gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:57:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 114308 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »

The more the debate on this board intensifies about Stamos--the more he tries to withdraw from the proceedings.  Tonight, Stamos introduced the band again, played "Be True To Your Schoo"l on drums, came out later for 'Kokomo" and then took a very clear "final bow" and didn't return at all for any guitar work.  It's as if he wanted to make very clear..."Ok, I'm only out for a couple songs, don't throw tomatoes at me."  He was very respectful and gave the BB their space tonight....unlike last night where he sorta did take over a little.  A funny moment was Stamos playing guitar next to Brian during "Surfin' USA" Stamos made it clear to smile at Brian--Brian looked over and gave John the quickest "oh hello" smile ever.  It was hilarious...even Stamos laughed.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:20 PM »

John Stamos looks like he learned everything he knows about drumming from watching Ringo Starr in early Beatles' clips.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2012, 05:33:13 AM »

The Stamos incident.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkxNVV-QJI&feature=relmfu

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:50 AM »

Dat song sounds better now than it did in 1976.

I've never been crazy about the BBs doing this, but this must be their best version I've heard.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »

Can't hate the guy for this. Sorry folks.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2012, 05:59:45 AM »

He shouldn't be up there but he saved the day on this one. They do need to have some kind of contingency in place should these videos fail again though.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2012, 06:04:21 AM »

Yes, agreed, and I'm not seeing a problem, either.  Stamos often moves around the stage, sharing mics.  Check out some YouTubes.  It is no big deal for those who have seen the Touring Band for the last 10 years.  No big deal.  

Important is the photo tribute to handsome, hunky Denny.  Done beautifully and doing the chorus, really tastefully.  

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:06:53 AM by filledeplage » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:59 AM »

Yeah, clearly not planned and Stamos jumped in somewhat unawares - He's fiddling with his monitor most of the time.

As for a contingency plan, I think David should be on standby. Or, failing that, Scott B. He'd do a good (slightly clean) Dennis.

BTW, in case you were wondering what the video tributes looked like, same guy filmed the Carl one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmOQeKBoYg&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:22:23 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2012, 07:11:48 AM »

Check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XBMJ_ZM58&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hope I copied it correctly...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »

Ditto that. It was clear no one was going to step up and take the lead but it was also clear that they weren't going to do anything but forge forward through the song.
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2012, 07:16:32 AM »

Aegir LOL John wasn't yelling at Stamos. They are friends. Check the comments John has made about Stamos. Very positive. COOL HEAD WARM HEART:)
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2012, 07:46:08 AM »

Check this one out.

I love this clip.  I wish Carl would have performed this more often. 
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2012, 08:03:51 AM »

I can't believe my first post is defending John Stamos, but isn't it entirely possible that no one in the band knows the lyrics to "Forever" and that they're not on the prompter because it's usually a recorded track playing?

Stamos might have been the only one able to jump in.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »

Check this one out.

It is so cool, on many levels...

Maybe there is some way of incorporating Carl's rendition to Dennis into the tribute section, with them singing along as well.  What I've seen on Youtube has been spectacular. [Even if verboten   Wink ]

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »

Check this one out.

What I like about it is I can hear the resemblance in the two brothers' voices, which I've never really noticed before. It's mostly at the beginning of the verses, where Carl's voice sounds like Dennis', although at the end of each phrase it's distinctly Carl's vibrato/perfect voice.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/arts/music/beach-boys-beacon-theater-music-review.html?_r=1

Check this one out.

From the same concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M85Fm21b5iY

I don't think the Beach Boys performed this song between '88 and this current tour
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:59:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »

Rocker - I think I've heard Brian's band doing "This Whole World" - and so cool.  But, the setlist decisions are so "Solomon-like" with the dilemma of what to choose...There is just so much from which to choose.  So many little factions to make happy;  those 60-70 year olds  all the way to those in their 20's and younger and those in between.  And, they must be bombarded with things to do, interviews, promos, rehearsals, setlist modifications, just everything...   

Brian looked really happy when he was doing a section on some song, Surfer Girl, I think, which I saw on Youtube, and, really handsome. He has much of which to be very proud, as do the rest.   

Smiley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »

John Stamos looks like he learned everything he knows about drumming from watching Ringo Starr in early Beatles' clips.

uh no.  Ringo is a musician's drummer.  Not a wannabe fanboy.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »

Rocker - I think I've heard Brian's band doing "This Whole World" - and so cool.

Yeah, it's on the Roxy album. But I was talking about the Beach Boys.  Wink

I searched the web for some pictures via google. Please excuse if one or two were already posted.

I didn't post any pictures of Stamos introducing them.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:31:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »

I'm talking about the way Stamos looks drumming, not how he sounds drumming. 
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »

Stamos doesn't bring anything to TBB except scattered energy. Having seen about 20 concerts. half with and half without him, the ones without him are head and shoulders above the ones with him. Please, please, please don't have him perform in SoCal. I hope his career peaks later this month and he has prior commitments and won't be able to attend more BB shows.

I do actually like the guy and talked with him after a show. His first question was "Was I OK ?" He seemed to really be trying. However, TBB don't need any help to have a great show. I just want to see them.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »

I'm talking about the way Stamos looks drumming, not how he sounds drumming. 

Ah, yes, ha ha ha!.  You're right!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »

Cool pictures Rocker.

The one total group shot also caught Brian smiling to the audience. Good timing indeed!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2012, 01:53:27 AM »

I just don't get it. Stamos has been a touring member since the 80s, over 20 years - that's nearly 40 years! He sounds exactly like Dennis did in his prime! Real "soulful"! I don't know why anyone ever complains about him because he sounds great. These are the facts. John Stamos, who has been with the band since the 80s, should be on stage singing real loud and adjusting Mike's shirt when he's worried that someone in the crowd might think Mike's shirt isn't up to par with his shirts in the 60s. I think he sounds great, not at all like a bloated tub of awful well past its already unimpressive prime, thus he really sounds great. The Stamos hate is tiring and needs to end solely because I disagree with it. If you make fun of Stamos, you're just jealous and want to be him.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:10:15 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »

Notice Jeff air-nudging Brian to start singing after the Forever glitch, and how John straight up robs his mic rather than move towards it. When will the theories of Stamos cutting the audio to get his glory moment start to formulate?  LOL

I don't have much of a problem with him as a person, I liked him on Full House and he seems like a good dude. But if his presence compromises the quality of the music (lousy drumming) or creates an obvious visual nuisance by him jumping around, playing rock star and gracing everyone's mic with his pointless backups, then it goes without saying that the show would be better off without him. Some MC'ing and percussion on Kokomo would be just fine. Either way I'm glad he was nowhere to be found at the reunion gig I caught.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx