gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:03:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 114307 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »

Yeah -- from the YouTube videos, Stamos' playing is incredibly poor, and while I can understand them wanting their friend along, it seems like an insult to the audience to have him playing. There are *four* people, at least, on the stage who are better drummers than Stamos (Cowsill, Bragg, D'Amico, Bennett) , and to have Stamos splashing about while there are actual musicians who could be doing the job seems also to be rather disrespectful to the people who can do their job, and to people who want to hear the music played well. Thank God he won't be coming with them to Europe.

If they want to feature Stamos, maybe they could add Good Timin' to the set, let him take that as a lead vocal, and have that be it? He's done that competently enough with Mike & Bruce before now, and if they didn't drop any other songs for it that would mean it would add to the shows rather than detract from them.

That said, from the sound of the YouTube videos, Stamos is immensely popular with at least part of the crowd. And he's playing better than Kowalski did in his last few years with Mike & Bruce, so it could be worse.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2012, 05:23:58 AM »

All this talk about Stamos has got me wondering -- can anyone point me to a clip of David Marks taking the lead on Forever?  The YouTube gremlins seem to have eaten it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »

All this talk about Stamos has got me wondering -- can anyone point me to a clip of David Marks taking the lead on Forever?  The YouTube gremlins seem to have eaten it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ5NSatN8A

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »

Another review of the show:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/05/beach_boys_at_the_beacon_theat.html

Hey, it could have been worse. It could have been Bob Saget.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »

I think one time when I saw the Allman Brothers, Bruce Willis played harmonica on a song. that was weird.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »

I think one time when I saw the Allman Brothers, Bruce Willis played harmonica on a song. that was weird.

At the Beacon? I was there too! (Unless it happened more than once). Must have been in 2005 or 2006. I didn't realize it was Willis at the time, I just thought it was a random bald guy. My friends swore to it, however, and I learned it was true online a few days later.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »

Yeah, aside from this year, I've seen the Allman Brothers every time they've been at the Beacon since '03 or '04.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »

At the Beacon? I was there too! (Unless it happened more than once). Must have been in 2005 or 2006. I didn't realize it was Willis at the time, I just thought it was a random bald guy. My friends swore to it, however, and I learned it was true online a few days later.
This reminds me - has anyone seen the "Blues" episode of Eagleheart?

- B00ts
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »

Some pics I took:

b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »

Some pics I took:

Great pics!!

- B00ts
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »

Thanks boots!  Mike is always a fun person to aim a camera to.  More pictures from the second night will be posted in that thread shortly...
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2012, 01:15:20 PM »

check it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2uIri17nQ8

Add some music!  Cool

(apologies if this had already been posted, but I didn't see it anywhere in previous posts)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »

that's because it wasn't performed at this show.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG3fACbc2lE&feature=youtu.be

One more video I took....Not much of a clip but some good Brian singing.  I was totally impressed by Brian's work on that night.  He was really working hard, hitting the high notes.  I could see him reaching for the notes deep down.  He even joined Bruce on the whistling part on "Disney Girls" I thought that was great.

Another great moment was during "When I Grow Up to Be A Man" during the end when the background vocals go "Twenty-six!  Twenty-seven...." as Brian sang that all the way up to thirty he laughed to himself and said "Thirty! Yeah!  Woohoo!"  and chuckled to himself--as if he himself realizing just how wild these background vocals were.  It was a real great thing to see.  The guy next to me saw it too and thought it was great.  Brian was really ON...so good to see it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

Or, it was the irony of a 69 year old man singing 30 like it was old. Even at 54, man, 30 sounds so young, yet when I was 20 it seemed so far off.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

Well.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »

Ok, after reading the Rolling Stone article again and especially looking at the part that says some band members called this show a "travesty" and "theater" at the aftershow party, I couldn't help but think about some voices that claimed in joke that the incident with Dennis' video was planned so that Stamos could take the stage. I never would really believe that it happened like that but that RS article and the reactions of the band members make me wonder.....

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2012, 03:40:55 AM »

Ok, after reading the Rolling Stone article again and especially looking at the part that says some band members called this show a "travesty" and "theater" at the aftershow party, I couldn't help but think about some voices that claimed in joke that the incident with Dennis' video was planned so that Stamos could take the stage. I never would really believe that it happened like that but that RS article and the reactions of the band members make me wonder.....
Yeah.. you'd think they'd have the technical stuff in check (and rehearsed) for such a performance.  Roll Eyes But.. it's the BBs. Anything is possible. Guess we'll never know.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »

I just rewatched this show the other night and you could see that Mike was visibly dissapointed that the video did not work properly.  I was in attendance at that show and was standing right in front of David and all the guys were looking at each other and looking at the screen wondering what went wrong with the video.  When it was becoming clear that Dennis' lead vocal wasn't coming on Jeff motioned over to Brian to sing the lead: he pointed to his mouth and said out loud: "Sing!" but Brian either did not hear him or ignored him.  If it was really planned none of the members would have blinked an eye that the video was "malfunctioning."  But they did.  It was an honest flubup and to assume it was planned is unncessary conspiracy talk.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:57:50 PM by Justin » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »

2 years later and we might have confirmation. Nelson Bragg posted the following on his Facebook profile:

….a shame John sabotaged the Dennis Wilson video at The Beacon In NYC at the 2012 Beach Boys big 50th show …fake malfunction??...(towel around neck..waiting in the wing) to "save the day" as it were, in order to "show respect" and basically reinvent the word DOUCH?? John Stamos? We saw what you did…I was there…I saw the whole charade go down. Dennis Wilson would have punched your fucking lights out. no respect. Beach Boy fan? You? Are you fucking high??? Your the worst. Enjoy your golf buddies in Mike's band. - Nelson Bragg

It's a shame, really..

EDIT: For future reference - check out this thread of 20+ pages of discussion on the 'case': http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17981.0.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:39:30 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx