gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680850 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:57:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Empty Glass  (Read 1119 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »

Anyone ever heard this? I'd say this is Pete Townshend's "Pet Sounds"

Very personal, variety, all around 5 stars IMO!

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »

I see it more as his "Plastic Ono Band", but then such comparisons are ultimately useless - it's a great album all on its own terms.  I Am An Animal is a favorite off this. 
I'd recommend the two solo albums he followed this up with: All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes and White City.   
CE has spoken word bits that many people dislike, but I think they're alright and the album contains some great songs - Sea Refuses No River, Exquisitely Bored, Uniforms, Communication, Stardom In Action (to name a few I like in particular).
WC (subtitled, "A Novel") is also really good.  I like Give Blood (though I've heard that one trounced a number of times), Second Hand Love, Crashing By Design, and of course the goofy Face The Face (to name a few). 
I never really got into the Iron Man album, though perhaps I should re-listen to that sometime, it may strike me differently now.  And I admittedly virtually ignored Psychoderelict, so can't say as to its merits. 
I love Pete though, and I look forward to reading his auto-biography.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:18:33 PM »

I have some problems with the production on post-"Empty Glass" Pete albums.  They sound so 80s to me, absolutely the worst decade for production values.  Electronic AND cheesey.  I hear all those synths and drum machines and I just can't get any further.  And yet "Empty Glass" does connect.  Maybe it's the songs.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »

True about that 80's production, but Pete's stuff from that time holds up for me better than many, and maybe because he'd been "synthesized" for awhile by that point.  IMO they're all really good albums.  I like the songs a lot.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx