gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:27:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 115022 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »

To those who cite the long history John Stamos has with the Beach Boys, he has NO connection to the recorded history of their music that's being celebrated and lovingly presented on this reunion tour.
Unfortunately, that's not entirely true...

What I wrote is entirely true.
Isn't Dennis and his music celebrated at this tour?  Huh Stamos once recorded a Dennis song, so obviously "he has NO connection" is not a true statement.  Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

We've often been told that "people" are "watching" this board, so let's hope that if there is any thought being given to making this Stamos thing a regular thing (which we have no evidence it is; it may just be a NY thing), those "watching" us will note that we in large part don't like it. It's less about Stamos being annoying at this point and more about mucking up what appears to be a surprisingly dignified full reunion tour where they are keeping the spectacle to a minimum, and doing some relatively rare cuts, and are passing the lead vocals around, and giving us over 40 songs and two hours per night.

Maybe if the backing band was actually at all annoyed by Stamos, they may be able to politely say to management that Stamos can stick to bongos on "Kokomo" and serve an actual good function, which is a big fan.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »

The "Forever" glitch last night was a travesty. It should be noted that some people on the stage weren't even aware of the problem until it was too late. It should have been wrapped up immediately and returned to later in the show. As far as Stamos, who's been at both shows I've caught thus far, it wouldn't be so grating if he wasn't such a distraction -- and it is EVERY TIME. There are two fantastic drummers trading off onstage and -- bar none -- every time Stamos gets behind the kit he's the worst of them. It makes the music worse. Playing standing up, the superfluous cymbal crashes, not listening, playing ahead of the beat, the endless hogging and hamming -- it's all SCHTICK. Any other musician would do their best, Stamos doesn't. It's a big goof. It wouldn't be so bad if his appearance was relegated to "Be True To Your School" and "Kokomo" -- if at all. But a whole mini-set on drums, then the faux guitar playing and the need to share a mic with EVERYONE -- it's tedious and frankly, poor showmanship 101. I can't begrudge him taking over the "Forever" vocal because the band was carrying on with NO ONE singing, but as my wife asked, "So, does he just come onstage and do whatever he wants???" I told her, "Yes."

GEEZ, this sounds disgusting.  WTF is this, John Stamos featuring the Beach Boys?!?!??!?  This is a SICK JOKE?

NY Times: "John Stamos, the actor, who introduced the band, grew intrusive in return visits to the stage, sitting in on drums and clowning on guitar"

Return visits to the stage?  Yikes!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »

The last thing it [GV] needs is a lame audience participation segment. There's a difference between connecting with fans and condescending to them.

I'm not talking about an audience participation thing; they could use any lyrics for a singalong.

I'm talking about an emotional connection thing. When the BBs changed that one word in concert, GV wasn't about some abstract woman anymore -- it became a song for all of us in the audience. From abstract to personal, between the band and us. Maybe it was just something the long-gone Denny and Carl cooked up (feels like them) -- I have no idea where it originated -- but I miss it!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:11:53 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »

Well Stamos was responsible for one good thing last night - this picture

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »

John Stamos is washed up and leeching off the success of the reunion tour at this point.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »

I don't have an opinion about the "Forever" thing (If he really did step in to finish the song it was a good save) but I saw him at the Al Jardine Roxy show and he played like a formerly decent drummer who was really out of practice, and it did affect the performance of the song I thought.  I agree that if you're going to sit in on something like drums, you really have to take it seriously.  A crappy drum performance destroys the song for everybody.
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

I hope he doesn't show up for my concerts.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »

There should appear a book, dedicated to the reunion. It's more than worth it, folks.
Great idea. Book (concert reviews, interviews, photos, etc.) + DVD of concert footage (also available separately) + bonus CD of selected concert performances (or the reunion LP).

My cash would be all over that

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »

The Stamos effect is in full force because it is distracting from an otherwise great show.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »

It's because it cheapens the whole thing like the cheerleaders did. Full House was a make believe show. There is no Uncle Jessie and serious fans don't need any pretend Beach Boys. We have David Marks (a true Beach Boy) there for real this time around, and a huge fantastic backing band. That should be more than enough to please any crowd.
It cheapens it in your own mind. Many fans who attend (paying most of the money) these shows have no isuues whatsoever with Stamos on stage. Also, as much as I agree with Andrew on most things here, I do not understand his stand on Stamos. As an historian of the band, you of all people should understand the marketing & advertising reasons for including Stamos these past 25 years or so. For people who don't like him, that's fine, don't like him. As their history shows, The Beach Boys do what they want, when they want, and very rarely stray from what works in their concert setting. For most fans who attend these shows, John Stamos is an added attraction that helps keep future fannies in the seats. I know one thing hanging around this place; hardcore fans are never happy. There always has to be something to bitch about; Stamos. Autotune, holograms (stuff that never happened), Brian too far side stage, etc.. I love coming here and learning, sharing the love of the music, reading these concert reviews, but the constant bemoaning of the same topics in thread after thread, after thread really wears thin. I'm done ranting, sorry I steered off-track. I'm glad those of you who attended the show had a great time. Awaiting my turn in another week and a half.

Stamos is an added attraction for most people who attend these shows?HuhHuh Really MOST people.

FYI, Stamos came along during the dark ages of the touring Beach Boys(IMO), when they were phoning it in and putting out crap like SIP. A time when many lifelong fans like myself became disillusioned, Denny was gone and it appeared Brian would never really be back. They had cheerleaders spoiling the songs and then Stamos. He added nothing then and he adds even less now. He is no "added attraction" of any sort and has never been a marketing help. How did his appearance in the Summer of Love video help that monstrosity? If you actually think a lot of women are going to attend a 50th year celebration of one of the greatest bands ever because a third rate actor who was cute on a show 20 years ago might show up and pound on the drums then.........................

Don't forget he was "Blackie Parrish" on "General Hospital" as well, which endeared him to boomer women more than "Full House" did. But yeah, he pretty much sucks as a musician.  He's tolerable on yogurt commercials and looks good for his age, but they might as well put Fabio on drums as Stamos.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »

John Stamos is washed up and leeching off the success of the reunion tour at this point.
Nonsense. I've been under the impression that he is in fact working nonstop. And didn't he have a succesful Broadway show not long ago? He's joining the BBs as a fan, not to capitalise on the reunion. Which wouldn't make much sense anyway, since his name appears virtually nowhere in context with the individual shows (it's not that they're billed as "The Beach Boys featuring special guest John Stamos" - now that would be "leeching").
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »

Nonsense. I've been under the impression that he is in fact working nonstop. And didn't he have a succesful Broadway show not long ago? He's joining the BBs as a fan, not to capitalise on the reunion. Which wouldn't make much sense anyway, since his name appears virtually nowhere in context with the individual shows (it's not that they're billed as "The Beach Boys featuring special guest John Stamos" - now that would be "leeching").
I would have less of a problem with him if it was 1985-1998 BBs that were super cheesy, but with Brian on the 50th tour should be respectful to the legacy and have minimum cheese.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »

I noticed that when they were projecting the album covers behind the band, including live albums and compilations, they left out Summer In Paradise.

Do they show the Smile cover or are they using just the regular classic albums ?

BRIAN SING BACKUP VOCALS     Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »

Few more clips online: http://www.youtube.com/user/badboyview
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »

And there he is. In all his glory  Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62aMmgzyjk&list=UURcS7TRPpmtExGQSAQCQR3Q&index=3&feature=plcp

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »

Wow Brian sounds great.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »

Oh how nice. He is charging $25 shipped if you want a copy of the whole show.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »

You can always flag his videos as spam/advertising.  Then again, if successful that will result in the videos being pulled.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

Be true to your school really brought the house down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zridytckk

Also "This whole world" is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIdijSZRzLw

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »

Oh how nice. He is charging $25 shipped if you want a copy of the whole show.
I exchanged a few e-mails with him, asking primarily for IJWMFTT. He said he'd wait for the 2nd show, then.. "maybe". In the meantime I'm happy about any clip that surfaces.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:37:59 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »

I just love, love, love the fact that whenever Brian takes the bridge on Surfer Girl, the crowd goes wild. Warms the old cockles, it does.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »

I just love, love, love the fact that whenever Brian takes the bridge on Surfer Girl, the crowd goes wild. Warms the old clockles, it does.  Grin
Yes. Yes, it does.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »

I just love, love, love the fact that whenever Brian takes the bridge on Surfer Girl, the crowd goes wild. Warms the old clockles, it does.  Grin
Brian is Back!  Cool

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »

Be true to your school really brought the house down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zridytckk

Also "This whole world" is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIdijSZRzLw

Brian sounds very good on TWW

Here's Forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkxNVV-QJI&feature=channel&list=UL
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:51:44 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx