.  Smokin

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx