gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:43:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 10: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY 5/9/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 58329 times)
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »

Dear Beach Boys, your setlist is getting better and better.
Now, if you would eliminate all the hits and replace them with obscure album tracks, this place would make triple back saltos.
Thanks in advance!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 05:20:17 AM »

Now, if you would eliminate all the hits and replace them with obscure album tracks, this place would make triple back saltos.
Thanks in advance!

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 05:55:02 AM »

I'm a little bummed they dropped The Little Girl I Once Knew.
Add it back for the Bethlehem show next week, puh-lease? That's a fantastic song, one of my favorites.

Ditto for me! 

My 1st BB 45!

It is a great song!  Wink
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:08 AM »

I'm seeing them Saturday, so I'm really excited that we could get Add Some Music AND Marcella. I hope they stay in the set!

And I tried not to bitch because of how much I love these songs, but hey-- as a BB fan on a message board, it feels like my duty to complain. I really wished they had dropped one of the covers or car songs instead of Little Girl I Once Knew, which is a great song they've been kicking ass on throughout this tour.

Ah well. No matter what they play, I'll be in heaven.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 06:23:49 AM »

Thanks in advance!
Yea, and the theater audience would look like their 1968 visit to New York. Don't get me wrong, I love when they do the deeper cuts, but there is not a damn thing wrong with any of their hits. I'm proud of my Boys!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 06:59:07 AM »

Gee, I got the  Roll Eyes from AGD. I musta said something real obvious, like it was a "Duh" moment. Now I feel soooooo dumb, eh?  Roll Eyes

I was just speculating. It ain't obvious to me that Foskett or Totten or whoever is reading this board and feeding back our song requests to the band. Not sure that it really matters what we want in their setlists.  But if it does.....

Darlin' and Breakaway and California Saga please!  And Funky Pretty would be cool too!

Man, we're sure getting some great songs out of this tour!

Oh, wait!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:39:27 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »

Justin,

did you notice if this show was being filmed for future use in a dvd by chance?  Also, you're an LA guy, right?  You flew to NY just for this show?  You called that one right...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »

And another thing, Scott Totten (or whoever else is reading), you've GOT TO do the Add Some Music/ Piano/ 2d set opening at the Hollywood Bowl. It is guaranteed to bring the 20,000 hometown fans to our feet. 

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 08:26:03 AM »

Justin,

did you notice if this show was being filmed for future use in a dvd by chance?  Also, you're an LA guy, right?  You flew to NY just for this show?  You called that one right...

I hope that every song will be recorded for future release. I couldn't stand not hearing e.g. "Marcella" from this band....

Oh yeah, Funky Pretty and Honkin' Down The Highway were awesome !   Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »

They opened the second set: the pitch black stage gains some light to reveal all the Beach Boys gathered around Brian's piano on the one end of the stage, (Al leaning on the piano), singing together, "Add Some Music To Your Day".  Photo Op of the century.  It's like they've been reading our diaries.  Everyone got their cameras out for that one.

I"ll post my video if no other clips are posted by others by Friday. 

"Photo Op of the century" he says. "Everyone got their cameras out for that one" he says.  Where the freak are the pictures?  Nothing posted here.  Nothing on facebook. Nothing on the freaking interwebs. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Come on guys.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »

Before Marcella began, Brian began playing the chords and humming the melody all by himself as the others looked on.  Brian has really, really perked up on these two Beacon shows.  It honestly looks like he's doing his own solo show over there in his corner, he's that more animated now than he was earlier in the tour.  He played a little piano bit during a moment in between songs and it made Mike laugh by the randomness of it.  Brian got another ovation after "I Just Wasn't Made..." (as he did last night) and he took in the applause and then said: "Okay, that's enough!"  Everyone on stage broke up.  The energy between Mike and Brian is intense...such...here it comes: good vibrations between those two.  It is SO obvious on stage.  Mike gave Brian several thumbs up and smiles throughout the show, as signs of support--all of which Brian accepted and responded back with either a nod or a big smile back.  In fact, EVERYONE on stage was showing their support of Brian.  David would just turn and smile to Brian, as if asking if he was okay.  Al would make eye contact and smile at Brian.  It was such a team effort.  Brian, I can, tell feeds off it.  There's nice interplay between Mike and Brian when Brian gets up to play the bass....Mike's up there smiling at him.  During the bows, Mike and Brian give each other pats on the back and both night whisper something to each other.  Such a great sight to see those two cousins together on stage.  I couldn't get enough of Brian standing there right next to Mike.  I took as many pictures as I could of those two.  I'll post later. 

Good post.  Thanks for that. 

Looking forward to the video clips of 'Marcella' and 'Add Some Music'.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »

Here's a review:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/05/beach_boys_beacon_theater_may_9_review.php#more

Plus this picture:

EDIT:

I'm not sure which concert the review is about. They say that Stamos played "the night before" but then they post the setlist of that same night
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:38:38 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »

Here's a review:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/05/beach_boys_beacon_theater_may_9_review.php#more

Plus this picture:

EDIT:

I'm not sure which concert the review is about. They say that Stamos played "the night before" but then they post the setlist of that same night

Tks for the reference - read it with great pleasure!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »

Very excited about the new developments in the set list!

Decided to visit the Benedum box office personally yesterday, and apparently the upper deck seats are gone. Only available ones are scattered in the orchestra section (btw - total capacity is 2,800).  I'll be there in Pittsburgh on Friday - right in the middle floor orchestra, about 17 rows back. Aisle seat.  Wink

Timing is EVERYTHING. You need good timin'.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:03:53 AM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:37 AM »

Very excited about the new developments in the set list!

Decided to visit the Benedum box office personally yesterday, and apparently the upper deck seats are gone. Only available ones are scattered in the orchestra section (btw - total capacity is 2,800).  I'll be there in Pittsburgh on Friday - right in the middle floor orchestra, about 17 rows back. Aisle seat.  Wink

Timing is EVERYTHING. You need good timin'.

Good for you.  Hope they repeat last nights play list for you...

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »

Here's a review:

Plus this picture:

EDIT:

The village voice essay was terrible; I posted the following comment about it on the VV site:

The essay states:
Up front with Love and Jardine is David Marks, who replaced Jardine briefly in 1962-The essay states: "1963 (though stage-parent Murry Wilson never let him near a mic on album), and who also played in the totally excellent late '60s psych outfit Moon ("She's On My Mind" would have been a great bust-out). He gets an occasional guitar solo, too."

This is reductive, inaccurate, and misleading. DM plays on each of the 5 first BB albums and sings harmony and at least one lead vocal (Summertime Blues).  You make him seem a afterthought, when, in actuality, he wrote many of the famous guitar parts that he is now dramatically shredding, such as those to 409 and Surfin' Safari.  You pay some proper heed to the band and to the historicity of the event, but I am constantly amazed, as an English professor, that too many critics can find only one "tone" to adopt in their critical prose: a snarky, wise-guy, aren't we too cool for this air of condescending, begrudging near dismissal. Since too many of you hipsters write like this, you all sound the same and, thus, not so hip, Village Voice. read the NYT piece, which comprehends poignancy better than you did. You barely tried.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »

SCORCH!!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

Oh come on, the review isn't THAT bad.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

Here's a review:

Plus this picture:

EDIT:

The village voice essay was terrible; I posted the following comment about it on the VV site:

The essay states:
Up front with Love and Jardine is David Marks, who replaced Jardine briefly in 1962-The essay states: "1963 (though stage-parent Murry Wilson never let him near a mic on album), and who also played in the totally excellent late '60s psych outfit Moon ("She's On My Mind" would have been a great bust-out). He gets an occasional guitar solo, too."

This is reductive, inaccurate, and misleading. DM plays on each of the 5 first BB albums and sings harmony and at least one lead vocal (Summertime Blues).  You make him seem a afterthought, when, in actuality, he wrote many of the famous guitar parts that he is now dramatically shredding, such as those to 409 and Surfin' Safari.  You pay some proper heed to the band and to the historicity of the event, but I am constantly amazed, as an English professor, that too many critics can find only one "tone" to adopt in their critical prose: a snarky, wise-guy, aren't we too cool for this air of condescending, begrudging near dismissal. Since too many of you hipsters write like this, you all sound the same and, thus, not so hip, Village Voice. read the NYT piece, which comprehends poignancy better than you did. You barely tried.

I understand your point, but must say I enjoyed reading the review. It is interesting that a reasonabily-informed reviewer, unafraid to point weaknesses, with an apparently sensitive ear, and with an ubiquitous smart-ass tone, left uncovered the autotune issue. Perhaps because there's none.  Roll Eyes

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »

Facebook:

Back Stage at The Beacon Theater with Glenn Close (she loved the show!)

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »

I notice that "Dave replaced Al... BRIEFLY" meme popping up in more than a few of these reviews and the inaccuracy of it really bugs me. No BB's fan outside of Hawthorne ever heard the name Al Jardine until 1964 after the band had already sold millions of records. David was in the Beach Boys lineup that became FAMOUS and SUCCESSFUL. Yes Al was a founder and is on that first single, but no one knew that until after Murry did his history re-write and expunged Dave from the rise to fame story. Hard to believe so many in the media still cling to that myth and think of Al as one of the guys on those first hits.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »

This is reductive, inaccurate, and misleading. DM plays on each of the 5 first BB albums and sings harmony and at least one lead vocal (Summertime Blues). 

My understanding is that Dave is on the first four (4) albums and possibly one or two instrumental tracks on the fifth.

My understanding is that Dave actually shared the lead vocal with Carl on "Summertime Blues".  And it seems to me that Carrie (or Jon) once said that Dave also sang on another one, but can't remember which one.

zep tepi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

This show was so swingin', rockin', beautiful, and heavy that I finally took the plunge and created an account after many a night spent lurking in the shadows of the board.

Being quite the youngster, with only a couple decades + 2 on my life experience belt, I've only seen Al's band with David and Mike & Bruce. Al & David's show was intimate and fun, and Mike and Bruce made sure their band took good care of these historical jewels we call Beach Boys songs. The thing about those shows was, they were fun and enjoyable. The songs sounded good, and everyone was in good spirits. But this show...seeing & hearing Brian, Mike, Al, David, Bruce, and the incredible backing band perform these songs...was a religious experience to say the least. These songs came alive in such an intense and special way. It literally felt like being inside the music, as if these songs were physical entities you could step into. It was like tumbling into the world inside my headphones.

David's guitar shrieked and swarmed over the audience as he tore out his heart, took a bite, and threw it on the audience during his solo's. This tour would not have been complete without David Lee Marks. The way the guys constantly praised Brian, give him little looks, nods, and smiles throughout the show, was beautiful. I couldn't help but harken back to this video as I watched David, Mike, and Brian during Surfin' Safari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74rreG0k5lA and think about time traveling to pull one of those Hawthorne kids into the future, probably David, and bring them to this show 50 years later. Now, to the songs!

Marcella! What a wonderful surprise! It sounded so fantastic and full. Before the song, as mentioned previously, Brian was playing the keyboard and doing some ooohohhhohh's, which was, for all intents and purposes, watching Brian Wilson jam for a few seconds. I thought that little preparation he was doing sounded like I Feel So Fine, and I couldn't help but wonder who slipped him some white stuff. I had to promptly explain to my girlfriend what "The Cocaine Sessions" were. At the end of Brian's noodling, Al got to the mic and sang "I have a girlfriend..." then said, "is that what you're playing?" I thought to myself, "wow! snippets of I Feel So Fine AND I'm So Young!" But then Marcella came out of the instruments and vocal chords, and pulled me by my ears back into the music. Stamos sort of took me out of the music for a moment with his drum solo before BTTYS, but that's what you get with Stamos, and if I had a chance to do a drum solo at a sold out Beach Boys show, I'd be wailin' before Mike even had a chance to go "wheeeeeeen" (which was extremely shortened tonight, and he didn't do his usual "old guy needs help getting up" routine with it). We're spoiled because John Cowsill's drumming is so tastefully perfect and hard hitting at the same time.

When the light went on over Brian's piano and all the guys were standing there, I thought they would all go back to their respective spots, but I noticed Al holding a mic between him and Bruce, and all of a sudden Add Some Music begins, and Mike tells me exactly what the Sunday morning gospel goes good with. It seemed like they were all still getting a grip on the song, reading the lyrics on top of the piano (Mike from Brian's teleprompter), and David seemed like he didn't exactly know what he was doing, but, Lord, those vocals. After the song, Bruce said something that sounded like, "first time in 41 years", but I may stand to be corrected on the accuracy of that. Heroes and Villains got a HUGE standing ovation that lasted, what seemed like, a good couple minutes. The guys seemed very appreciative of that. It made me wish even more than I normally do everyday that I had seen a live Brian Wilson Smile show after watching Nelson Bragg on the percussion of H&V. In fact, Nelson and Cowsill are a hell of a team. I went in expecting to watch Mike, Brian, David, Bruce, and Al the most, but the backing band is hard to take your eyes off of. That energy! Having a night sky filled with stars on the projector screen during parts of God Only Knows was a beautiful backdrop to Carl singing. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times was Brian in top form, singing his heart out. He really reached for some of those notes, grabbing 'em from above his head, and gracefully guiding them back into his larynx.

Again, as somewhat of a youngster, I'm not used to sit down concerts. I went with the ebbs and flows of the audience to be respectful, but I would have much rather been standing & grooving for songs like H&V and This Whole World, especially as I was completely within the music. What a special night. Go see this show!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »

Welcome and thank you for this very interesting review !!

Two questions:
Did Brian sing lead on "Marcella"?

Did the Forever-video work this time ?

- Jack Rieley
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »

Thank you for the review, Covalt. With moments like the ones you mentioned, this sounds like a great tour. I love that Brian was feeling a little more laid back and spontaneous with his musical family. I just HOPE they keep "Add Some Music" in their setlist.... the idea of them opening the second set and singing that around the piano sounds like a near religious moment. Can't wait till the hollywood bowl show!  Cool
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx